biggest tree fell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
short that reminds me of a story from back in 01'george said both trucks are coming back to load off of you and i had nothing at the road and about two hours to skid two loads!the pressure was on so i dove in found a good spot to deck and man i was bringing em in and about an hour in i got to thinking why are there no logs in this one area?so i get to looking around and i had dove right into a salamander area,they had marked the boundary with the same color paint as timberharvest boundary,honest mistake to me but f.s. seemed to take it personal i kid you not four trucks full of paperpushers rolled out next morning i didnt know if i was going to skid or prison?so i just kept movin they never tried to yank me out of my cage,wonder how much paperwork i created off that deal?lol:monkey:

Hahaha.
I bet they loved you for that.
If you had squashed any salamanders they would have let you know about it (don't ask how I know).

Andy

36" Hard maple that was lightning struck many years ago and only had 4" of live wood around the outer diameter and cat-faced to the left of my holding wood. Good thing the tree was leaning towards planned direction. have pictures and video...might upload them sometime. Felled the tree when i was 18, and still am 18 right now haha

I haven't dropped that many big trees though tall trees are pretty common for me right now. The largest was a redwood snag the measured 9 1/2' at the cut. Most of the bigger dbh trees I work on are goose penned or at least cat faced. Some of theses trees seem to be mostly air. I drop around one tree 175' to 200' tall per week. Most of these are in the 4' dbh range. I'll post a pic in another thread later tonight of a tree I saw fall (and hang) Friday.

Just a couple of 48" plus red oak and poplar stumps- second growth hardwood. Nice trees though.
2Dogs, I can't believe you were right there for that snag falling! That looks like a really nice redwood its leaned on in that second photo

Just a couple of 48" plus red oak and poplar stumps- second growth hardwood. Nice trees though.
2Dogs, I can't believe you were right there for that snag falling! That looks like a really nice redwood its leaned on in that second photo

Even at 100 yards away across the river and the tree hanging up I could still feel the vibration. I spun around to make sure nothing else was falling.

my record

fell a 100'+ oak that i cant buck for fire wood yet because of the ticks in the woods!......i have to wait till november!
its sister tree is snagged on another oak its about 60/80' i left the straightest one standing i was gonna put pics of the trees on a WVlogger thread but frist the rain stopped me and now its the ticks. i dont go in the woods when the :censored: ticks are out!

i have cut a dried/dead 80ft maple in 15mins w/my 051,(and loaded on my truck). :monkey:because it wasnt on my property!

biggest tree

Cut a 66' ash tree in Mattapan/Boston last summer.That tree was 45' straight as an arrow then huge leaders.The back cut was 2 feet high still 66' solid .Had to buck it 5' lengths to lift it with the 124 Prentice on the triaxle.Was tempted to haul it home for firewood .Too busy.Counted the rings,was only approximately 125 years old,(unobstructed Southern exposure.)First time I ever ran a 4' bar.That was a trip cause when it flopped, it was sunk in the dirt .That's a lotta chain to sharpen.Hated to haul it to the dump.I'm sure that would have split like a dream.

I put a maple down that measured 52". Biggest limb was 29". Never cut anything that big before and wish I would have known about the 3" hole ( full of water) in the center of it. I hit it and thought I was going to drown. It ran 40 feet up the trunk. I cut the logs at about 20"'s, quartered them and was all I could do to push them up a ramp on to my wagon ( about 12"'s off of the ground).

actually the fattest tree i have fell was 60"piss fir at cut level but the top half or more had broken out,i was able to get a solid 27'log out of it,i had saved it for the end of the day and got to sawin first off hit the sap vein poured out like molasses 6 inch wide river jammed my saw up more than once,then hit the water vein and im guessin 20 gallons or more poured out,glad i saved it for the end of the day because i was pretty much sopped at the end of that deal

I cut a fir that with a 28'' bar i couldent get to over a foot of heart wood even after gutting the face. It was a waiting game when i got her all backed up lots of talking!

didnt have to gut the face on this one but i had to get every last bit with my 28 and couldnt reach the core foot and a half or so plus no head lean lucky the wedges finally busted it ,pretty hard earned three dollars and twenty cents:givebeer:

Consistently in 4-6ft eucalypts biggest I ever fell was about 12 ft through, majority solid bout 6 inches of wet rot in the heart,

I cut a fir that with a 28'' bar i couldent get to over a foot of heart wood even after gutting the face. It was a waiting game when i got her all backed up lots of talking!

After you face bored the tree you still could not reach a post a foot in diameter? Wow that must mean that tree was 10' in diameter at least. Do you have any pics? Was this a Virginia fir?

After you face bored the tree you still could not reach a post a foot in diameter? Wow that must mean that tree was 10' in diameter at least. Do you have any pics? Was this a Virginia fir?

No it was an Ironside fir and somewhere i have a disposable that has pics of my 795 with 42'' bar and me sitting on the stump. legs pointed one way and saw to my back we allmost fit on the stump without hanging off.

I also have pics on that camera of that fir that gushed gallons of sap all over my 372.

But i think you are off alittle in your math 8 feet is more closer:)

I didnt measure it, but here is a pic.

charlie-brown-tree.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back