Best "Value" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgb84

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm going to pick up a 24" bar for my dolmar and am curious as to what y'all would recommend. I want a good bar at a reasonable price. I've looked at carlton speed tip, forester pro, Oregon powermatch, etc. Its really not going to get used all that much I just do this mostly for fun and the occasional storm debris clean up.

Whatever is on sale at the local TSC or saw shop. If your part of Bailey's email distribution list for sales then wait for the free shipping sale to come around and grab one from their bargain tree. Carlton seems to make descent stuff for less than most of the others, WoodlandPro seems to as well. Oregon Powermatch are a pro grade bar and they're pretty 'spensive. Biggest bang for the buck, well, guess I should let people that buy a lot more guide bars than I do weigh in on that. I have a feeling that that can be subjective.

I"ve had good luck with the forester bars, I don't log for a living, but for occasional wood cutting it seems to hold up very well for the price.

If the carlton is in the price range pick it. A total bar from a jonsered dealer would also be a great choice at a usually good price.

Just bought a 24" Woodlandpro from Baileys for $32 + shipping. Haven't run it yet but it's for occasional use as you stated. Heck, you can buy two for the price of some other bars.

You sure it was a woodland bar?

Baileys will have some smoking deals on bars or bar and chain combos from time to time on their bargain tree. Sometimes I will find a decent deal on Ebay. Are you near any other AS members? Nothing wrong with finding a used b/c, and save yourself a few bucks.

You sure it was a woodland bar?

Baileys, Woodland Pro Timbermax Bars are being done by Bailey's from what I heard, not made by Canon like some of the bars they used too have. Theres a thread here somewhere about them coming out sometime around Oct. I've been wondering about some feedback from members here on them given the low price they have on them. Haven't seen much yet though.

Your expected use will dictate value. A quality bar is worth it if you're putting the hours on it. I use my saws quite a bit so I stick with the Oregons

I personally don't like any single rivet tip bars like Oregon or rebadged Oregon bars. The tips run themselves loose over medium use. That doesn't happen with total super bars, Windsor bars and other pro bars that have more than one rivet securing the tip.

What dolmar are you running it on? I would look for a NOS bar on eBay for $30-$50. The older bars have better steel anyhow. Which is another reason Windsor and total bars are the way to go. Their steel is better quality. Some Carlton bars are rebadged Windsor's. just look at the style of tip it has.

Im an Oregon guy...but have tried the Forester bars......and I gotta tell ya..they arent that bad . Especially if only being used every now and then !

The best value is a laser pro from terry at wicked work saw. Those are the second best bar I have used behind a stihl es bar. They barley cost more than a forester if any at all. I also have had great service from the forester bars for the money.

The best value is a laser pro from terry at wicked work saw. Those are the second best bar I have used behind a stihl es bar. They barley cost more than a forester if any at all. I also have had great service from the forester bars for the money.
If they are the "laser" I'm thinking of they are a TSB and are better than a Stihl ES bar.

nsteve its a 6400

Well you have a D009 bar mount so that will keep your options pretty wide open. Seems like the K095 bars can never be found in 24in for a decent price.

This is a windsor made bar and is better than the grey and green Forester bars, and most definitly better than Oregon. It's about the best bar you'll find in the $45-$75 range. Maybe find a Stihl ES bar for around the same but then you have a bar adapter to buy.
[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forester-Professional-Chainsaw-Bar-24-for-Husqvarna-other-sizes-see-details-/181293465339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a35eebefb[/URL]

You can also buy a universal bar adapter from Mike (Homelite410) and that will convert your bar mount to the 12mm D025 Stihl Rollomatic ES bar.

I ordered bars on clearance from CuttersChoice and the bigger ones turned out to be Tsumuras. Very nice bars for a good price.

Were they labled Ultra? The Ultra bars from CC are Laser branded TSB's/total super bars/tsumura bars.

Were they labled Ultra? The Ultra bars from CC are Laser branded TSB's/total super bars/tsumura bars.
Yeah, they turned out to be Ultras, but they were just advertised as basically no name clearance bars. I got surprised in a good way. Think I paid like $30 for a 28'' tsumura. :clap:

Yeah, they turned out to be Ultras, but they were just advertised as basically no name clearance bars. I got surprised in a good way. Think I paid like $30 for a 28'' tsumura. :clap:
sweet! I do love me some TSB action. I've been waiting to find a bulk buy on the replacement tips. I hate buying a $12-$20 tip when I find bars for a little more than that and mill them out to the bar pattern I want/need.

Back