Big day shopping!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After much consideration I took a trip today to the arborist supply shop 120 miles away and bought all the gear I needed to climb spikeless. I did a lot of fine tuning on my flipline setups and some other stuff too. Here is what I got, layed out like I am setting up a booth at a trade show. lol
DSCN1762.jpg

- I got the bigshot and two poles w/ a fanno blade and scabbord.
Should be a nice compliment to our pruning pole and power pole saw. Also 12and 14 oz throwbags with 180 of Samson Zing It. Don't forget the ditty bag.

- Split tail with splice eye and petzl beaner. I am going to use the blakes hitch and micro pulley setup. I have gained much clarity on this and am now convinced to use it.

- 5' friction saver. Has the micropulley and petzl beaner.

- Tree climbers companion. Thing about this is I know my dad gave me one of these and told me to read it a long time ago, well I must have lost it.

- Petzl Pantin foot ascender

- Multiple slings and steel locking beaners.

- Weaver accessory nylon loop with snap.

- 5/8" block and 3/4"x16' eye sling

- Not pictured, some grippy gloves for climbing. Look more like gardening gloves to me, so we'll see how they hold up.

I hope I am done shopping for a while, time to get to work. Any thoughts on the gear?

Last edited:
Pricey, but a good investment.
I have accumulated mine over a long period of time and make a lot of my own gear now.

Oh yeah, the kevlar gloves with the blue dots are the best I have found so far.

Last edited:
look at you bud. what a score.

save a couple of them slings as redirects for your climbing line only, the rest for rign or whatever you use them for. that way you dont have to worry about them and their condition.

if you are going to be doing any reading, i must recommend the bible of tree work, The Fundamentals of General Treework by mr GF Beranek.

let me know how you like the pantin.

and did you get your self a prussic cord or an ascender for the double rope footlocking?

lol

never enough money, too many toys/tools.

good luck with the new gear.

Nice score nails! Nothing feels better than getting some shiny new gear to play with :clap: Looks like a good haul to me!

Friction Saver

- 5' friction saver. Has the micropulley and petzl beaner.
?

Can you install this from the ground? Can you retrieve this once back on the ground?

I use 4' strap with rings, one larger than other but can't pass through one another. Have eye spliced in end of climbing line and small alum. threaded link lives on that splice. It goes through large but not small ring. Line runs very smooth through rings, not quite as smooth as pulley, but I love it! Always looking for better ways though...

look at you bud. what a score.

save a couple of them slings as redirects for your climbing line only, the rest for rign or whatever you use them for. that way you dont have to worry about them and their condition.

if you are going to be doing any reading, i must recommend the bible of tree work, The Fundamentals of General Treework by mr GF Beranek.

let me know how you like the pantin.

and did you get your self a prussic cord or an ascender for the double rope footlocking?

lol

never enough money, too many toys/tools.

good luck with the new gear.

Yeah about the prussic, I am climbing on a VT. :jawdrop: Just kidding. I didn't get one, but I will, or I will make one.

I tried the Pantin in the store and liked it. Figured I could use it with loggers boots on or any footwear, golf shoes, basketball shoes, soccor shoes, jockey shoes, bowling shoes, cowboy boots, etc....,lol...... plus there is no slip like you sometimes get with the footlock. Still love that footlock though.

I want to get that book too. I read High Climbers and Timber Fallers by him, and loved it.

Out.

Can you install this from the ground? Can you retrieve this once back on the ground?

I use 4' strap with rings, one larger than other but can't pass through one another. Have eye spliced in end of climbing line and small alum. threaded link lives on that splice. It goes through large but not small ring. Line runs very smooth through rings, not quite as smooth as pulley, but I love it! Always looking for better ways though...

Yes, it installs the same as your friction saver and can be retrieved the same. I just bought it because it was a little cheaper and came with a pulley and beaner. Plus, the store owner recommended it and so did another customer that was there. I haven't uses anything yet so I really couldn't get into pro's and con's, but the two experienced guys that have used them both, said to get this. And so did my wallet.:)

Pricey, but a good investment.
I have accumulated mine over a long period of time and make a lot of my own gear now.

Oh yeah, the kevlar gloves with the blue dots are the best I have found so far.

Speaking of gloves, I was just going to wear tight, thin, leather ones, like I always do, but the store owner pushed these. So I bought 2 pair and said I would give them the benefit of the doubt and let them prove me wrong. I will look into those Kevlars I am open to all options. Thanks.

:ices_rofl: I think we're heading towards an arboristsite.com first annual :givebeer:fest the way things are going.... I'll bring the keg.

There's nothing like new gear ! :clap:

Looks like you made out all right, Now that you know where the nearest gear shop is you'll never have any spare cash.... LOL

Nice looking gear if I may recommend something if you were planning on putting the throw line in the ditty bag. Don't bad idea I did it once and only once. I now use old gallon cleaning pails or ice cream pails and just flake it in. Works great you can stack up three or four throw lines easily and when you shoot out of them with the big shot they fly out effortlessly. Just how I do it. Other than that nice set up. could you post a close up of you friction saver I am quite interested.
Jared

There's nothing like new gear ! :clap:

Looks like you made out all right, Now that you know where the nearest gear shop is you'll never have any spare cash.... LOL

i can finally whole heartedly agree with you my friend. lol

high climbers is one of the many reasons for my move bud. great book indeed.

once you get that pantin going let me know. i am not sold on it.

nothing to do with climbing bud but what was the name of the band?

Nice looking gear if I may recommend something if you were planning on putting the throw line in the ditty bag. Don't bad idea I did it once and only once. I now use old gallon cleaning pails or ice cream pails and just flake it in. Works great you can stack up three or four throw lines easily and when you shoot out of them with the big shot they fly out effortlessly. Just how I do it. Other than that nice set up. could you post a close up of you friction saver I am quite interested.
Jared

he's right about the ditty/throw bag. use that for storage. holds a pack of butts with a lighter and a 20oz water bottle no probs.

i use my protein powder buckets for the throwline too. only problem with this is if the bucket gets moved a bunch your first throw will be a nightmare when you go to use it. other than that perfect.

Thanks guys, I flaked it into a 5 gal bucket already, I guess I could downsize to the ice cream pail. I was gonna take er out in a little bit for the first shot. I will just have to put the Pabst in the ditty bag.

Here's the shot of the friction saver. It was 5 bucks cheaper than the ring one. $50 for a 5 footer I believe.
DSCN1763.jpg

Oldirty, I'll pm you about the band.

Lumberjack, If I am in the tree I should probably be packin HighLife. :jester:

he's right about the ditty/throw bag. use that for storage. holds a pack of butts with a lighter and a 20oz water bottle no probs.

i use my protein powder buckets for the throwline too. only problem with this is if the bucket gets moved a bunch your first throw will be a nightmare when you go to use it. other than that perfect.

+1 on the ditty bag! It's not good at all for throw lines!

Oldirty - we use an ice cream bucket but we cut the lid so it can sit on top of the flaked line in the bucket and there is a slit in the edge to hold the end of the line. putting the plastic disc on top keeps the line laying flat and orderly when the bucket is moved and the end of the line is always handy in the slit in the disc. Just DON'T LOSE THE DISC... LOL. We have 4 lines packed this way. We lucked out on throw line. We use "mini-blind cord" for throw line. A company near us was getting rid of several 10,000 ft spools. The stuff is braided (so VERY strong) and is amazingly pliable and smooth. We have 4 colors that we use in different lengths. For example: brown line is 100 ft, green line is 150 ft, silver line is 225 ft, and tan line is 300 ft. Each of these is in its own bucket as described above. The buckets stack neatly.

Back