Blocking, chunking, undermining the COG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Youre a nurse that does tree work on the weekends as "hobby". And yes city work is much different then your family and friends jobs In the sticks.

My part time status does not automatically constitute ineptitude. I've brought down 100' cottonwoods directly over decks and 60' spruce between houses and fences.

I'm fully aware that what's below, to a great degree dictates the specific methods employed. I try to keep my tool box full and select the right techniques for the given the situation.

More often than not my wood comes down on ropes. Not a lot of free-fall.

My point is I could get the same results as you in half the time without all the excess cutting. Nice vid but youre nuts if you think this wouldnt get questioned for inefficiency. anyway ill let the rest of these fluffers ride your leg, was just trying to add some constructive criticism

I had to look very carefully to find your reply....not sure why you quoted me 3 times, and why then that youre response seems incomplete.

Constructive criticism is welcome, if its honest.

As well as calling me an egotistical, ignorant European, lol.

I actually think you're being quite naive to a point, no offense. Ive worked with hundreds of busy, cutting/climbing guys over the years....making lots of noise, trying to be fast....busy fukcn fools most of them, as it usually turns out. They usually get over it and realise that Im just doing my job also....and not out to make anyone look bad. A lot of the time its just lack of experience, on a broader scale....not enough depth.

As for people trying to ride my leg or whatever. Thats a $hitty attitude to take....and totally disproportionate. If you truly believe you're twice as quick as I at treework, then good for you mate, carry on thinking that.

Reg this sites a mess it triple posts all time. You have any idea how many gearhead lightweights ive seen overthink basic removals?. Youre good but in reality your no more then the best plumber. you charge twice as much and take twice as long.

Reg this sites a mess it triple posts all time. You have any idea how many gearhead lightweights ive seen overthink basic removals?. Youre good but in reality your no more then the best plumber. you charge twice as much and take twice as long.

Sounds like you're not charging enough ;)

I use this cut all the time, not just blocking down but falling also. Loggers call it 'sawing lean into a tree'. It helps, even if you still have to set a pull rope. When it comes to the back cut, making it level rather than adding stump shot will also ease your life. People put far too much stump shot into their back cuts for no real reason other than that's how they've always done it. If you're taking down big heavy blocks then a humboldt with a snipe can help you land them flat and push them out a ways too.

Shaun

LMAO, Reg, your facial expression in the vid with the little sticks really say "OK you phuknuts, I am really tired of watching stupid **** so I will teach you, but you will probably screw it up anyways"

You kept looking over your should, so I kept waiting for Ninja's

There is a time and place for all cuts said above. I do the exact same thing when I have the big LZ, up high on a strait stick and I want and can go big. You have to get the cuts perfect tho, one mis step and the whole plan goes out the window. Not for novices. That little 2-hand push as it comes away, makes a big diff too. Sometimes I cut straight thru and let it peel off, on smaller stuff. Sometimes do a snap cut with a tag on medium to big. Doing what Reg is doing, shouldn't be something ya try when it really counts. Practice those shots when ya have nothing to smash, in any direction below the tree. He is right about making the angle "top" cut first. This was a big problem in Cali, guys would do the bottom face cut first then try to match it up. They would always miss. Then they would jack the back cut up real bad, never having it square. Much easier to do it the other way. I have also seen "cowboys" who don't want to take the time to do anything but cut straight thru on big stuff, only to pinch their bar when it sits back down. Then they are up there trying to man handle a 4ft dia piece 20-30ft up without bending the bar. Then, if they are lucky and get it out, the piece never comes off the way they want. A little time and effort and you can take monster chunks with very little effort. Put the notch in deep and in the right direction and it goes over with very little effort. Provided the back cut is perfectly level with the apex of the notch and even across. On the big monster stuff, I will deep notch and use a tag. Have also seen guys get scared, only do part of the back cut and then try to push it over with 3-4" of holding wood on one side. That is always a site to see. HW is right, sometimes, just cutting smaller chunks that are manageable by hand can be quicker and you can get away not taking the time for notches or snap cuts, it also makes the material hitting the ground small enough to be escaped from the LZ fast and the processed, in between cuts, instead of having a big pile at the bottom that has to be cut, then hauled,AFTER the tree is down, but no reason to be a dyck about it! Your a god HW, we know!

I think it all depends on the tree, site conditions, the LZ and climber condition. Going big or staying small? Or a little of both. Sometimes I do all the different cuts on the same tree. I don't get alot of skinny talls tho, usually some big gnarly things that has branches going every which way. I lose the skinnys to the hacks and novices most of the time, as they are much easier and bid them real low. Ultimately, it depends on the situation of the day and the ability of the Arb to recognize the safest, fastest way possible.

Cool vid Reg, good point HW, I'll get off your legs now

If what you say has any truth to it, its truly amazing then that I keep getting hired....by other contractors, not homeowners. Whichever country ive worked, its been the same story. Jobs that the tree companies could do them selves and keep all the money.....but rather they want the ignorant, egotistical, slow-ass European to do it for them. Even in the quiet period right now. Funny how that works. I guess they must all just have HUGE hearts.

I could line up some work for you here, easily. You're only a ferry ride away as I recall. It'd all be cool mate, I wouldn't set you up for a fall or anything like that. Just be curious to see how you'd cope with the same expectations that are put on me over the course of a given day. Although I would urge you beforehand reconsider your thinking that chunking down a 140ft spar in 3-4 ft sections is faster than 12 footers.

How long have you been doing treework and where, as a matter of interest?

Sgreanbeans, I was looking over my shoulder,at the neighbours looking over at me. Thanks

Wonder what they where thinking "this guy never gets enough, brings home branches and plays with them in his carport, he has a real problem"
I am down for that trip Reg, we don't have anything real tall here. Have not been over 100' too many times. Bombing down something from 140ft, I def would go for the bigger shots. Would love to get up into one of those. Actually, I would love to climb Hyperion 379' with Dr. Sillette, but its real hard to get in with those guys, they get a lot of request. I tried.

Put down the wedge, Reg
Hook it to the truck, Buck
And cut it with the saw, Paul.
There must be 50 ways to chop down the tree.

And look Reg, hanging out at the shop with the lights out , everybody gone home and you making documentary video, well, its a little creepy. Now, we are all gonna take the ferry up to Mr. Holden Wood's to get drunk and troll for transvestites so let us know if you want to come as we will save the best one for you!

Put down the wedge, Reg
Hook it to the truck, Buck
And cut it with the saw, Paul.
There must be 50 ways to chop down the tree.

And look Reg, hanging out at the shop with the lights out , everybody gone home and you making documentary video, well, its a little creepy. Now, we are all gonna take the ferry up to Mr. Holden Wood's to get drunk and troll for transvestites so let us know if you want to come as we will save the best one for you!

Put down the bong, Dan.
Step away from the rabbit, man.
Sound like a solid plan?

Lol, I think I could get the hang of this!!:laugh:

And I try to estimate 11 footers whenever I can get em down that big. Makes loading onto truck, getting paid, and getting to next beer all that much quicker. Kind of a trick with the average "big tree" being only 90' around here, but worth the effort to me when possible. Teeny little pieces make more work IMO.

I'd be interested in seeing reg and Holden at work ...... There reputation that they tirelessly convey to us would have me believe that if I wasn't ever gay for a tree climber then one of these two could change that !

I'd be interested in seeing reg and Holden at work ...... There reputation that they tirelessly convey to us would have me believe that if I wasn't ever gay for a tree climber then one of these two could change that !

Holden is welcome here any time Eddie....you boys too for that matter, Im not kidding. I'll thank you to leave any such gay curiosities at home though.

Thats my carport Dan, not a shop.

The vid was purley about the technique....not the story of that specific job, or the other couple clips included. They were just the most suitable footage that I had to hand.

FWIW, We took out about 7 trees of similar size on that particular site. The property to my back (Kevin) was actually paying for it, not the owner of the trees....on the condition that we didn't damage any other trees, and removed everything from site. Kevin wanted all the wood so it made sense to drop the fence and winch all the logs across the boundary. We used the honda gas winch is good for about 1500 logs.....so 10, 12 footers are about right. We weren't about to start dicing stuff into little rounds and breaking out the wheel barrows. I think we were there for 2 days.

Couple tops here:

Man. There sure are some jerk offs on here eh? Haha, jeeze. o_O We all do the same very dangerous work. What's with all the hate/**** talking on here? People say be safe, take your time, yada yada, then, it seems they turn right around and talk **** on someone's techniques being tooooo slow, or waaaaaasteful, or whatever the hell. I just don't get it. Why's everyone always wanna make a big deal outta stuff? Never met Reg in person but he seems like a sound fella who's confident/good enough to take large chunks like demonstrated, annnnnnd also be safe and smart to his comfort level about it. No ones "way" is really "better" than anyone else's in reality. Especially if they accomplish what they set out to do that day, and safely leave site and go back home that evening. Hope somebody gets what I'm trying to say. And Reg, keep being an "egotistical European"! I do quite enjoy how it seems to disgruntle lots of my fellow "mericuns" :laugh:

I use this cut sometimes, didn't know it had a name! I just learned the trick of sticking a dowel or two in the kerf to roll big chunks off the stem last year or so and some times combine the two.

That's a useful trick. You can also use the dowels when making your sloping cut on the face. Comes in handy on bigger trees where you can't see the gun cut. Make your gun cut, then stick a dowel in each side. You can use that to line the saw up for the slope cut. Makes perfect faces first time every time. pop a few more sticks in the back cut, will stop the log setting down and pinching your saw.

Back