Blunders and freaky stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miko0618

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
I have to admit that on any given day some pretty crazy and sometimes idiotic things happen at work. I often thought of doing a blooper reel on youtube. So what stories do you guys have?

Last month i was chipping and a golfball sized nugget backfired and hit me right in the nipple! I expected to lift my shirt and see a missing nipple. Fortunately it was still there. A little bloody, but there. [emoji28]

jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom

It was a beautiful day!
. AS Supporting Member.
I have to admit that on any given day some pretty crazy and sometimes idiotic things happen at work. I often thought of doing a blooper reel on youtube. So what stories do you guys have?

Last month i was chipping and a golfball sized nugget backfired and hit me right in the nipple! I expected to lift my shirt and see a missing nipple. Fortunately it was still there. A little bloody, but there. [emoji28]

lol,,Senor Arriola,,,
I got a million.
Jeff

KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree

Terraphobic
Hmmm....the time a limb kicked around in the feed shoot and knocked my balls into my throat.....or.....the time i was in an awkward position with my leg spread and tried starting the saw between my leg and the starter rope broke and i punched my balls....that happened one other time and punched myself in the face...there are lots more i forgot about.

nbouley010

nbouley010

ArboristSite Operative
Some idiot that was working with us for the day was using a thick stick to hammer a wedge in a smaller diam. tree and busted the end off the stick. The busted end wrapped all the way back around the tree and and busted his swamper in the face 15ft from the tree. Knocked the dude out cold.

esmefuzh

esmefuzh

the time a limb kicked around in the feed shoot and knocked my balls into my throat
8ce3.jpg

imagineero

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Seeing someone punch themselves in the face when the pull cord breaks while starting a saw is a timeless classic and never gets old.

Went out to a contract climb once and the guy who ran the show wanted me to trim a big Jacaranda that was just totally ****ed. I took one look at it and told him no way I was getting in that tree, it was so rotten you could put your finger through it in a lot of places. It was big for a jacaranda too, 3-4' in the base and reasonably tall and no so spready for a Jacaranda, maybe 50' in height. Told him it needed to come out and he insisted it needed pruning, argued with him for about 10 minutes over the fact that it was completely unsafe to climb. He was insistent that it was completely safe. To appease him I put a throw line into it and said to him "watch this" and pulled hard on the throw line, expecting the limb to break off.

Whole tree broke at the base, and we both scrambled to avoid getting crushed. Came down and completely crushed a gazebo. The guy was furious, and said to me "what am I going to tell the home owner?". I said "tell him you saved his life". I didn't get paid, but I lived to tell the story.

pro94lt

pro94lt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Godda love the torn pants. .. I tore the whole ass out of mine once. Seems to be common with groundies but I had to go home and change

treeman75

treeman75

Addicted to ArboristSite
A few years ago i tried making my own big shot with a wrist rocket, trot line and big nut. I shoot it in the tree and it gets stuck on a little dead stick so i go and pull it and it shoots back and the nut about took my tooth out and i had to pull the stick out of my lower lip. I dont know what the hell i was thinking!

sac-climber

sac-climber

ArboristSite Operative
Mine is minor but I pay for it daily....

Removed a long hedge row of very dead Leyland Cypress' last year...drop it, drag it, chip it, pull forward to the next one. Naturally I left the truck running with AC on. I figured the dust in the truck was just from opening the door to move it, nope. Still blowing dust out the vents a year later. :rolleyes:

Robin Wood

Robin Wood

Go hard or go home
. AS Supporting Member.
Mine is minor but I pay for it daily....

Removed a long hedge row of very dead Leyland Cypress' last year...drop it, drag it, chip it, pull forward to the next one. Naturally I left the truck running with AC on. I figured the dust in the truck was just from opening the door to move it, nope. Still blowing dust out the vents a year later. :rolleyes:

Had to top a storm blown Eucalyptus at work, 2ft wide and 12~13ft high. Had no ladder, told myself screw it.
Backed up my pick-up close enough jumped on the bed started my saw and topped it, got down entered the cab and it was full with sawdust. Windows were down FML lol.

Did a job couple years ago, felled a medium sized tree limbed and bucked it.
Me and my groundie throwing felled timber across a huge drain, another guy on the other side catching timbers and stuffing it in the bush.
Dude was taking too long stuffing em' and i thought i could throw this 6in+ thick limb across the drain without hittin him, threw it flew across the drain all nice
hit a small tree turned towards him and hit at back of his head without him knowing and knocked him down cold.

imagineero

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
removing a tree at the wrong address,,,,, we got close twas up in canopy with saw running just as the bemused owner drove in er wots up lads,,, oh we're here to cut this down as directed er um nope,,, we wus in right street and house but the wrong suburb

We had one like that sub contracting a few years ago. As per usual the principal contractor just texted the street address and a description of the work (cut down a cypress in front yard). Got there and completed the work and left. Next day, guy rings me asking "what happened to you yesterday?" I was like "?". He says "how come you didn't do the job?" We talk back and forth for a few minutes until the pin drops that he'd sent the wrong address. Can't remember the name of the street but as is sometimes the case there was the same name street and behind it the same named avenue and he'd put ave instead of street. He had to go sheepishly knock on the door of the guy whose tree we'd cut down who was wondering that had happened to it (it was a good size tree!) and luckily he wanted it gone anyhow so he was only out of pocket the cost of the job.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Limbing some logs today and a small chunk of wood, maybe 3-4" around caught on the chain and shot right into my "begonias". Just the right spot that it dropped me to my knees and tears came blowing out of my eyes. :(:oops:

Freakiest was taking down a large tulip poplar with a crane. Working the trunk wood nice and easy. I'm tied into the trunk. I finish my cut, crane lifts it away nice and easy. I then noticed the large mound of fur at my eye level beginning to move. I had just opened up a raccoon den. I missed cutting that animal in half by about 2 inches. Luckily, it was during the winter and the animal was half asleep.