Black locust bowl turning stock?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinj

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have 3, 8 foot long by 12 inch black locust. Looking for the best way to turn it into bowl turning stock any ideas would be great?

The only thing I'd recommend when cutting 'turning stock'...

Make sure the pith is not part of the 'blank'. Someone will turn the piece, get it finished, and then it'll crack right through the pith. Some like the 'cracked pith' as it-adds-character kind of thing, most don't.

Scott

Must have been black locust day Mike and i cut four heaping loads yesterday , ankle deep mud and i did a back flip he laughed so hard got me to laughing . use a longer bar ,and ya probable don't need the fan . petty wood but dam heavy i am stiff this morning .john t

The only thing I'd recommend when cutting 'turning stock'...

Make sure the pith is not part of the 'blank'. Someone will turn the piece, get it finished, and then it'll crack right through the pith. Some like the 'cracked pith' as it-adds-character kind of thing, most don't.

Scott

Thats where I am at. Think I can run 3 beams at 3-1/2 inchs. Just use the 2 outter sections for bowl blanks and save the center for something else.

I think your saying your going to just slice it in half.....if so, wait! Lots of waste wood doing that.

bowlblanklayout.jpg

By doing some 'layout' work on the end of the log, drawing the rough shape of the vessel/bowl your wanting...you will reduce the amount of wasted wood. Black Locust bark stays in place pretty well and only requires the use of thin CA to keep it on the wood during a turning....so think about some 'natural edge bowl blanks' too!

Scott

I think your saying your going to just slice it in half.....if so, wait! Lots of waste wood doing that.

bowlblanklayout.jpg

By doing some 'layout' work on the end of the log, drawing the rough shape of the vessel/bowl your wanting...you will reduce the amount of wasted wood. Black Locust bark stays in place pretty well and only requires the use of thin CA to keep it on the wood during a turning....so think about some 'natural edge bowl blanks' too!

Scott

All should be natural edge. the log is 12 inch across. I thinking taking 3 milling cutts 3-1/2 inchs thick. Center board will be used for smothing else, and the 2 outer section will be blanks. Does that sound right?

With the 3-1/2" thick slab from the center, you can always get bottle-stopper and pen blanks.....make some crosscut(the blanks) to get a different tone from the grain.

Scott

Latest posts

Back