Best way to tell a chainsaws stolen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I ran across a deal on FB for a husqvarna 365, that almost seems too good to be true. After further checking into this guy he mentions on his own page he’s been arrested for something, and all his friends look like a bunch of skeezers. Anytime I buy something off someone I usually start the conversation with how’d you get it, why you selling just to get a good feel, but I don’t want to end up holding a hot potato. Any tips or tricks on verifying these transactions?

You could try a Facebook search to see if anyone has posted about missing or stolen chainsaws in the area. If he has a phone number listed call and ask some questions.

Have the seller send you a photo of the model / serial no. plate. If he does this then check the SN# through local law enforcement and Husky. Actually, Husky might be able to tell you who the original owner was. If the seller won't send you the photo then you have your answer...

Have the seller send you a photo of the model / serial no. plate. If he does this then check the SN# through local law enforcement and Husky. Actually, Husky might be able to tell you who the original owner was. If the seller won't send you the photo then you have your answer...
It’s funny I just messaged the dude and it was already sold after two hours…must have been hot, if he was in that big a hurry to get rid of it!

Well not necessarily. I wouldn’t send a s/n to some random off the internet and my **** isn’t stolen. Crazy fool probably gonna go report my saw as stolen and try to scam it off me for free that way!

I picked up a still 024AV a month ago that may or may not have been hot. Not a steal of a deal, but cheap enough to be interested.

Younger woman (late teens, early 20s), nervously smoking a cigarette. Possible tweeker but not methed out at the time. Sold "for her father" or something. Baby in the backseat of her car.

I look at it like : I didn't steal the saw. I wouldn't knowingly buy something stolen. Other folks' actions are on them. I refuse to accept transfer of their wrongdoings.

If the saw seems like it has any negative or ethereal energy, I'll just go find a young goat or chicken to sacrifice for redemption.

Like others said, follow your instinct.

It’s funny I just messaged the dude and it was already sold after two hours…must have been hot, if he was in that big a hurry to get rid of it!
Just because it sold fast doesn't mean it's stolen. Great deals don't last long here, if you see one you'd better pull the trigger quick or someone else will.

Might check to see ....if it feels hot to the touch.......... :rolleyes:
That would be like the ultimate insult. Touch it, ouch, I can’t run this thing it’s burning my hands. I can’t say that I’m mr white knight, internet hero, but I try not to send money to the dark side.

Well not necessarily. I wouldn’t send a s/n to some random off the internet and my **** isn’t stolen. Crazy fool probably gonna go report my saw as stolen and try to scam it off me for free that way!
Never thought about that… Why have you thought about that? 😂

I usually ask for the S/N just because I’m trying to figure out how old it is.

If serial number is missing or not complete.
I also go by feel both touch and gut feeling.
I can also get a gut felling by the looks and actions of the seller.
I can read a book by it's cover.

I if a make a low ball offer way below their asking price and they start thinking and I smell wood burning due to smoke coming out of their ears is also a clue.

Maybe the saw was legit? Sold in 2 hours is quite common around here.....doesn't mean anything as to the seller.. Big Hurry is your term, not the fact. get rid of it? he sold it, quickly, and got his asking price. Thats a win for him.

I picked up a still 024AV a month ago that may or may not have been hot. Not a steal of a deal, but cheap enough to be interested.

Younger woman (late teens, early 20s), nervously smoking a cigarette. Possible tweeker but not methed out at the time. Sold "for her father" or something. Baby in the backseat of her car.

I look at it like : I didn't steal the saw. I wouldn't knowingly buy something stolen. Other folks' actions are on them. I refuse to accept transfer of their wrongdoings.

If the saw seems like it has any negative or ethereal energy, I'll just go find a young goat or chicken to sacrifice for redemption.

Like others said, follow your instinct.
A plumber I know once bragged to me about the massive bargains he netted on some power and hand tools. He was so proud of himself. He thought exactly along the lines that you are expressing here.
Fast forward about a year, when all the stuff he had bought plus a lot of additional tools that he had bought legitimately were stolen out of his truck. I think that realigned his thought process.

Buying a saw 101 is to make certain its a good running machine. The serial # concern's? If you get any bad vibe from the seller, than get in your truck, and go home. If this involves a $1,000 deal, than the bonafide is on the seller in advance. Thats just good honest business.

If its some crazy deal that a guy just can't pull the trigger on, because hes a nervous person, with little money.......than coming here to gripe about still having the money in his pocket makes little sense beyond exercising fingers behind a keyboard.

I suggest the marketplace within this forum, for better deals, and the best guys to deal with.....................

Attachments

• Zee Big Ass Saw.jpg
    Zee Big Ass Saw.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Hell of a Husqvarna.jpg
    Hell of a Husqvarna.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 50
Back