black walnut logs in Illinois

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeslayer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We have the rights to several big black walnut trees we will be removing soon. they are 3' - 4' diameter, and can be sawed to length on site.

We are in Wonder Lake, (northern Illinois). logs can be delivered possibly depending on location.

PM me for phone # Thanks!

Wish I were closer.

What does a BW log that size bring in your neck of the woods? Just a ballpark figure, I know you probably can't give an exact number.

Mr. HE:cool:

Wow, somebody's making a fortune then, because even S2S Walnut that is supposedly shop grade (more like #2 to me) goes for $6-$10 per BF at the lumber yards up here. Mind you there isn't a walnut tree as big as you have within a few hundred miles of here, so that doesn't help.

Wow, somebody's making a fortune then, because even S2S Walnut that is supposedly shop grade (more like #2 to me) goes for $6-$10 per BF at the lumber yards up here. Mind you there isn't a walnut tree as big as you have within a few hundred miles of here, so that doesn't help.

Are those values for cut and sawn or stump values?Mine was for the latter,with the OP's situation in mind.

We do still have quite alot of walnut here....now true veneer logs on the other hand,are worth a small fortune.

Good hardwood logs around here are only bringing about $.50 a BF. I am looking at a job that would produce 7000 BF of good oak logs. Trouble is that the property owner wants to split up the work into six segments. Hardly makes it worth the trouble to haul the logs 33 miles.

I've made a suggestion and we'll see what the reply is.

Mr. HE:cool:

I would be interested in discussing the possibility of a shared venture with someone who has a decent mill, we have a good spot for a log yard, and actually cut quite a bit of big trees.

whole lot more money for sawed wood than logs. :cheers:

what would be a fair price/percentage to pay someone to saw for us?

whole lot more money for sawed wood than logs.

That depends. If you don't know a veneer log from a saw log than you could be shooting your self in the foot.

With walnut, most end users don't want any sapwood. You either steam it or edge it out.

If you don't know grade, than again you could be shooting yourself in the foot.

A lot more to it, than just thinking your going to saw these walnut logs up and get rich.

If your sawyer doesn't know much, than again your on the losing end. Uniform thickness, defect placement etc.

Most guys I know charge 0.25/ft to saw. If they hit hardware, it is so much each time they hit. Say it is 20.00. They hit hardware in your log five times, that is $100 right there plus sawing cost and if the quaility isn't there as far as grade, than your SOL.

Dave,

lumberinspector had some good points. What lengths are you cutting the BW logs into? If possible try to find a market for the boards before cutting the logs. Cutting to customer spec length tends to bring best price for BW. BW has slightly different grading rules than most hardwoods. Make sure your sawyer knows the difference.

Be aware that BW logs can vary in value by a factor of 20 or more. Price depends on size, color, grain pattern, texture, growth rate, etc. Any metal at all will drop the log value a lot for commerical buyers. There is a lot of risk in buying BW logs, so buyers try to lowball as much as possible. Much less risk in buyng the lumber, so buyers tend to be willing to pay much better for nice boards.
Of course, the person paying for the sawing ends up being the real risk taker in that case. So, how good is your Poker game?
Rick

If you know the buyer get a signed agreement concerning length etc.
Nothing worse than cutting a bunch of logs up to 10' or 12' lengths, getting them to a mill and they pay $X per foot but only want 8' logs, so they only pay for the first 8'.

Couple of years ago, before the big bust good walnut NOT veneer was getting 2-4 $ bdf stumpage.Keep in mind that was during the walnut frenzy when they were cutting any size walnut.:chainsaw:

Back