Best vintage Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vintage?

IMHO the Husky 272Xp is the best saw ever made...

I just love my Husky 385XP.... Love it... she just keeps getting more and more power...
BUT... I also love my Baby Husky 235 :) it is cute and it cuts good for what it is.

So to answer your Question,

Husky 272XP
Wow,if a 272 is vintage what would you consider saws from 60's- 70's?It just shows how far saws have come when you compare a 272 to a Homelite Super XL Automatic which was a frigin kickass saw in it's day.Oh my,automatic oiling!Say nothing of the improvements of chain.Anybody's memory better than mine about the introduction of "chisel"chain?The first chisel chain I remember running was branded "Raket".
1980?

I got some trigger time on a 162se with a muff mod. I did a little clean up work on it and fixed the recoil for a buddy. I was in shock at how fast that thing blazed through the wood with the 18" bar. The metal chain brake sets and resets far more positive than the plastic, single hinged ones that followed it. The weight seemed pretty reasonable too.

After running it I kind of lost my taste for the 2xx saws. Give me old magnesium and aluminum or give me the modern 3xx or 5xx saws.

Chisel chain goes way back, possibly from the mid '50s.

This is 9/16", came off a Titan 5200.

P1010304.jpg

Hard choice

That's a tough one. I like too many Husky's. The saw that I have the most time on, is an old 162SE. That saw was a screamer in it's day. I have rebuilt it, and I still use it now.
The 2100 is a tough strong saw.
The 288XP, is probably the best all around saw for the choice. Power to weight is incredible.

Wow,if a 272 is vintage what would you consider saws from 60's- 70's?It just shows how far saws have come when you compare a 272 to a Homelite Super XL Automatic which was a frigin kickass saw in it's day.Oh my,automatic oiling!Say nothing of the improvements of chain.Anybody's memory better than mine about the introduction of "chisel"chain?The first chisel chain I remember running was branded "Raket".
1980?

The 272xp is still made by Husky in Brazil, as is the 288xp and the 61. :msp_wink:

I didn't specify what "vintage" was to me since it really depends on the person you ask, so I left it up to you guys. I picked up a 262xp and absolutely love the saw, enough that I have another one on the way. This whole chainsaw collecting thing gets very addicting really fast. So far it seems the 262, 272 and the 288's are the preferred saws that collectors want. Guess its Ebay time!

346:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:Hey, it's out of production!!

I love and have multiples of the 288/262/346. I love them all and they are definitely great saws. Each is very capable of holding its own against the more modern saws from any manufacturer.

Chisel chain goes way back, possibly from the mid '50s.

You are completely right. Chisel chain has been around for many more years than people realize. It is in the 1956 Oregon catalog. I have 3/4 chisel on a KB7 Mercury

The 272xp is still made by Husky in Brazil, as is the 288xp and the 61. :msp_wink:

Well yeah..........but isn't the 070 still being produced there too?:hmm3grin2orange:

A new 288XP and 272XP would be cool to have. Saw NOS examples of each on feebay recently. Somebody paid over $1400 US for the 288XP.:dizzy:

Well yeah..........but isn't the 070 still being produced there too?:hmm3grin2orange:

A new 288XP and 272XP would be cool to have. Saw NOS examples of each on feebay recently. Somebody paid over $1400 US for the 288XP.:dizzy:

I am not really sure if the 070 and 090 are made in Germany or Brazil at this point...

The 070 is called MS720 on some markets.

For firewood and felling, a 266XP with a 20"x3/8" bar. For the landing and milling, my 2100 I already own, but I'd have a 24" bar on it. A 181 would be a nice in between saw.

The Huskys from that era are THE classic saws in my opinion.

So just how does one go about acquiring a saw from Brazil? Can one be bought by a traveller and brought back without the import duties being prohibitive? A brand spanking new 288xp is intriguing . . .

-WSJ

When I was growing up my dad bought a new L77 husky and he used it ALOT for years. He gave it to me a few years back and I did a half a$$ restore on it. It would be cool to have a nos 77. I consider them to be somewhat vintage. I also have his 272 and I have a 2100 and 2101. All great saws. Husqvarna has made some nice saws over the years.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back