best way to shorten split wood any contraptions or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_90125

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
well I have a lot of split wood that is now too long for the new stove that was set in.whats the best way to resize it?any devices that can make it easier?I can fit them in east to west but prefer north south.probably several cords this way and hate to burn it east west as cannot fill it as full or tight.
thanks

I would just take the chainsaw to the stack and cut it in half or a couple of inches off one end.
Not sure if cutting them individually would be fast enough.
CHad

yes I was thinking of cutting in half so at least I would have bunch of same size pieces.but probably 9 to 8 inches off.way too many to do with a chop saw.
maybe I should just sort to the closes and sell the rest that are too long. as I guess it is really worth the effort tho it is good dry hardwood.

yes I was thinking of cutting in half so at least I would have bunch of same size pieces.but probably 9 to 8 inches off.way too many to do with a chop saw.
maybe I should just sort to the closes and sell the rest that are too long. as I guess it is really worth the effort tho it is good dry hardwood.

Sounds like you either have 1) too much time on your hands, or 2) have too much firewood on your hands.

Hard to hold/stabilize small pieces when cutting with a chainsaw, unless you have them stacked someway that they won't move while you cut.

If you have to pick them up anyway, easy to run them through a chop saw or running band saw with a coarse blade.

Philbert

I have a firewood saw horse that can hold wood that is too long and I can cut it. Take 2 2"x4" and bolt them together in the middle, swing them apart from eachother to form an "X" shape. Make 2 more of these and then take another 2"x4" and screw it to all three of the "X" pieces just below the bolt so that when the "X" is open it will stop at the right height. Make sure you space the "X" pieces out so that it will hold the wood and you can cut in the middle.

I use this to mainly cut branches but I also cut long pieces with it. Here is a picture similar to what I have made. I made mine so the pivot carriage bolt is more in the middle of the "X" pieces so I can get more then 1 log on it.
sawhorsewood.jpg

Also I have see people use something like this to cut long pieces:
images
or
images
. these might be better suited to what you need.

hey thats a great idea and may even work and have a bunch of 2x4 around and looks like you can do a bunch at a time.
thanks

I have a firewood saw horse that can hold wood that is too long and I can cut it. Take 2 2"x4" and bolt them together in the middle, swing them apart from eachother to form an "X" shape. Make 2 more of these and then take another 2"x4" and screw it to all three of the "X" pieces just below the bolt so that when the "X" is open it will stop at the right height. Make sure you space the "X" pieces out so that it will hold the wood and you can cut in the middle.

I use this to mainly cut branches but I also cut long pieces with it. Here is a picture similar to what I have made. I made mine so the pivot carriage bolt is more in the middle of the "X" pieces so I can get more then 1 log on it.
sawhorsewood.jpg

Also I have see people use something like this to cut long pieces:
images
or
images
. these might be better suited to what you need.

You definitely NEED this rediculois machine. These crazy Scandinavian people like to build very complicated machines to process wood that has already been partially processed....

I've seen more crazy machines that perform the same task but cannot find the videos right now.

But seriously you have to wonder why the machine that cut and split the long piece of firewood didn't just cut it shorter the first time!

I have the same problem. I built a "v" on legs with a back plate and made it 2" shorter than my ideal length. I also drilled holes through the side panels and run a HD 2' bungee through to hold pieces in place. My "jig" holds about 8 pieces at a time.

I have 7 cord that still needs to be shortened. That's what happens when u change stoves after cutting your 15 cord grapple load to length and change stoves...

Back