Better climbing saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brush_Monkey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I've only been climbing and cutting for 6 months, worked as a ground hand for 8 before that, I bought a husqnarna 335xpt, 14'' bar, and it's only 6 months old. But I find it's starting to lack power, I buy a new chain every week (it gets A LOT of use) and file it every day, yet i'm not as impressed as I used to be. My boss is a saw tech aswell and he says there's nothing wrong with it, but he notices the power loss too.. Anyway to get to the point i'm buying a new saw. Any tips or ideas? I'm thinking a stihl but I'm not sure, I love huskies too:)

I did remove it last week acctually, it sounds like a dirt bike:p

And there's nothing wrong with stihl, my 036 arctic is awesome with the 36' on it. but it's not oiling right, it dose break a lot:greenchainsaw:

Depends on what you're doing

If you're a beginning climber and do mostly trims, go with an Echo.

If you're experienced and do alot of removals, and have good arm strength, the best saw currently available is the Stihl ms200T.

Be careful and work safe

jomoco

jomoco said:

If you're experienced and do alot of removals, and have good arm strength, the best saw currently available is the Stihl ms200T.

Be careful and work safe

jomoco

I'm pretty experianced in big removal's, We mainly do poplars and elm (damn elms!!) And my arm strength is great, 8 months on the ground carrying brush and bucked up logs gets your forearms quite big haha. Thanks for the replies guys

jomoco said:
Great idea, this way when you drop it you are not out $500.:D

Seriously though, since you do so many takedowns, have you tried a rear-handle saw? The 346 is pretty sweet in a tree. Nothing wrong with the 200t, but if i'm doing a good sized removal, it stays on the ground. I personally just like the power and feel of a rear-handle saw in a tree. When I sink a 20" bar into an oak with my 357, I know it's going to cut!

my 357 works great in the tree, plenty of power and of you have to push of try to flip something I've found the 335 is a little small.

beowulf343, "the state, not the city" gotta love that I get the same thing

I might buy the 200t tomorrow.. I need to pick up some poison ivy tomorrow,and the stihl shop is only 10 minutes away from Vermeer. I'll check around first though, but thanks for the replies.

TimberMcPherson said:
Now an insane person might suggest that the 346 would do great made as a top handle for big take downs.......surely it wouldnt be much heavier than an ms200.

Guess I am totally nuts then, I like my 192t, light, nimble and enough power for most of what I do. I would LOVE a 200t but don't need/can't justify one now. I would think a 365/361ish top handle/compact saw would be the ticket! Like you said, going to carry the weight, make it worth it!
Andy

i prefer the 192t as well.

open the muffler up a little and adjust the carb and it's a totally different saw.the weight is worth the slight power loss from the 200.

the 192 isn't a bad saw but the weight diference between it and the 200 isn't enough to justify the power loss if you are removing big trees and have decent arm strength I would get a 200 with a 16 inch bar. A side note on your husky have u tried cleaning the air filter with ether spraying from the inside out and also remove your spark arrestor they get clogged up and cause all kinds of problems. Also if you are doing big removals don't get an echo they are dogs when you have to make them cut anything over 2 inches go with the 200 you won't be sorry.

I learned with rear-handled saws and still use them. Favorite is the old 238, but I recently got a 346 and the 238 is the backup saw as it is getting older and a bit tired. With the tri-cut handsaws, I don't even pull a chainsaw up into the tree until I get to the big wood pruning, though walking up a takedown it is with me from the start.

Husq's

Ive used Stihls, Husq's, AB Partner, etc.. It is much like your choice in trucks, be it Chevy or Ford. Husky's good saw -I like the 3120, 395, 372, and I think the 335 & 338 Californias are hard to beat for the buck. Sure, Stihl is a great saw manufacturer...but certainly not the only one. Right now the only Stihls I have left is an 099 and an 056 magnum. I like to buy all the same brand saws so I can deal with the same people if I like them and the service. Just open the exhaust, you'll like the 335 again!

Husqy's

Once you have worked on a Husq, they are simple as well. Experience is the ticket. I would have to disagree that "nothing even comes close" to a 200T. Nonsense. In Missouri we bury our 48-54" bars in oak and hickory, not to mention pulp wood. All top-of-the-line saw manufactures put out good performance. Don't be deceived by the hype-judge only after considerable use of the several fine saw makers.

blackwaterguide said:
Once you have worked on a Husq, they are simple as well. Experience is the ticket. I would have to disagree that "nothing even comes close" to a 200T. Nonsense. In Missouri we bury our 48-54" bars in oak and hickory, not to mention pulp wood. All top-of-the-line saw manufactures put out good performance. Don't be deceived by the hype-judge only after considerable use of the several fine saw makers.

I would sugest you read the whole thread again. Nobody here is badmouthing Husky saws in general, but NOTHING does come close to a 200t in that size saw! I will only buy 50cc Husky saws, Stihl doesn't make anything comparabel in my opinion. I don't have a thing against the larger Huskies, and I doubt many on this thread would argue that, but the premise of this thread is climbing saws.
Andy

Originally Posted by blackwaterguide

Were not talking about a saw with a 48-54" bar we are talking about a top handle trim saw and have ran the huskys they weight more and are slower there is no comparison with the 200t and as far as the big saws go I was die hard husky until I laid my hands on a 066 and there is no comparison there.

Back