Blow by in my SC50tx

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1stump

Any Stump, Anywhere!
Reaction score
Smoke is coming out of the breather on top of my 2004 sc50tx, does anyone know what could be wrong? 1100 hours

piston rings r shot or u got an injector stuck open, if your making oil u got a stuck injector, it be puking oil out the breather too. usually they call the engine "dusted" thats when the rings wear from lack of proper air filtration. a little smoke with low pressure is normal, a lot of smoke with high pressure isnt. relativly low hours for it to have high blowby, but if u dont maintain your air filtration u can destroy your rings quickly.

Last edited:
Smoke is coming out of the breather on top of my 2004 sc50tx, does anyone know what could be wrong? 1100 hours

1100 hours could be partially the problem. Rings wore, turbo leak, many things could be the culprit. My sc 602 has 270 hours now or about 2700 stumps at ten stumps per hour average. I have so far replaced clutch,and now the shaft need u'joint and yokes on the upper. I greased them but they must be the most stressed part of the drive line. I hope my machine's motor makes it longer before re-build becomes necessary but I wont hold my breath. Anyway check the draft tube and other crank case ventilation if your lucky it could be stopped up but may also need more serious measures.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it will not always want to turn over easily, I replaced the starter relay and the battery is good!!

worn ring causes blowby and loss of compression, and blowby, r u making oil, if so u got a hung open injector that will cause hard starts and blowby, but will cause your oil level to rise due too fuel dilution. simple, do a compression check, and or pull the injectors and have them tested.

another possibility is a blown head gasket.

Back