Blown piston in my 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piston was scored bad on the exhaust.Even had a little on the intake
Ring wasn't intact.

Honestly, knowing this saw & the fact you have scoring on the exhaust side (only? not sure) it does sounds like Gas: Either bad gas, bad mix or improperly adjusted carb (to compensate for difference in gas).

Have you opened up the saw to see if the cylinder is salvageable?

Last edited:
GSP it sounds like you put old bad fuel mix in the saw, how old was the mix anyway? Moisture even very little in the fuel will kill a two cycle engine in short order.

Yeah I thought it was the mix when it happened.
But I ran about 10 tanks through it after.
seemed to be workin fine.

Honestly, knowing this saw & the fact you have scoring on the exhaust side (only? not sure) it does sounds like Gas: Either bad gas, bad mix or improperly adjusted carb (to compensate for difference in gas).

Have you opened up the saw to see if the cylinder is salvageable?

Yeah I got it at the dealer.
Cylinder looks good.
He's putting a piston in it tommorrow.

Yeah I got it at the dealer.
Cylinder looks good.
He's putting a piston in it tommorrow.

Ask him to tach it afterwards as well, just to make sure about the carb setting, unless you do it yourself!

Also observe that you have to run it in, so follow it up with a tach!

Ask him to tach it afterwards as well, just to make sure about the carb setting, unless you do it yourself!

Also observe that you have to run it in, so follow it up with a tach!

I was talkin to him earlier today.He said he's goin to

Looks like all bark and no bite to me lol:biggrinbounce2:

Gboy, I totally agree.

But Frank knows how to run it:hmm3grin2orange:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieKTORoXXqY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieKTORoXXqY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Cmon' troll, you know I got you:D

Gboy, I saw you down below, you aint got nothing to say:D BTW, that piped saw was at 104º from TDC:jawdrop:

trollsaw, there is a rumor going around this is you using your 346 out in the woods:hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dO4fxZKUiXM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dO4fxZKUiXM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I would like to know the exhaust and intake porting differences,transfer differences and how they get 200psi out of the 5100 compared to the Stihls and Huskys?I had 200psi cold after 10 tanks on my 5100 and my ported NE346xp is blowing 175 cold after 17 tanks with no base gasket:confused:

I would like to know the exhaust and intake porting differences,transfer differences and how they get 200psi out of the 5100 compared to the Stihls and Huskys?I had 200psi cold after 10 tanks on my 5100 and my ported NE346xp is blowing 175 cold after 17 tanks with no base gasket:confused:

Superior design and craftsmanship!!!:D

Mike

Size of the combustion chamber?

The other stuff I see as Crane vs Comp vs Isky vs Clay Smith vs...they all have their "numbers" that work for them. I agree, it wood be cool to see the differences.

Some saws run on small case volume, high velocity charge and small combustion chambers = High compression. Others have large case volume, larger transfers and combustion chambers = Lower compression. It really comes down to design principals, they all work, just in a different manner.

Back