Blown piston in my 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it back yesterday.

Everything seems to be workin good.
That is until I backed over it with the 1/2 ton.
Not a good day at all.
Sorry to hear that.Got any pics?I did like my 5100 the time that I had it.They are very hot saws:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

Got it back yesterday.

Everything seems to be workin good.
That is until I backed over it with the 1/2 ton.
Not a good day at all.

What a BUMMER! How many RPM's was your truck at when that happened?
Probably was way lean don't ya think?

I would rep ya if I had any left.

What a BUMMER! How many RPM's was your truck at when that happened?
Probably was way lean don't ya think?

I would rep ya if I had any left.

Lol
My mouth wasn't lean.
The kids heard to many words they shouldn't have.
Told mom right when they got home.

Use the search function, there must be a 100, "I fried my 5100" threads.

100 "I fried my 5100" threads yet I'm still to see any pictures :)

I had 200psi cold after 10 tanks on my 5100 and my ported NE346xp is blowing 175 cold after 17 tanks with no base gasket:confused:

My 5100-S is the same. 200psi :)

Lol
My mouth wasn't lean.

Mate that sucks. Some guys here will probably even chalk that one up to Dolmar unreliability :cheers:

Lol
My mouth wasn't lean.

I know what you mean, I would probably be cussing like a Sailor with Tourette's if I did that.

Just the other day, my $200.00 glasses fell in the floor of my pickup and my son slammed the door on them.

Titanium and glass isn't that great and neither is my composure.

Got ya a rep for the trouble!

There are signs that they lowered the compression on the latest edition of the 5105, as it is said to be easier to start, and is limited at 13,800 rpm.

I assume the reason is the high failiure rate of the early ones, as it is hard to imagine any other reason to do so. ;)

This should be regardwd as a somewhat educated rumor so far, as I have seen no real evidence.

There are signs that they lowered the compression on the latest edition of the 5105, as it is said to be easier to start, and is limited at 13,800 rpm.

I assume the reason is the high failiure rate of the early ones, as it is hard to imagine any other reason to do so. ;)

I'd assume the reason is more to do with emissions compliance and the addition of the cat muffler but could be wrong.

This should be regardwd as a somewhat educated rumor so far, as I have seen no real evidence.[/QUOTE

I don't know what Javelin has mine set at, but I ask for reliability 1st.
I'm not racing anyone in the timber anyway, just trying too stay warm.

He sets my EHP 7900 up the same way, and so far I have been very satisfied with the 5100/7900 combo.

Also I am glad that I found Javelin. It's nice to have a honest dealer that takes pride in his work.

This change happened a while after the cat muffler presumably took care of the EPA issue.

The RPM's "may" be an issue however even larger capacity saws 0f 90cc + are capable of reliable, long term operation at even 14,000rpm. I don't think the 14,500rpm rev limit of the 5100-S was ever the problem, if there was one. They have copped a bad rap though and despite no massive proof a lot of people are starting to believe they are like a hand grenade with handles.

The RPM's "may" be an issue however even larger capacity saws 0f 90cc + are capable of reliable, long term operation at even 14,000rpm. I don't think the 14,500rpm rev limit of the 5100-S was ever the problem, if there was one. They have copped a bad rap though and despite no massive proof a lot of people are starting to believe they are like a hand grenade with handles.

That I believe is the main problem. It sounds almost like a witch hunt. Wonder who is next? BTW I heard all those new Stihl 261's are blowing up real fast....

:pumpkin2:

That I believe is the main problem. It sounds almost like a witch hunt. Wonder who is next? BTW I heard all those new Stihl 261's are blowing up real fast....

:pumpkin2:

It isn't - but I never said there is a problem with saws that are properly tuned by the dealer at the point of sale, and properly followed up by the owner. There is no evidence to support that there is, and mine is just fine - set to run at about 14,400 WOT (when warmed up).

The Compression ratio HAS NOT BEEN LOWERED!!!!

The Timing Changed as well as the easy start recoil to make it start much easier....

BTW I Have a Mint Deco PS5100SA that just came up for sale

Scott

Last edited:
The biggest change, in my opinion, was the venting of the carburetor diaphragm. That was the biggest problem with the saw! However, it was an easy fix. My dealer did it on day one. He diagnosed the flaw before Dolmar did.

The Timing Changed as well as the easy start recoil to make it start much easier....

Scott

Yeah, when you filibuster, you have to pull stuff out of your azz to keep it going:hmm3grin2orange:

Just goes to show you...

Scott

Is that timing change enough to make the saws run well when set at below 13,800 rpm?

Someone said that the squish was larger than it used to be as well - isn't that true? :confused:

Is that timing change enough to make the saws run well when set at below 13,800 rpm?

Someone said that the squish was larger than it used to be as well - isn't that true? :confused:

SQUISH................................

Well that would depend on which generation PS5100 you were comparing to... Early saws used a metal base gasket that was thinner than the latter production PS5100's that used a fiber gasket....

Scott

Steve............ You got it all wrong they wanted a pic of a PS5100 not a 346 :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Scott

Have not seen one yet...................Seen a few of them other ones like I posted.......

Im still waiting for some pictures from the dealer that sold 50 and they all blew up.....................

Back