Best way to determine if the ground is frozen enough

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

square1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
There's a tree I need to go get, its too far away to drive the tractor pulling the woods trailer, but it's also a few hundred yards off the road, across a lawn, and through a meadow (with low, typically wet in spring and fall areas) to where the tree stands.

How do you gauge if the ground is frozen enough to support your vehicle (2 wheel drive F250 pick-up that weighs nearly 7k pounds and trailer to load the wood on)? I'm well versed in after the fact analysis, but am getting too old to deal with the consequences of that method ;)

What ya got?

Generally, you'll be able to gauge this with the first trip in and out.

BUT, ground cover will act as a blanket of insulation. Any taller than grass height vegetation will keep the ground from freezing, especially if its a wet area. Caveat being actual air temperature. Obviously the colder it is the better chance the ground will freeze.

I would walk the area with a spade and anywhere I can get it into the ground more than 1", I wouldn't drive over. Stay away from low areas, while these tend to be colder than high areas, they have 2 distinct drawbacks. They hold water and they are protected from the effects of wind.

We have an area at work that has wood laying in it that we can never get to. Its a semi low area so its always wet. And it never gets enough frost in the ground to support continued vehicular operation. Couple trips in and out is fine, but eventually the little bit of frost gets broken through and its done. The main detriment to it freezing is the vegetation. We laid these trees out there many years ago during a drought. I was able to get in there last year for about a month due to a serious lack of moisture. But then it rained... Haven't been able to get back in since.

I have the same issue getting to the bush. I clear the snow away and hope it freezes better. About all you can do is dig down and use your heel to push into the ground. It's still a guessing game. I would also just use the truck and haul the rounds out to the trailer. Take a couple of planks with you and when you get to where you are parking lay them down and park the truck on them. Sometimes all you need is that short run to get moving and then don't stop. Like this but put the planks together end to end and I myself wouldn't use the camper for firewood. 1st pic the ground might be too soft.
IMG_20161204_122907.jpg
Parkingboards_zps94137be9.jpg

There in lies my dilemma. I really, really want that to be a round trip with the only stop being at the tree's position [emoji23]
It's a crap shoot. 2" of frost would be sufficient to support your truck. But I'd straddle your tracks if you have to make more than 1 trip.

sent from a field

Sometimes being too anxious to get the wood out can create problems and calateral damage. As mentioned, if you prep the trail and let the frost set in you can get in and out in the early morning before the sun starts melting things.
If you create ruts and get stuck it doesnt look to professional to the neighbors.
I'd just be patient until conditions are just right.
Prepairing the trail with an atv will force frost into the ground if conditions are cold enough.

I had to wait until my lawn froze before having a couple of trees taken down with the use of a bucket truck. I used my snow blower to clear a section of lawn to allow the truck to back in without doing damage to the lawn. Having the ground exposed to cold air for 2 weeks made for an easy take down of the trees.

DSC02023.JPG DSC02024.JPG

Back