Blue marble oil test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have agreed to do a long term test of Blue Marble oil. The test will be performed on a new un run Stihl 361. I should be done with the test by September at which time I will pull the motor down and take pics.. Stay tuned.
FWIW the oil will be provided by Blue Marble.

The Blue Marble oil, Did you get it From Andy Bockholt?
Hunter

No they are not providing the saw. And, Mike is right in that the test is statisticly useless.
I am not selling anything nor do I intend to. I was approached by a fellow from Blue Marble after he read my comments here on one of the oil threads. Personaly I think the stuff is bunk as I have stated before, but we will see. Although a statistical analysis of wear, and the ilk can not be had from such a test. It is however quite easy to see if the oil has adequate deposit control, low smoke and some of the other claims BM has made. In particular I am most sceptical in regards to claims of deposit control considering the base oil type they use. Like I said we shall see.
Hell, basicly its for fun. I always like puttering with crap like this and have done simular tests with some of the other snake oil type products like Opti and Amsoil.

Last edited:
It sounds like a consumer reports thing for oils, which is good, we can then know what oils are crap and what oils are good.

bwalker said:
No they are not providing the saw. And, Mike is right in that the test is statisticly useless.
I am not selling anything nor do I intend to. I was approached by a fellow from Blue Marble after he read my comments here on one of the oil threads. Personaly I think the stuff is bunk as I have stated before, but we will see. Although a statistical analysis of wear, and the ilk can not be had from such a test. It is however quite easy to see if the oil has adequate deposit control, low smoke and some of the other claims BM has made. In particular I am most sceptical in regards to claims of deposit control considering the base oil type they use. Like I said we shall see.
Hell, basicly its for fun. I always like puttering with crap like this and have done simular tests with some of the other snake oil type products like Opti and Amsoil.

Ben, with all due respect having the attitude you demonstrate above, the testing is obviously doomed before it even begins.

Why accept to testing BM if from the start you are biased and not objective ?

As far as Amsoil I have said it before, I use it, have for many years without any problems so far and no one has proven to me it is snake oil in any data I have seen.

I'm from Missouri, SHOW ME !

Lobo, all I said was that i am sceptical of the claims they have made when combined with the real world results I have seen.
As far as amosil goes. I ran quit abit of 100:1 it last summer at the reccomened 80:1 ratio. The plugs and piston crown looked dirtier than the same motor ran on MX2T at 32:1. In fact Esso easy mix performed much better from a deposit standpoint. I might also remind you that in a two cycle deposit formation and wear are very much related. there are many other concerns I have with 100:1, but this is not the thread for that. I am glad you have had good luck with it thus far.

bwalker said:
I might also remind you that in a two cycle deposit formation and wear are very much related.

You will get no argument from me on that one. I agree 110%.

Ben, you may be perceived as the Cliff Clavin of AS but oil and oil related matters is an area you have my complete trust. Looking forward to your results.

Last edited:
No insult intended Ben remember we have a lot in common starting with relatives in Mexico. Seriously, many AS members here depend upon your expertise and experience with petroleum products to discern the various claims made by oil producers. I look forward to your posting of results in September.

Frank, what else do expect me to do when i am marrooned in NW ontario in the middle of no where for 4 months straight. Gives me something to putter with during my very minimal off time. I also have the ideal setup because the pieces of equipment are used by multiple persons.

Latest posts

Back