Big burl!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityslicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This past weekend I scored this giant bigleaf maple burl. It is about 6 feet in diameter and is nearly a round ball. I am very excited to see what's inside other than the golfball I can see about six inches deep in a nook.

Can anyone explain why the actuall tree trunk was so small (only about 16" in diameter and maybe thirty growth rings in it)? I guess it is hard for me to understand how the burl can be so big while the tree is so young and small.

Attachments

• 2014-07-19 08.03.21.jpg
    2014-07-19 08.03.21.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 2014-07-19 10.42.02.jpg
    2014-07-19 10.42.02.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2014-07-19 11.00.41.jpg
    2014-07-19 11.00.41.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 187
I love it. That is massive. I am sure that gave you a workout with that Beebe Bro's hand winch. I can't wait to see the pics of that thing when you mill it.

BLM burl is one of my favorite woods to work with! That thing is huge. I'm guessing the tree put all of its effort in to growing the burl instead of the tree. Wish we'd have some trees out here that would do the same.

Slice it up and take some pics! And, send some my way

As I understand it, burls are an uncontrolled growth, similar to cancer. That is one amazing one that you loaded up. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the inside. How do you plan to cut it... or will you sell it as is?

This past weekend I scored this giant bigleaf maple burl. It is about 6 feet in diameter and is nearly a round ball. I am very excited to see what's inside other than the golfball I can see about six inches deep in a nook.

Can anyone explain why the actuall tree trunk was so small (only about 16" in diameter and maybe thirty growth rings in it)? I guess it is hard for me to understand how the burl can be so big while the tree is so young and small.

....must.... resist.... off-color... joke....

I can't even GIVE those away when I come across them. I've got a birch one out on a woodlot about that size.

Latest posts

Back