Big oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys found a big oak tree down not far from home,looks maybe 5-6 feet DBH!Trying to contact the land owner about cutting for wood,somebody started last year,cut very little and quit.What I'm wondering,how long of a bar could my 056 super pull with a 7 pin sprocket and a skip tooth chain?It pulls a full comp on a 32" with 8 pin no problem.:jawdrop: Really an old powerhouse.Thanks Russ

36" shouldn't be a problem, and even 41"/42" should be reasonable.

What are you planning on doing with this tree? Big chunks of wood take big effort, both in handling and cutting. Unless you've got equipment to carry it around, it is hard to handle and to process. Look up the End of the Big Oak thread that Ed*L posted.

Well the 056 should do it (especially if it is a magII). As far as a bar goes a 36" should do it, though a 38"plus with full chisel skip chain would make me a little more comfortable. Anything more than that 32incher and I would use skip. Also, definately use the 7pin for the sake of your saw. The 056 is strong but if you have the 7pin already then there is no reason to put the extra stress on the saw, plus you will probably like the feeling of more torque on a tree this big.

Please tell us how this goes. The 056 was a saw I dreamed about growing up. My Grandad had one of these.

South eastern,a little town called Guilford.About 10 miles from Argosy gambling boat.Most have heard of it.Close to Perfect north ski slopes.Where are you?Going to the get together?I'm planning on it ,unless something happens.
Russ

I'm down around Scottsburg (south central) not to far from you. Yeah I'm planning on making the get together, but then again I was planning on making it last year right up until the day before when my boss said I had to work instead. So this year I'm keeping a low profile and not making any promises, kinda felt bad last year having to pull out at the last second. I'll have to find that thread and bump it for him, looked like everybody had fun last year. If all goes well I'll see you there.

I recently cut down a fair sized oak that had been planted next to a drain pit and gave it away as firewood
the wood was very difficult to cut, harder than usual, I can understand why they built ships of oak

imo, sometimes the real big stuff just isnt worth the extra trouble for firewood.
but then I get more than enough big junk to haul out, so maybe it's just me getting tired of it?
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back