Best way to tell a chainsaws stolen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of comments about the serial number, a tree fell on my saw once and broke off the corner containing the serial number. That’s the only reason I’ve left the original dogs on, it holds the serial number piece.

View attachment 947731
THATS some funny stuff; I don't care who you are.....

I had a guy with his wife in an ex army Land Rover turn up randomly to my house saying that someone told him that i "cut down trees and stuff" and he had some stuff I might be interested, when I said who's is it he said his and it's all nearly new, when I looked in the back of his truck there was climbing equipment a top handle Stihl and a couple of big Huskys, buried amongst other stuff, so I said to him how long have you used Zig Zag and the answer was "not long" there was no ZigZag so I clocked his plate and told him I don't buy nicked gear and rang the police with his number plate.

A plumber I know once bragged to me about the massive bargains he netted on some power and hand tools. He was so proud of himself. He thought exactly along the lines that you are expressing here.
Fast forward about a year, when all the stuff he had bought plus a lot of additional tools that he had bought legitimately were stolen out of his truck. I think that realigned his thought process.

Possibly being a braggart is what allowed his world to be re-thought.

Pride.

I know some people are taking the approach that we're not responsible for the seller's actions (such as stealing the saw from a previous owner). But what happens if the authorities find out that you now have the hot saw, such as because you took the saw to a dealer for something and they run the serial number and find it flagged in their system as stolen? Or you go to sell it and the next buyer runs the SN and checks with police? Could the police confiscate it from you without compensation? Or worse, there's probably some risk of being blamed for being the thief, especially if you don't have a real record of buying it (doubt you have a record from Craigslist or FB).

Granted, we can't always know for sure if something is hot, but I take the approach of walking away from things that my gut tells me to.

Tyler

Here in the UK, if you've bought stolen gear and it's tracked back to you, you lose it, period. And your money. Even if they don't accuse you of stealing it, because they got the thief and he told the cops who he sold it to. If he says he got no money for it but gave it to you, you could also be charged with 'receiving stolen goods', and be rewarded by a spell at Her Majesty's pleasure. Keep clear of hot stuff!

I bought a saw eBay and found that the s/n plate was removed.
The sale was "No Returns" , but eBay refunded my purchase.
Even they know that someone who goes through the effort to remove a S/N plate in a difficult to access area is up to no good.
I have had a few saws with no plates...
Here's the latest, any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.13.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.13.32 AM.png
    612.4 KB · Views: 13
The biggest red flag for me is they want to meet somewhere. If their selling from their home, serial number present, that's mostly it along with gut instinct. If you call the police to check the S/N there's not much more you can do, but I never have. I have bought and sold dozens of saws and never had a problem. How many of you guys know all the serial numbers on your saws? No, I don't at the moment, but since I plan on keeping most of what I have I think I will get that done soon.

The biggest red flag for me is they want to meet somewhere. If their selling from their home, serial number present, that's mostly it along with gut instinct. If you call the police to check the S/N there's not much more you can do, but I never have. I have bought and sold dozens of saws and never had a problem. How many of you guys know all the serial numbers on your saws? No, I don't at the moment, but since I plan on keeping most of what I have I think I will get that done soon.
I photograph all my serial numbers, saws, HiFi, tv everything for insurance purposes, if I don't, over here you have to prove you owned it in the first place for them to pay out so they are kept on a separate hard drive just in case.

I photograph all my serial numbers, saws, HiFi, tv everything for insurance purposes, if I don't, over here you have to prove you owned it in the first place for them to pay out so they are kept on a separate hard drive just in case.
I do about the same recording model, sn #'s
AND some of my saws, especially some of the little Homies have GLUED on model and ser tags and they come off with age and go SOUTH. I just go ahead and peel the little wimpy tag off, use a electric engraver and put the tag info on the saw and put the OEM tag in my saw files. I also do this so as I can find the correct IPL for the saw.
Some of the Poulans, Craftsman and later model other brand saws have a paper tag on the bottom of the saw or in a place that it will get easily mutilated or ruined.
What a bright idea for future reference. Heck Ronnie Milsap can see this is not a good thing.
When I see late model saws with this paper tag I immediately know that this is a heads up of a saw that is not built by the factory to be repaired, it's a consumable type saw itself. (and the owners manual usually says FOR OCCASIONAL USE ONLY.
I record ser numbers mostly for my own use for insurance purposes in case of fire so as little more proof I had such, or so as I could check some pawn shops if bunch got stolen. I've noticed that law enforcement in my neck of the woods don't even GO LOOKING (actually checking Pawn shops) for stolen items such as chainsaws, electric or air tools and the like. The people have to go looking for their stolen stuff themselves, then if found call law enforcement for little bit assistance. Usually only by slight chance accident that stolen items are ever re-covered in my neck of the woods by law enforcement. (but still good to have ID numbers filed and reported)
AND thieves are getting thicker ever day.

Record them sooner than later. I had 4 saws stolen last fall. 2 I had the serial numbers and 2 I didn't. Guess which 2 I got back. Thief is in jail along with his girlfriend whose car they used to jack my saws. I also engrave numbers known only to me at an inconspicuous place on the saw.

I never meet at home for sales. No red flag issue about it, just no interest in having strangers come by. Nothing good comes of that. I’m not looking to make friends, just to make a sale. Plus folks talk - I got that saw from a guy who lives over there, he has lots of saws…and next thing you know his methhead cousin is pulling a B&E.

Edit - except sales to AS folks. They have come by.

well you got to be a little smarter than that but basically you don’t invite them in the shop to see everything you got dummy. I won’t deal with a dimwit like you in a parking lot good way to get robbed, car jacked or shot. At least at home I have a 110 lb Doberman to back me up and a 45 in my belt. Keeps things mighty civil. I’m just saying I won’t go buy a saw from some turd in a parking lot.

Its a conspiracy theory....all used saws are stolen, and the sellers all meet at the Capitol Bldg.

I never meet at home for sales. No red flag issue about it, just no interest in having strangers come by. Nothing good comes of that. I’m not looking to make friends, just to make a sale. Plus folks talk - I got that saw from a guy who lives over there, he has lots of saws…and next thing you know his methhead cousin is pulling a B&E.

What do you sell, and at what frequency? Sounds like daily? If its twice a year, your concerns are a mute point.

A guy came into the saw shop where my son works with an MS661 saying it wouldn’t start. Claimed he bought it off a guy for $50 because it wouldn’t run. The saw clearly had very little time on it. Fresh fuel and proper technique and the saw fired up fine. While examining the saw it was noted the serial number was ground off… that saw could very well have been stolen from them but without the serial number there was no way of verifying that. Over the years people have stolen saws and parts off saws… everything is locked up with cables now. They also have security cameras on the saws… they’ve caught thieves and had them prosecuted. Two guys stole 4 snowblowers last year and they had great images of them and their truck… convicted.

I bought a saw on eBay and found that the s/n plate was removed.
The sale was "No Returns" , but eBay refunded my purchase.
Even they know that someone who goes through the effort to remove a S/N plate in a difficult to access area is up to no good.
The one on my Husky fell off by itself.

I mean, I suppose I scraped it off on something - but I needed the S/N for something recently, and it was gone. Little studs still there, but no plate.

Same here. I sell a lot on CL, never meet at my house. Use a burner number, meet in a public place, and I'm armed.

Latest posts

Back