Blown Husky 350...now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to make a redneck repair on the 350, one of those damn muffler bolts would NOT stay in the cylinder threads and kept creeping out. I'm tired of dealing with these little issues so I put an old copper guitar string cut to length through the muffler and into the threads and threaded the bolt back in. I hope it holds, it was a tight fit so it should stay snug!

After all the issues I've had with this saw, I can't say I'd recommend a 350 to someone. It just seems like something is always wrong with it. Maybe it's just bad luck, it wasn't rebuilt well by the guy I bought it from so that doesn't help. I wish I would have held out for a 346xp or a 359. But they do make good power to weight, I love running the saw. The porting and squish job and a good tune made a very noticable difference. It drinks quite a bit more fuel now for sure :)

Happy cutting, be safe out there!

Cool, thanks! Yeah, the piston looks very clean on the exhaust side. Also, I think it's flat topped and not dished, so it must have been a 353 replacement piston. The CL ad claimed that the saw "only had a few tanks run through it". Those tanks must have been 5 gallon because this saw has been worked over good. But besides for the minor issues with it, so far so good. I just needed something with more power than my trusty CS400 and it has fit the bill nicely for cutting up bigger stuff for firewood.

View attachment 373854 View attachment 373856 View attachment 373858
I change the piston and plastic clamp in every 350 that I get a hold of. I also reseal the crankcase..... regardless of age.

Had to make a redneck repair on the 350, one of those damn muffler bolts would NOT stay in the cylinder threads and kept creeping out. I'm tired of dealing with these little issues so I put an old copper guitar string cut to length through the muffler and into the threads and threaded the bolt back in. I hope it holds, it was a tight fit so it should stay snug!

After all the issues I've had with this saw, I can't say I'd recommend a 350 to someone. It just seems like something is always wrong with it. Maybe it's just bad luck, it wasn't rebuilt well by the guy I bought it from so that doesn't help. I wish I would have held out for a 346xp or a 359. But they do make good power to weight, I love running the saw. The porting and squish job and a good tune made a very noticable difference. It drinks quite a bit more fuel now for sure :)

Happy cutting, be safe out there!
Grab a 346xp if you get a chance, the quality and performance way above the 350.

We'll see, the other bolt is in there real good and I don't think the jerry rigged one is going anywhere. I know what to listen for when they come loose. Doesn't the 346 bracket screw into the case in front of the muffler?

The real issue is that it's simply a bad design. A steel screw mating to soft aluminum is just not going to work under high vibration and thermal cycling.

I tried to put that bracket on but the bar side of it was too far away from the spikes where it should have mounted.
346 OE bracket, not NE. The OE just bolts to the starter side of the case. You can cut the chain side leg off the NE bracket to make it work also.

I change the piston and plastic clamp in every 350 that I get a hold of. I also reseal the crankcase..... regardless of age.

Thanks to old cat this saw has been worked over good. He cleaned up the surfaces of the case and riser and sealed them and installed the metal clamp. And some internal mischief for good measure.

This saw is a runner for a 50cc with the 353 top end, port work and a hollow muffler can. It's just so dang tempermental! Hoping it will be issue free for a while now...

The 350 is easy to work on, but you have to get those three problems handled. Plastic intake clamp, poorly sealing crankcase and the loose muffler bolts. I have been using some small NAPA cv-boot clamps for the intake, $1.84 and much easier than the oem metal rings.
So what is your fix for the muf screws??????

Latest posts

Back