Biggest wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be willing to bet that old honey locust was making some sparks when you put the chain into it. :msp_ohmy:

I'd be willing to bet that old honey locust was making some sparks when you put the chain into it. :msp_ohmy:

Me and a friend cut it up with a 28 bar on a husky saw. That piece in pick was about 4 feet up from bottom stump. The base was a lot bigger. The people that lived where the tree was say it was over 150 years old. One of two huge honey locust in that town. Just one left now.

Elm tree, about 2' or so above the base it was 54"+ across. Lotsa maples in the 40+ range. In all honesty we don't have too many large trees in Michigan compared to some of the southern and western states. CJ

asset.php
Some red oak. Hat for scale

We've had some fairly large ones over the years. Toothpicks compared to some of them out west though I'll include a few pics I've shown before.

205815d1320514440-mvc-012s-jpg

MVC-022F.JPG

This Ash was right behind my house. Over 4 ft at the base and over 80ft high. Lightning hit it 4 times that I know of and finally took most of it out. 2/3 of it fell out and it is still alive on what is left(shown in the second pic)

85587d1231027676-mvc-009s-jpg

85588d1231027719-mvc-008s-jpg

85789d1231179664-mvc-024s-jpg

This Beech was was close to 6ft at the base. Ike took the top out and the 2 main branches 30 ft up were 3ft and 4ft in diameter. Second pic is the wood from JUST the top. Over 15 cord in one tree. I'd guess it was close to 400 years old as I've counted 3 footers and they are 200 years here by the rings.

85676d1231077668-mvc-012s-jpg

MVC-022S_7.JPG

MVC-023S_7.JPG

This sycamore is the biggest, healthy tree we now have. close to 5 ft at the base. I wonder how much water this thing sucks up a year? Second pic shows a leaf from it last year. There are about 5 big sycamore trees withing a 200ft area here. On the other side of the creek there is a double that has 2 4 footers together. You can see that in the 3rd pic.

We had 2 big maples that were over 4 ft out by the road of this farm too. We cut those as they were way to close to the house and would have killed someone if they fell on it. Kinda rare to get this size around here as 3 ft is generally the norm.

Wow kevin, those are some nice trees. Too bad some of them have to come down.

The largest one I have pics of.... almost 60" White Oak. Originally hit by lightening, it finially passed.

Ed

Here you are.

We did have to pull it over, the road was 20' behind it and it wanted to go there. The dozer was the safest way to get where it needed to go.

Ed

Biggest Round Loaded

Here's the biggest round I ever loaded onto the truck:

Believe it or not, this was the first branch up on the tree itelf--a 110-year-old Gingko tree. The tree is still standing and the trunk has to be 6' across at 4' up. A storm took down the branch.

I no longer load rounds this big. I noodle cut them into halves or quarters instead. Then I load the sections. My truck really appreciates that, especially the tailgate.

My truck really appreciates that, especially the tailgate.[/QUOTE]

when a person buys a pickemup, the first damn thing we ought to do,,is to take the inside bottom of the tailgate apart on one end.slide a gas pipe of the appropriate dia in there, and weld it in,,on both ends,,then put the taken apart end back together....while it wont stop SOME of us,,from trying to stack a locomotive up there, it would go a long ways to keep the tailgate from bending.................then take out the panel to access the latch,,and coat the inside bottom with the proper antirust goo...and FORGET the china replacement tailgates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
My Solution

My truck really appreciates that, especially the tailgate.

when a person buys a pickemup, the first damn thing we ought to do,,is to take the inside bottom of the tailgate apart on one end.slide a gas pipe of the appropriate dia in there, and weld it in,,on both ends,,then put the taken apart end back together....while it wont stop SOME of us,,from trying to stack a locomotive up there, it would go a long ways to keep the tailgate from bending.................then take out the panel to access the latch,,and coat the inside bottom with the proper antirust goo...and FORGET the china replacement tailgates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--------------------------
I still drive this Ranger truck, even though the Pic was several years ago. Here's what I did to fix the situation to strengthen the tailgate:
Before:

After:

It was a rather simple solution. Bedframe angle iron with hardwood jammed underneath. Then, lag bolt the angle iron to the tailgate with big screws.

Alternative long-term solution: Noodle cut the huge rounds in half and then into quarters as need be. Get the pieces down to less than 100 lb each. That's my current solution.

Last edited:
Few shots of a 36" dbh Cottonwood I dropped last fall, best guess was 110' tall. It had died the year before, needed to get it down before it became a hazard.

Made a hellofa thump when it hit the ground.

Ed

Large wood is nice because you get all heart wood and a little bit of bark. But it's a ##### working with it unless you have the right equipment for it. Hats off to you guys that handle the big stuff.

Back