Big day shopping!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the ditty bag! It's not good at all for throw lines!

Oldirty - we use an ice cream bucket but we cut the lid so it can sit on top of the flaked line in the bucket and there is a slit in the edge to hold the end of the line. putting the plastic disc on top keeps the line laying flat and orderly when the bucket is moved and the end of the line is always handy in the slit in the disc. Just DON'T LOSE THE DISC... LOL. We have 4 lines packed this way. We lucked out on throw line. We use "mini-blind cord" for throw line. A company near us was getting rid of several 10,000 ft spools. The stuff is braided (so VERY strong) and is amazingly pliable and smooth. We have 4 colors that we use in different lengths. For example: brown line is 100 ft, green line is 150 ft, silver line is 225 ft, and tan line is 300 ft. Each of these is in its own bucket as described above. The buckets stack neatly.

That is a good idea. I think I have just the place to use your bucket lid trick.

I bought some of the folding one Baileys was selling around christmas time for cheap. They work OK but I think I still like the bucket better. The bucket got tangled up less. Nails How does that friction saver work. Does the pulley pull through the biner or does it work like the regular ring ones that the rest of us use.
Jared

I too am interested in that foot ascender. I've n'er seen one used, I don't really care for all the ropes needed to attach oneself to basic ascenders, and foot-locking gets too tiresome. Let me know how you make out!

he's right about the ditty/throw bag. use that for storage. holds a pack of butts with a lighter and a 20oz water bottle no probs.

i use my protein powder buckets for the throwline too. only problem with this is if the bucket gets moved a bunch your first throw will be a nightmare when you go to use it. other than that perfect.

Mine is an old pool chemical bucket with a handle. One of the many annoying ground dog moves is filling it with scrench, stump vise,files, gatorade bottles etc. Oh, I forgot the Cheeto bags lol.

Last edited:
Mine is an old pool chemical bucket with a handle. One of the many annoying ground dog moves is filling it with scrench, stump vise,files, gatorade bottles etc. Oh, I forgot the Cheeto bags lol.

its amazing just how many short cuts people try to take. lol.
you should store some sh1t in their cooler and tell em why you did it. maybe then your throw bucket will get some love.

Cool! :givebeer:
I love getting new gear....

as do i

17.00 bucks verse 78.00 for the Falteimer folding cube. :cheers:

not only hard but tight i see as well, your ass that is! LOL

i agree though, i'd be hardpressed to part ways with 80 slices just for tro line storage.

hey 2fatties. your method is solid. if i end up with multi tro lines your way is the way to do it. good stuff.

hey 2fatties. your method is solid. if i end up with multi tro lines your way is the way to do it. good stuff.

2Fatties ---- ice cream buckets ---- YOU do the math... LOL.

The other key to our "system" is the "mini-blind" cord. For the cost of 200 feet of "name brand" line, we can get upwards of 5,000 feet of this line. At this rate, who cares if we have a tangle on the ground occasionally? No lost time to untangling the rat's nest!!

Nails thats not a ditty bag you got there, looks like a draw string top throwline bag. Get Sherrills elastic slit top ditty with 3 snaps to connect to the back of your saddle. Those biners on your loop runners are a little overkill for redirecting your climbing line [weight ,ease of use]. Try the alum. Helium #28742 $12 ea.
Don't bother with the prussic on double rope , get used to the Blakes split tail for now. But I quess you already decided that from reading your post again.

Willard.

Last edited:
Nails thats not a ditty bag you got there, looks like a draw string top throwline bag. Get Sherrills elastic slit top ditty with 3 snaps to connect to the back of your saddle. Those biners on your loop runners are a little overkill for redirecting your climbing line [weight ,ease of use]. Try the alum. Helium#28742 $12 ea.
Don't bother with the prussic on double rope , get used to the Blakes split tail for now.

Willard.

Holmen, steel is real, when I put them sumsa#####in beaners somewhere they are gonna stay there. I will load the piss out of them and they will still be there. I will run them over with my skidsteer and they'll still be what? there.

When I die where are those beaners gonna be? Correct, in my coffin.

That's exactly what that bag is too.

Easy easy there buddy I wasn't trying to steer you wrong but the alum. biner I talked about is good for 4,945 lbs. Pear shaped is recommended because re-directing doubledline can jam up with a D shaped biner. The perfect redirect beaner is the Petzl William ball lock. But then what it says in Sherrills 2007 catalog top of page 43 ,[ nonlocking used for line redirection ] I use Petzl green ball lock biners on my saddle but don't like to carry them in my ditty bag because I might unknowingly use them in rigging down heavy wood and mix them up with my life support biners. I carry 1 steel double lock biner in my ditty for rigging.Loop runners are non adjustable so you can't do alot of rigging with them, maybe as a choker for a speedline,light limb removal or as a climbing line redirect.

I know they aren't for rigging but aren't those Petzl green ball locks you have there aluminum?

Willard.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just wanted to rant about those beaners. I just got them for rigging, cause he had a good price.

Those petzls are aluminum, they are going to be my go to beaners. I like the ball lock action. Thanks for the tips.:cheers:

You made excellent choices Nails , you just need some more smaller ,eye, whoopie ,loopie and spider leg slings. Like I say there is always something else to buy. lol

i never had a prob with the ditty bag. flake it in carefully. also, go low and slow with that friction saver pulley. it wont have ANY friction on it so it takes some getting used to. (i never did) have fun with your stuff. near gear is fun!:clap:

Yeah, I just wanted to rant about those beaners. I just got them for rigging, cause he had a good price.

Those petzls are aluminum, they are going to be my go to beaners. I like the ball lock action. Thanks for the tips.:cheers:

no ball locking biners for me thanks. cant trust them.

no ball locking biners for me thanks. cant trust them.

I agree the Petzl ball locks tend to get dirt in the locking mechanism making them hard to lock if not regularly cleaned. But I always believed they are the least likely to be accidently opened. I always run the HDP Roller with my ball locks [designed for it] on my saddle, smooth as silk.

Did you know the finger print imprint [older biners anyway] around the ball is a copy of the original inventors actual finger print ?

Willard.

Last edited:
Did you know the finger print imprint [older biners anyway] around the ball is the original inventors actual finger print ?

Willard.

That's good to know Willard, I should be able to get into his bank account by Monday, thanks.:)

Hey Oldirty, would you mind explaining what the problem with the ball locks is? Is dirt and other crap gumming up the action the only problem?

Back