Biggest tree i fell so far.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLMCRZY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Heres a few pictures from yesterday. I was very nervous about falling this tree since its the biggest one to date, not to mention my saw is very small for this size of a tree. I did the best i could my notch cut needs a little work i believe, but i think a bigger saw would help. I did drop it right where i aimed it!

I been working this little echo saw alot lately, i have a bbq restaurant that buys all the wood i can cut. Later down the road im going to get a bigger saw and hand the echo over to the gf to limb for me.

p_00068.jpg

p_00069.jpg

p_00072.jpg

p_00070.jpg

p_00071.jpg

Please if you have any advice let me know!

Nice job looks like there is a bigger one in the background waiting on you...

Are you in south texas...or hill country? Looks pretty dry there

Nice job looks like there is a bigger one in the background waiting on you...

Are you in south texas...or hill country? Looks pretty dry there

This is in Marble Falls which is the hill country. I think this is the last tree coming from this property but there is a few neighbors we are working on. The bbq place wants post oak and mesquite.

I think you did good. Like is already said, if you get it down without getting hurt or destroying anything it's a job well done.

Just never forget about the unseen dangers. Limbs breaking and falling on you, barber chairs, etc.

Most of us learn to be very careful and keep looking up by getting hurt. I have had a couple close calls in which I've been hurt but not killed thank the Lord, but it is too easy to get hurt. Just be careful.

I also sell alot of wood to a guy who cuts it into small pieces to sell to restaurants for smoking wood. Apple, Hickory, Cherry, Sugar Maple, Peach, Pecan, etc. are just a few that he buys. i can't keep him near enough. He buys from two other guys also. I think the dude must make a killing because he has alot of nice stuff, but no day job. May be something to get into.

I have looked for smoking wood online and it goes for 30 bucks a box sometimes. This is like a 1ft X 2ft square box.

...my notch cut needs a little work i believe...

Please if you have any advice let me know!
The notch is a little deep. Try to keep it 1/3 or less than the thickness of the tree.
Looks like the hinge held well and you put it where you wanted. :clap:

An old timer was telling me yesterday about a tree "coming after him" when it started to go over.
I had told him I'd help him when I got out of work, but he didn't wait.
I've heard him talk about felling trees before. He just cuts in on the face side "a little ways" and then cuts in from the back. No notch. :dizzy:
I tried to explain the need for a hinge to him but he says he "doesn't like to do it that way." :dizzy:
I said, "Can I have your saws when you die ?" LOL

Last edited:
The notch is a little deep. Try to keep it 1/3 or less than the thickness of the tree.
Looks like the hinge held well and you put it where you wanted. :clap:

An old timer was telling me yesterday about a tree "coming after him" when it started to go over.
I had told him I'd help him when I got out of work, but he didn't wait.
I've heard him talk about felling trees before. He just cuts in on the face side "a little ways" and then cuts in from the back. No notch. :dizzy:
I tried to explain the need for a hinge to him but he says he "doesn't like to do it that way." :dizzy:
I said, "Can I have your saws when you die ?" LOL

Every time I cut with my Amish Buds, I wish I wore sneakers instead of boots for the same reason. They practice a low no face cut felling technique, that leads to spinning unpredictible trees falling all over the place.
Show them a proper face, wedge, and back cut technique and they shake thier heads, as it "Wastes wood".
Granted, on veneer trees I could see it, but not for everything.

Dadgum though, 60yr old Amish dudes can move like a scalded cat when they want to LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My back cut would have been a little more level with the notch, that is just how I cut though. Thanks for sharing, time to move on up to a Stihl.

http://wesspur.com/books/tree-felling-books.html

To Fell a Tree and Fundamentals of General Tree Work are great books. To Fell a Tree is very basic and has a lot of useful info for someone new to tree work. Fundamentals of General Tree Work has tons of info and is written by a legend. Lots of climbing info but also a great section on chains, as well as tons of felling info. You're doing good. Just take your time, match up your cuts well, and be safe.

Tell you the truth, I don't care what the stump looks like when I am done. Some of my stumps look much worse than what you showed. It was a good day as long as it goes close to where you aimed and no one was hurt. I cut a red oak once that ended up in Smith Mountian Lake, was none to happen about that. It went down a steep embankment and over a short cliff. Decent size tree too, the stump was 28 1/2 inches across. That is my example of a bad cut.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Went out there and finished up today and had to leave half the tree saw is way to small! I tryed my hardest but it was just way to hard on the saw and i was getting frustrated! I noodle alot of them and that little saw barely held on haha.

Do any dealers finance? My funds are a bit low to just go out and buy a $600 saw but i can make that in less then 2 weeks cutting wood for this bbq restaurant. I really want a husky but i will take a nice Stihl. Monday i was gonna shop around and see if the girlfriend would let us finance one. If i get a bigger saw i can make ALOT more money. I was thinking if i went with stihl maybe the ms362, or do i need a little bigger?

I don't know if any dealers have a finance option, but you may want to look into the "Buy now pay later" option on Paypal. If I were a dealer, I am not so sure I would want to finance a saw with the risk of someone blowing a saw up and refusing to pay.

I don't know if any dealers have a finance option, but you may want to look into the "Buy now pay later" option on Paypal. If I were a dealer, I am not so sure I would want to finance a saw with the risk of someone blowing a saw up and refusing to pay.

It has been my experience that regular donations to the coffee can above the fridge work out far better than any kind of buy no, pay later deal... ;)

Cash is king.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back