Best way to pack a bar wrench , Or , how do you keep your bar wrench with you ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir, Mountain Money is good old fashion toilet paper. I don't leave the crummy without it. Always have a quarter roll in a ziplock baggy inside my tin lid.

I never had any sleeves on my shirts when I was logging. . . They got sacrificed for the cause. :laugh:

I guess that is one advanage ot bein an east coast cutter, during the summer months, we get to use Poplar leaves which are IMO batter than cottonell or Charmen. . .

The good thing about working in the rain forest. Plenty of moss. It's the loggers friend, especially that kind that grows on vine maple. You'll never know how tough you are though 'till you have to wipe with a snowball.:mad:

The good thing about working in the rain forest. Plenty of moss. It's the loggers friend, especially that kind that grows on vine maple. You'll never know how tough you are though 'till you have to wipe with a snowball.:mad:

That sounds cold. I'm a tough guy when it comes to cold, but I'm not so sure I'd be happy wiping with a snowball.

Snow is preferable to our moss. It has volcano ash in it. When one is not tall, one has lots of fabric on the tuck in part of one's shirt. The rest is self explanatory. But, if one is tall, use the sleeves cuz a logger in a middie is not a pretty sight. :cheers:

Not only did I get my ass chewed . and rightly so I might add , but I lernt a new word ................
. I,de be screwed blued and tattoed without my bar wrench on me .. I try to always keep 1 Stihl bar wrench and a spare Husky bar wrench ..with my jugs and tramp sack ........
.. I prefer typing 2 words Bar wrench to one word scrench ...sounds too much like scrunch , I don,t want my wrench getting scrunched ........
. I greatly apologize gologit, It was never my intention to cast aspersions on your character ,intent ,ability ,or experience .....

No problem...it's just kinda like working, a couple of guys have a disagreement and they get it settled and life goes on.

And you're right about having to peel the power head off if a big one sets down on your bar. We got into a bunch of two year old burned stuff that were like stove pipes a while back. It got so bad that my partner said he was going to start using wing nuts instead of bar nuts. :) On that job my scrench stayed in my back pocket.

Snow is preferable to our moss. It has volcano ash in it. When one is not tall, one has lots of fabric on the tuck in part of one's shirt. The rest is self explanatory. But, if one is tall, use the sleeves cuz a logger in a middie is not a pretty sight. :cheers:

Using bits of clothing is a lot better than moss or snow...just make sure there aren't any gobs of pitch stuck to the cloth. I'll leave the resulting scene to your imagination. :cry:

Brown paper lunch sacks, biodegradable and can be used as flagging for that type of danger zone.

The old style McCulloch bar tool was flat, I kept in the side pocket of my WildAss pants

Use moss....unless you get hemlock poisoning:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Hey it went from bar wrench to t.p. I would usually keep both in a pack or bag near my fuel. But if its a tuff show both might be in my back pocket. If you get caught in a tight spot it is easy to improvize on the tp, tho not always pleasant. But you about have to have some kind of metal tool for the bar nuts.

... GOTTA BE ABLE TO GET THE POWERHEAD OFF THE BAR ,,RIGHT NOW .....

. If I loose your bar and chain , that sucks , but oh well ,,. The power head gets munched , Thats Way expensive and real bad .....
.Which leads into a rabbit trail .....
. Most know this , for those who don,t .... When falling or bucking trees that are broke or split or have alot of frost or quake shake in them . If things start getting tight , get the dogs away from the bark or wood far enough so if you need to take your power head off you have room to twist the power head and flip the chain off the rim and it,s free ..... Thats a technique you need to be pretty good at up here ., unless your rich enough to buy a bunch of powerheads every year ...

No problem...it's just kinda like working, a couple of guys have a disagreement and they get it settled and life goes on.

And you're right about having to peel the power head off if a big one sets down on your bar. We got into a bunch of two year old burned stuff that were like stove pipes a while back. It got so bad that my partner said he was going to start using wing nuts instead of bar nuts. :) On that job my scrench stayed in my back pocket.

Or when time is at a premium & wood is a cracking, before the power head becomes a consumible If the... 'back of the bar is ground out'...
just loosen the nuts & break the chain with a wedge.

Seems like one could add a thong thru the barrel of the scrench on the supenders & tie it off to keep from hunting for it like one might a lost can of snoose!
To me the scrench belongs upon the person or with the gas/oil jugs.
Let the young fellows pay the premium for a light weight power head then add weight to it, they recover Quicker.
Then at days end rather than only thinking about the last piece...there will be some wood left.....

BTW: Seed cones are directional...:greenchainsaw:

I,ve chopped a chain with my ax and punched a bar stud down into the oil tank on a 2101 Husky and got er clear in time .......But if you can get the dogs away from the tree or log far enough everything is easier and less expensive . I,ve done the pop the e clip and get a stihl in the clear with 064s and 044s . but It's best to get things clear ... Faster to go back to making money ..

Anybody need a spare right hand glove ??

:cheers:

I worked with some guys that used their gloves and kept on using them afterwards. I think these are the type timber beast was coined for.
I did not come up and help on the riggin with that crew. Stayed as far away as possible

I worked with some guys that used their gloves and kept on using them afterwards. I think these are the type timber beast was coined for.
I did not come up and help on the riggin with that crew. Stayed as far away as possible

Ewwwww. . .

I am in no way an expert on these matters or on any saw matters, but I have learned somewhat to improvise. I use an 8 inch knife sheath, with this I can carry up to 2 scrench's and my file. You can search around the internet or ebay for knife sheaths, really quite cheap or you can make a sheath out of nylon webbing, pretty easy if you can sew....LOL I can't.
I wear the knife sheath on my belt and away I go. This is not mine...but something like this I found on the internet works, it is real close to what I use.

attachment.php

Last edited:
.. Green T . I am ok at sewing , Tho the guy who taught me a lot of things about leather work cringes when he sees my stiches .... He could be selling high dollar leather goods but doesn,t .. must have a real good retirement . Anyway I,ve come up with a design using a 5" section of copper tubing pinched off at the bottom end .A section of stiff leather for the back that is about 7" tall by 1" wide and a piece of strong but flexable leather leather for the front of it .. 2 leather verticle .suspender loops , a flap top with a snap ... I figure in a month of cutting there will get enough fine saw dust down the thing that the bar wrench won,t rattle around when I walk ... I will wear it vertically on my left suspender and will possibly put a small Harness buckle running above the top flap to run my spender leather thru so if my spenders pull or jump a stump or 2,, I won,t loose it .And it will ALWAYS BE ON MY SPENDERS . Not forgotten on the washing machine on laundry day ......................
. I described this in good enough detail hopeing someone will make one .. Post it on here so I can buy it from them .. It will save me time that I already don,t have ..... They can start a cottage industry !!!
Being considerably more rotund than Cody , the stabbing thru the spenders,,, did not work out !!!

snows not bad,moss can ughm well leave lil bits to grind away...
always liked the side pocket below the hammer loop for the scrench,never lost one yet,pull it out many many times a day in the summer to dig out zircs on heavy equip.
Only time it falls out is on some coveralls without the hammerloop,when I jump back in the kenworth.

ak

.. Green T . I am ok at sewing , Tho the guy who taught me a lot of things about leather work cringes when he sees my stiches .... He could be selling high dollar leather goods but doesn,t .. must have a real good retirement . Anyway I,ve come up with a design using a 5" section of copper tubing pinched off at the bottom end .A section of stiff leather for the back that is about 7" tall by 1" wide and a piece of strong but flexable leather leather for the front of it .. 2 leather verticle .suspender loops , a flap top with a snap ... I figure in a month of cutting there will get enough fine saw dust down the thing that the bar wrench won,t rattle around when I walk ... I will wear it vertically on my left suspender and will possibly put a small Harness buckle running above the top flap to run my spender leather thru so if my spenders pull or jump a stump or 2,, I won,t loose it .And it will ALWAYS BE ON MY SPENDERS . Not forgotten on the washing machine on laundry day ......................
. I described this in good enough detail hopeing someone will make one .. Post it on here so I can buy it from them .. It will save me time that I already don,t have ..... They can start a cottage industry !!!
Being considerably more rotund than Cody , the stabbing thru the spenders,,, did not work out !!!

Would you be apposed to wearing something on your hip (like a Leatherman tool), or you want something that clips on your suspenders?

Back