Biggest Stump I Have Seen, In Person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only one I know capable of doing it that fast has to be trucked in on a lowboy. It is essentially a skidder, with a huge stumper attachment but I am certain it would be more than the ho could afford.

Are you thinking of a Hydra Axe 721? The tree clearing outfits around here (and there is a good size handful of them) use those beasts. In Stillwater, MN a few years ago one outfit cleared a swath of land with 4-6' diameter oaks, old growth monsters. I watched a Hydra Axe eat a ~5' stump in about 10-15 minutes. Garbage flying in every direction when that thing started eating that stump. They left many of the stumps 2-3' above the ground but it did not matter to that thing. Hydra Axes are really popular around here and due to the economy there are a lot of used ones available now.

Here is what they look like with the brush attachment. If it can push the tree over the brush grinder can eat it. I have watched them walk through 4-6" trees like they were mowing a lawn.

81332976.jpg

Here is the 34" stump grinder for that beast. Now that is a machine <insert Tim Allen grunts here>

81333006.jpg

Are you thinking of a Hydra Axe 721? The tree clearing outfits around here (and there is a good size handful of them) use those beasts. In Stillwater, MN a few years ago one outfit cleared a swath of land with 4-6' diameter oaks, old growth monsters. I watched a Hydra Axe eat a ~5' stump in about 10-15 minutes. Garbage flying in every direction when that thing started eating that stump. They left many of the stumps 2-3' above the ground but it did not matter to that thing. Hydra Axes are really popular around here and due to the economy there are a lot of used ones available now.

Here is what they look like with the brush attachment. If it can push the tree over the brush grinder can eat it. I have watched them walk through 4-6" trees like they were mowing a lawn.

81332976.jpg

Here is the 34" stump grinder for that beast. Now that is a machine <insert Tim Allen grunts here>

81333006.jpg

Well sorta we used those at asplundh but the one I was speaking of actually has a stump blade just a big one.

Not the biggest I have done but pretty big....

The tree was 85tons.

The stump was 12' across from flare to flare....the grinder is just under 12'.

i could do that stump for about 350.00 But i would only do it for that if i didnt have other work. When you do the stump just cut the fence away from the stump pull it clear . then grind dont worry about cutting it down as soon as you grind it on a couple of sides the cut it with the saw if you need to.

Manytimes these old stumps look alot harder than they really are. I have found myself dreding them and then once i get into them they cut like cake.

That is pretty cheap though. i think 475.00 is probably a good price for it. Its not that big and its really not hard at all.

I rode by there the other day, on the way to another job. The lady found somebody to do it. I did not see who though. There was a massive pile of chips and the first time I rode by I saw many blocks of wood laying around in the chips. They were gone when I went back through later in the day.

Chris

Figure in a few new teeth for the cutter and maybe a chain for the 88 and about two hrs. for removal and installation of soil seed and fert . So with that being said I wouldn't flinch at 1200 for that stump , you'll earn your money..

I removed and ground a silver maple with a stump that was 9 feet long and 5 feet wide at its widest point.

Ground out a pecan that was just over 6 ft across.

Both were big boys!!!

BS

There is no way you are grinding a 7' stump that is 7' tall in 1 hour.

That stump isn't that bad, just bad for the homeowners pocket book!!! First cut it as low to the ground as possible, then push or roll the block out of the way, then it can be ground. After its cut off, it should only take about an hour, and about $800.00 to $1,000.00 is what I'd charge.

That stump isn't that bad, just bad for the homeowners pocket book!!! First cut it as low to the ground as possible, then push or roll the block out of the way, then it can be ground. After its cut off, it should only take about an hour, and about $800.00 to $1,000.00 is what I'd charge.

you know this thread is about 3 yrs old right? and you'd never get the work at that price around here. 3 hrs of work tops - maybe 6hundy and that's pushing it judging by the look of the house..

you know this thread is about 3 yrs old right? and you'd never get the work at that price around here. 3 hrs of work tops - maybe 6hundy and that's pushing it judging by the look of the house..

Yeah, I know its old, but I'd get around a grand to do one that size, and it would take about 20-30 minutes to cut down stump, and then take my grinder and push and roll it out of the way, then a hour for the stump!!! Here are a few stumps that I made over a $1,000 on each!!!

Yeah, I know its old, but I'd get around a grand to do one that size, and it would take about 20-30 minutes to cut down stump, and then take my grinder and push and roll it out of the way, then a hour for the stump!!! Here are a few stumps that I made over a $1,000 on each!!!

Not sure why you are bragging. Those are little stumps and that is a little grinder.
Jeff

Thats good coin for stumps bro. That would never fly around here tho. Did a red oak stump a couple weeks back that was 8 ft - no s##t. only got 4bills on that but it only took an hour and a half. A lot of guys low ball stumps and it's hard to compete, especially if your grinder cost more then all their equipment combined.

Like that TX, we rent one now and then if I can't get the tow behind on it or its too much for the little 25 horse.

Thats good coin for stumps bro. That would never fly around here tho. Did a red oak stump a couple weeks back that was 8 ft - no s##t. only got 4bills on that but it only took an hour and a half. A lot of guys low ball stumps and it's hard to compete, especially if your grinder cost more then all their equipment combined.

Like that TX, we rent one now and then if I can't get the tow behind on it or its too much for the little 25 horse.

I know what you mean, I got to deal with the cheap-po's here too, most of the guys around here have tow-behinds, I grind for just about everybody with or with out a grinder here. But my biggest deal is the folks that'll run their grinder for almost nothing! I'll drive off in a heart-beat if i don't get what I want! I'm not in business to go out of business!!!

I was using a Vermeer SC60TX with a Sandvic Disk. The stump was a large willow stump that had 3 large main trunks evolving into 1 large stump. The stump was approx 10-12 inches above grade including the upswell of the ground around the stump. It was ground approx 6-8 inches below grade. The machine that did the clean up was a Bobcat T320 or T300 (I can't remember which one I brought). The dump truck was a Ford F800 single axle with a 16 foot box. Their was approx 5-6 yards of chip debris removed with hole backfilled and packed with the dirtiest of the grindings. Customer was responisible for soil and sodding. The grinder was brought to the job with a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel on trailer.

I just took delivery of this sc505tx with yellowjacket teeth today. 1200 hours. 50hp perkins. Just going to sit until spring but I'm anxious to see what it will do. Hopefully, it won't be a maintenance nightmare and will make some coin on big stumps. I sold my towable 65hp diesel grinder this spring because it sat around too much due to access issues. Hope the tracked grinder gets more use...

AP

Latest posts

Back