Better climbing saws..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the TCI and was talking to the Husky rep, he told me that next month they will be coming out with an updated 338 that matchs the cali's HP but without the cat. 2.7 HP in a saw that weighs 7.7lbs.

pigwot said:
I learned with rear-handled saws and still use them. Favorite is the old 238, but I recently got a 346 and the 238 is the backup saw as it is getting older and a bit tired. With the tri-cut handsaws, I don't even pull a chainsaw up into the tree until I get to the big wood pruning, though walking up a takedown it is with me from the start.
Next time you need a new saw look at the Stihl MS200 rear handle. I have one and it is a nice powerful saw.

oh well...

:cheers: :cheers: I still like Husky climbing saws-335 or 338. I like that 200T as well. One of the best saws I've run is the 066, and I like the 395 just as well. The truly practical differences may evade my perception. After all, I'm just an old man with an opinion. I'll admit I trust my opinions less as time goes on.:)

rahtreelimbs said:
Nothing even comes close to the 200T!!!

The 335/334/338 may be near the 200T on a performance level but that goes out the door with how problematic the 335/334/338 is!!!

I just replaced the crank bearings and seals on an 020T, since I know this saw pretty well now workin' on 'em is pretty easy!!!

All my current 335/338/ 335 Cali's work fine. Less chain speed but more torque than the 200T....and of course the one I got from you is still the best.

Ryan Willock said:
I was at the TCI and was talking to the Husky rep, he told me that next month they will be coming out with an updated 338 that matchs the cali's HP but without the cat. 2.7 HP in a saw that weighs 7.7lbs.

No way does a bone stock Cali have that much hp....in fact I prefer the normal models...of course all mine are modded or muffler modded.

None of mine have a cat muffler. Is that how they come now?

Laugh if you want, but i carry the trusty 55 rancher into the trees that are over 20" diam (that i'm doing a complete removal on). It gives plenty of power and only weighs about 15 lbs.

Clean your air filter, clean the screen in the muffler, use a good spark plug. Also clean out under the recoil side cover often. When it wears out get an ms200t.

rahtreelimbs said:
Nothing even comes close to the 200T!!!

The 335/334/338 may be near the 200T on a performance level but that goes out the door with how problematic the 335/334/338 is!!!

I just replaced the crank bearings and seals on an 020T, since I know this saw pretty well now workin' on 'em is pretty easy!!!

rbtree said:
All my current 335/338/ 335 Cali's work fine. Less chain speed but more torque than the 200T....and of course the one I got from you is still the best.

Roger good that you chimed in!!!

If I remember correctly, you were patient and worked out a lot the bugs on the original 335. Most guys just give up on the saw.

Are they still working out for you?

I just swaped Guy my 191T for a 334xp today so far I like it better but only time will tell. The husky rep told me at the show that next month the 338 would be coming out with more HP so I think I'll wait a little while and see before I buy another climbing saw.

2 questions:

Why is Echo a good saw for pruning? I am not being sarcastic.... just wondering.

What does "opening the muffler" mean? Does it mean drilling holes in it?

emr said:
2 questions:

Why is Echo a good saw for pruning? I am not being sarcastic.... just wondering.

What does "opening the muffler" mean? Does it mean drilling holes in it?

The Echo is very light and starts easily (usually first pull)

as for the 338 it's a good saw.

i'm still not sold on the 200t.too heavy.i prefer the 192.
you may want to check your air filter like a previous poster said.also,check your spark screen and make sure your exhaust port isn't clogged with carbon.you may also be due for a carb rebuild and clutch springs if you use it that often.

Brush_Monkey said:
And there's nothing wrong with stihl, my 036 arctic is awesome with the 36' on it. but it's not oiling right, it dose break a lot:greenchainsaw:

It will never put out sufficient oil for a bar that big. My 440 doesn't put out enough oil for a 36", but I keep a 36 around just in case I need it. I'll dump oil right on the bar and chain if I run it.

Anyways, back on the subject, I took the spark arrestor out of my echo cs3000 climbing saw and retuned it a bit, and it's got alot more grunt now, but still can't compete with my stock 200.
A boss I had a while back had a 338xpt, and it was a great running saw, lots of power, but the plastic had broken near the muffler, and near the spark plug, so I always managed to burn or zap myself on it. I suspect he was a bit rough with it, although he said it wasn't dropped from a tree.

saw choice

200T good but have found the 020T although old and slightly heavier a more robust and reliable saw (a bit like me ? ) yours old timer:ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back