Blades are spinning at idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"blades" spinning at idle is a common older stihl issues. weak ****** springs with heavy shoes. replacing springs can help but if there are grooves worn in the shoes where the springs hook on they may not do enough to matter. sometimes replacing the clutch is all you can do. hutzl clutches are cheap and i've had great luck with them if they have one available for the models you need them for.

"blades" spinning at idle is a common older stihl issues. weak ****** springs with heavy shoes. replacing springs can help but if there are grooves worn in the shoes where the springs hook on they may not do enough to matter. sometimes replacing the clutch is all you can do. hutzl clutches are cheap and i've had great luck with them if they have one available for the models you need them for.

A small insert can be inserted in the egg shaped hole to make it work well again. I have seen this done before.

A small insert can be inserted in the egg shaped hole to make it work well again. I have seen this done before.

i looked into it and there was nothing? the spring hooks on a cast shoe but would be nice if there was a replaceable steel insert. or maybe stihl should start using husky as their clutch supplier lol

Still sounds like a carb adj to me. He said a few saws, seems odd that a few saws would have a bad clutch.

You obviously haven't had a few old stihls on the bench. Their clutches suck!!! I've had upward of 10-12 660's at one time. I might have built 2-3 good clutches out of all the ****** clutches in the 10-12 saws. Stihl I believe has redesigned their clutches across the board the have lighter shoes and stiffer heavier springs to deal with the issue. Hutzl copied stihls newest clutch design so I swear their's are close to as good for no where near the money.

i looked into it and there was nothing? the spring hooks on a cast shoe but would be nice if there was a replaceable steel insert. or maybe stihl should start using husky as their clutch supplier lol

inserts were not OEM it was a shadetree job by a customer of mine. But no rocket science to make up a set of your own.

inserts were not OEM it was a shadetree job by a customer of mine. But no rocket science to make up a set of your own.

that would be interesting to see, stihl have those little ears on the shoes those springs hook too. to line those little ears and keep the insert in place is probably doable but i'll just go pick up a hutzl clutch. about the only way i can think of to repair that would be a steel rivet in the hole and drilled out so the spring could hook on. that sounds like alot more work then a $10 hutzl clutch lol. at this point i have abused hutzl clutches enough to say they work and what seems to be as good as OEM in many cases.

Back