Biggest Round on Splitter (Pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agrarian

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This past weekend I put the biggest chunk from the biggest tree I have on my property on the splitter. I took some pictures and thought that it would be fun to see what others had split. So here's mine, where's yours???

That is a good sized one for sure. I can't pick 'em up that big so I noodle 'em if it weighs more than I care to try and lift.

Nosmo

no, no pics, but the largest piece ive had on my homemade,was a piece of 50 dia cottonwood. fresh cut. and it stopped it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only thing thats ever stopped it!!!!! i just cut down from the top--then it split--had the same thing happen to some large crotches i was trying to break the wrong way....seems 37 tons will stop at certain things--------------

this here is close to the biggest but not quite, i've had some bigger somewhere around 850lbs. my friend helpin my in the pic is 6'2 so that gives ya some idea how big that is....
:givebeer:

attachment.php

I can't pick 'em up that big so I noodle 'em if it weighs more than I care to try and lift.

I didn't pick this one up either though I wish I could. I simply lower the 3PT so the splitter rests on the ground and then try to roll/coax it over the log cradle onto the beam. Then raise the 3PT and have at it though it still is a hellova chore. Speaks to the ruggedness of the Timberwolf components when a chunk like this can be rolled over them without bending.

This is a blow-down from the high winds last year. I figure this piece of red oak is 24" on the narrow dimension and 26 - 27" on the widest, cut at 18". I've got four or five pieces left to split so I'll have to get the tape measure.

This is one of the biggest, although I can't say it IS the biggest (man I love a healthy log lifter):

The splitters wheel base is 5.5 ft for reference and that round is 18+ inches thick.
attachment.php

Last edited:
this here is close to the biggest but not quite, i've had some bigger somewhere around 850lbs. my friend helpin my in the pic is 6'2 so that gives ya some idea how big that is....
QUOTE]

WOW! Now that is a chunk of wood! I really like that contraption you have for loading the chunks. Is that your custom design? I'd be interested in seeing more pictures of how that works.

I will take somemore pics soon, maybe i'll post em on this thread or if i feel like it might hijack this thread i'll start a new one, but yes everything was designed and tested by me and stuff i saw of utube. and also using friends splitters i knew what i wanted and what would work for me. so away i went.

Those are some serious chunks of wood. Never see anything like that around here. Years a go my dad cut them biggins all down when he was a kid. Got'a give all of you a lot of credit. Yall came up with some good ideas on how to handle them

This is the biggest one I have a pic of. About a 30" red oak. Kinda makes my splitter look a bit small. Note the loader tractor in the background, the preferred method of loading anything that heavy.

There's one 40" plus out back that's showing signs I'll be splitting it in the next few years, and a 50" cottonwood as well. I don't think I'll be giving up the big splitter for a SuperSplit any time soon, but I bet they'd make a great pair!

attachment.php

I've done a lot of four footers. They're good for the ego but take more time to process than they're worth.

That must have been fun wrestling into position! At what point do you switch to horizontal or do you do it all vertical?

If I could lift it I used the splitter horizontally. That splitter is a pain for me to use either horizontally or vertically. The working height is very low in horizontal mode and my back can't take it for very long, but vertical is even worse. I now have a horizontal only, with a log lift and a working height that is much more comfortable for me. I used a cant hook with a 30" handle to maneuver it around. The tree that it came from was on a very steep bank in my back yard. I came home from work one day and found it had fallen over. One piece got away from me, rolled about 50 feet, hit a chain link fence and knocked down about 30 feet of it. If the fence hadn't been there I think it might have ended up in my living room. I weighed the biggest piece at 605 lb, but I am not sure if the one in the picture was the one that weighed 605 lb.

I don't have a picture but I did a few last year that were right at the 1,000 lbs mark (red oak). Used my ASV RC30 skid steer to get them up on the table.

Back