big saw in the tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer to have with you in the tree for blocking out wood?

• a small saw

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • a higher powered saw (larger)

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
i have a ripping chain, it doesnt seem to make a huge ammount of difference to the speed you can cut at.....why do you use ripping chain up a tree?

I normally make do with a top handle saw with a 14" bar,If any thing bigger get whatever big saw is available(that the boss has on site)
The biggest i have used up a tree is a stihl 084 with a 48" bar & this was supported by another line as we have a load limit on the saws we are aloud to attach to our harnesses.

Originally posted by stephenbullman
i have a ripping chain, it doesnt seem to make a huge ammount of difference to the speed you can cut at.....why do you use ripping chain up a tree?

i think ripping chains cut nicer ,not necesery faster :confused: i only ever buy ripping chains for big saws...i have often heard the term ripping chain when people are talking about full chisel..but after doing a google search it seems ripping chain is used for mobile chainsaw derived saw mills:confused:

thats right rolla, they're for cutting against the grain.
i have one i use occasionally,their only benefit is they cut in a straight line against the grain.
they're not meant to be used for cross cutting at all

Originally posted by glens
How about something a bit under the 357XP in weight, but bigger in size; an 036? (yeah, nearly a full pound lighter - don't go by the specs, go by the scale - that's the way Husky does it for some reason)  Made fairly quick work of a disassembly job aloft, all things considered, for me on Friday...

Glen

The extra pound is worth it...the 357 smokes an 036 in all conditions!!!;)

Last edited:
The 200 handles most every thing up to 14", after that its time to send up the 460. Its a little big for my skinny little arms but it makes quicker work that the 200.

Kenn:D

If it's to big for a 200t I usually use a 440 with a 24" bar. If that isn't enough I'll either put a 36" bar on the 440 or use the 066 with a 36" bar. My 440 is modded and pulls a 36" bar well with skip chain.

I have only climbed with an 066 on a handfull of occasions. Not fun. Butcha gotta do whatcha gotta do. I have used a Husky 3120 in the bucket before on big cottonwood removals.

Kenn:D

the bigger the better........after the ms200 the smallest saw i use these days is a 288 with a 24in bar. then it's either an 066 with a 32in or a modified 395 pulling a 36in bar.

the bigger saws just get the job done quicker, i say use the biggest saw your comfortable with.

Start w/ MS200T w/ 16" bar. Move on to 026 w/ 20" bar. If I have too I'll bring up my 44 w/ 24" bar and occationally my 066 w/ 36" bar. I like a light saw because my feets go to aching and my hip a hurtin' w/ all that weight pulling down on me.

-Mike-

I finally got this guy to put a 25" bar on his 46. He has two "big" saws, the other being a 66. BOTH with 36" bars! Sheesh!:rolleyes:

http://www.***************/treepics/4.JPG

Back