Biggest Round on Splitter (Pictures)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40" piece of oak at the widest points....also had numerous 36-40" solid red oak pieces as well earlier this summer

CIMG4946.jpg

Not the biggest I've split, but it's the largest I have right now. 34" red oak. The little 22 ton Huskee did good. By the way, this is next years wood so dont give me crap.

SANY0521.jpg

SANY0520.jpg

Last edited:
Not on solitter, but...

Here's the biggest one I ever put on the Ranger pickup truck:

GingkoLog1.jpg

This was a round from the first branch of a 100 year-old Gingko tree. The trunk of the tree is close to 8' across. I used a winch and ramp to haul it up there and hauled it away. I noodle cut in in half before I split it. Each half yielded about 25 logs apiece.

Here's the biggest one I ever put on the Ranger pickup truck:

GingkoLog1.jpg

This was a round from the first branch of a 100 year-old Gingko tree. The trunk of the tree is close to 8' across. I used a winch and ramp to haul it up there and hauled it away. I noodle cut in in half before I split it. Each half yielded about 25 logs apiece.

you tailgate is bent to have a smile on it, mine is bent also from loading rounds on it. Does not shut or open near as good since I started burning wood. In fact, it take a big channel lock to open mine now.

What a log ! How did you get it into the bed of the truck ?

Nosmo

I have seen pictures of his ramp setup with the winch, maybe he will be kind enough to report them. He also has a nifty little log lifter made out of "hatchback" shocks but I doubt it would have lifted that monster.

This thread is right up my alley. I only burn free wood. For some reason it allways ends up being the big gorilla stuff!

16879_1325243658786_1461731298_868607_4671367_n.jpg

Here is my setup for picking up the bigger ones. Some of the ones like this I load up and cut 'em up when I get them home. And some times I may see one and not have a chainsaw with me.

I'm like you fellows - I'd rather find and cut my own wood.

Nosmo
attachment.php

I have seen pictures of his ramp setup with the winch, maybe he will be kind enough to report them. He also has a nifty little log lifter made out of "hatchback" shocks but I doubt it would have lifted that monster.
That's correct. The loglifter is limited to about 200 lb, This baby weighed in at about 350 lb. I used a winch I fastened to the racks and hauled it up a ramp that I made. Even that was tough. I decided never to haul one in that big again and I noodle cut them in half. Regardless, here's the winch setup that got her on board:
Winch_Ramp.jpg

I fixed the tailgate before it got any worse. I used about a 3' piece of angle iron and bolted it the the edge of the tailgate panel:

TailGateAfter2.jpg

I also added a shorter, hardwood shim underneath the angle iron. This has worked wonders.

Splitter on biggest round

I do not have a splitter so I put my mauls and wedges on some of the rounds i am working up today. They were left from the loggers who are working on our farm.

first post here, and I just want to say I like those pics:clap: Now Im going to have to go take a pic of a few of the pieces we got left to split up.

Does this count? Emerald Ash borer claimed this one. The round with the fiskars on it was roughly breast height. I don't know the age. Would have took way too long to count the growth rings. I didn't put it on the splitter but rather put the splitter on it.....

2179091410045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

2416442380045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

2527697740045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

Does this count? Emerald Ash borer claimed this one. The round with the fiskars on it was roughly breast height. I don't know the age. Would have took way too long to count the growth rings. I didn't put it on the splitter but rather put the splitter on it.....

2179091410045357542S600x600Q85.jpg

So...did the Fiskars SS handle this round? Or are you still working on it?

So...did the Fiskars SS handle this round? Or are you still working on it?

The fiskars treated it just like any other round. It had no problems blasting its way through these monsters. I had them all done in about 2 weeks, working on them in the evenings and weekends. I still have some of the tree left to split but haven't been real excited about splitting in the 90 degree weather we been having...

one of many big-uns!

Laurel oak, parts of trunk were close to 7'. Me in blue shirt 6'1" 190 for scale.

Latest posts

Back