Big oak (Heritage tree)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

How to tackle this 8' Oak has been high on my priority list. The drain field is between the tree and the driveway, and the driveway is a 12% grade. Ideally chunking the tree up and hauling it out would be the best option. However, it looks like it may have to milled in place as getting a large crane in to the site is out of the question.

Holy cow ! ! !QUOTE]

That is kinda what I said when I first saw it. From the root ball you can see that it has some hart damage that seem to go up the side of the tree that had some large limbs removed about 15 years ago. There are two limbs that are in the 4’ range that will need to be quartered, one 8’ and one 12’. As far as the trunk goes, I am debating quartering the quarters. If I could get it out by just splitting it in half, I would haul it down south to a mill that has a 6’ slabber. However that is starting to look like it may not be an option because of where it is at. You can also see where it had three strands of barb wire, and who knows how much other metal.

How do you quarter a tree that big ?

Seems like you would need one of Aggiewoodbutcher's ultra-long bars ?

Just rolling it over is going to be a chore.

Please take lots of pictures.

WOW :dizzy:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with that monster

Be sure to post pics.

Backwoods - Do you have the bar and saw to do it.......
Do you have anyone done your way with a
Lucas - slabber ? Hope someone on this site ,who lives close to you , can come to your assistance,,,,,,,,,,,,,
you will have a hell of a lot of fun an hard yacka working that one........please keep us updated .....will be a hoot.:)

Not much holding the old tree up, but it has been on the east side of a hill where it was protected from the wind. The last thunderstorm came in from the east with a strong wind that took this tree and a few others out. I have three other good sized trees to mill up that are in a straight line with each other over a 3-mile stretch.
The only Lucas mill in the area does not have a slabber attachment for it. I have a 5’ bar that will take care of most of the tree. I also have a faller that has a whole assortment of saws and bars, one of which is a 8’ double ended, and if all else fails, I got a few misery whips. The location does not lend it’s self to the use of black powder as there is a housing development at the bottom of the hill.

I saw in G.F. Berneks book he had pictures were he had cut into the end of the log top to bottom like you had hit it with worlds largest ax. Then he cut out a hole to lay a hydraulic bottle jack horizontally. Put a steel plate in front of the ram end, and start jacking. It may take a couple of extra blocks but you should be able to get it split.

The tree all trimmed up. The two limbs were 48" each.
attachment.php

The rail mounted ready to split.
attachment.php

The end dog on the rail.
attachment.php

The but end of the log. The five foot bar handled removing the stum nicely.
attachment.php

The center of the log has a considerable amount of decay. The butt cut measured 9’ at the widest point and averaged 8’. The narrowest point is 6’.

Thanks for the pics. Keep 'em coming.

I've never seen a rail like that. I'm curious to see more.

BTW, it's none of my beeswax, but what is your business arrangement on this blowdown ? Do you have to pay for the wood, or does the homeowner pay you to remove the blowdown ? Do you have an arrangement with an arborist to buy/take his logs ?

I'm guessing most homeowners would be glad to have someone claim the wood so the homeowner doesn't have to hire an arborist to take care of it.

Backwoods -you got her trimmed nicely...what bars /saws / machinery did you have to clear her out ?
Have'nt seen or utilized dogs on the bar before.Usually am bolting it down with blocks......dogs / blocks pros and cons to both....but you have me thinking bout dogs
being easier mounting.
.... here a smaller section /top end 46-58cm
( Silky Oak ) using the vertical bar mill.....
Sold most of the but end, slabbed, for 090

attachment.php

Back to you mate and thanks for the on-going pics and update.

Last edited:
i use a rail similar,it's a 4" aluminum i beam, i have a red oak give to me thats at least that big ,is still standing alive. i like the blackpowder idea.

When it was opened up, the whole center was all soft rotten wood, the firewood cutters hauled all the soft wood and the tops off and that just left the rein to be milled up, no real quality wood came out of the tree. I avoided all the metal by pitching it into the firewood pile. however the firewood cutter was not as careful and hit metal 4 times.

Back