Blow a 4 month old 460 up today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honda12967

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought it at my shop on 11-10-10, used it a little in the winter and do tree work on the side. Saw sat all winter went and cut a tree up with my buddy a week ago. Go to a job today Had a 4-5 ft diameter pine tree. My buddy climbed it dropped the top so i had about 20ft to drop. I dropped the rest start cutting it up then go to cut the stump flush and the saw just dies, scored on the exhaust side. The saw has less than 20 hours on it, This was the only saw i have I left alone and didnt muffler modd it or even mess with the adjustments. I hope its warrenty if not its getting a big bore kit. It just makes me made i spend just about a $1000 on this saw and doesnt last me months.

I bought it at my shop on 11-10-10, used it a little in the winter and do tree work on the side. Saw sat all winter went and cut a tree up with my buddy a week ago. Go to a job today Had a 4-5 ft diameter pine tree. My buddy climbed it dropped the top so i had about 20ft to drop. I dropped the rest start cutting it up then go to cut the stump flush and the saw just dies, scored on the exhaust side. The saw has less than 20 hours on it, This was the only saw i have I left alone and didnt muffler modd it or even mess with the adjustments. I hope its warrenty if not its getting a big bore kit. It just makes me made i spend just about a $1000 on this saw and doesnt last me months.
Dam man that sucks. Any ideas to as to what the problem was.

if its scored on the ex side it sounds like it may have been too lean from the factory or dare i say it,,,,straight gassed. either way id say your on your own and id clean up the cylinder if it will and put in a meteor piston. id stay away from the big bore unless its the only choice

I know it wasnt the gas i always run 93 octane and stihl ultra. Im also the parts guy at the store, I might be able to try and warrenty it but the mechanic is pullin it apart to verify what happend. It sucks i muffler modded my echo and complety rebuild my 036, This was the only saw i didnt mess with thinking it would be fine. Guess i was wrong, i should of tweaked it.

I MM mine and made sure it's plenty rich, yesterday made 58 tanks of mix and still plenty of 4stroke.

Thats to bad what happened to your saw. Just proof of the EPA killing saws when they are selling them with a exit in the muffler the size of a #2 pencil.

How oil was the mix? Did you leave mix in the saw longer that a month? If it was on the edge with fresh mix it could of been over the edge with old mix and or slightly gunked carb.

Probably too lean from the factory. Was it ever checked with a tach?

I almost feel that mine was a bit lean from the factory also.. I noticed faint faint scoring on the piston and cylinder only after an hour or so of use, its not bad at all, but i can see something so its obviously scored a tinyy bit. It feels smooth and doesnt catch your fingernail. Could it be from the dealer/salesman startin the saw and pretty much runnin it full throttle within seconds?.. I know he we listening to the rpm's but he didnt even let it warm up at all..

Anyways i brought it home, dumped the gas out, put in a 40:1 mix and turned the H screw out as far as it would go.. which wasnt anything really because of the limiters... but ive put about 5more tanks through it since that, and i re checked, it hasnt gotten worse so thats a good sign..

Before the 90 day warranty is up, ima take the muff off and go in and show them just incase..
Sorry for the thread hijack!:(

saw is not muff modded. stock

Last edited:
I almost feel that mine was a bit lean from the factory also.. I noticed faint faint scoring on the piston and cylinder only after an hour or so of use, its not bad at all, but i can see something so its obviously scored a tinyy bit. It feels smooth and doesnt catch your fingernail. Could it be from the dealer/salesman startin the saw and pretty much runnin it full throttle within seconds?.. I know he we listening to the rpm's but he didnt even let it warm up at all..

My MS 440 has the slight scoring as well, although I run her rich, too. Does that affect compression a lot?

Sound like stale fuel to me. I've had saws where the filler cap ring seal doesn't seal and the fuel evaporates leaving 2T oil dripping from the cap after a few weeks. What does that mean for the fuel left... more or less oil in it? I don't know but I change it straight away.

Probably lean from the factory. Could have even had a leak in the fuel line or impulse hoes. Air leak somewhere could cause that. Should'nt be on a new saw but you never know.

Wow....terrible news to hear.

I just bought a 460 about a week ago and it was definitely running lean right out of the box. I only ran a few cuts with it before I did a MM and set the wot RPM's to 13,500. I didn't check the RPM's before the mod....

Yup sound like she was running a bit too lean. Straight gas usually scores pretty much the whole piston.

If it was running lean and the dealer didn't set the saw up correctly it's on them to fix it.

Dang, what a really neat observation (bit of info)--that a straight-gassed seized-up saw will pretty much show a scored piston all the way around. Makes sense, eh!

Back