board certified master

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trees4est,
Are you going to have a look see at methulsa, the oldest tree.?:givebeer:

BMCA vs RCA

The original question was "what carries more weight?" To me its apples and oranges. As Treeseer states, a BMCA is knowledgeable in tree care(geared more to folks who are retained by home owners, businesses and municipalities to care for trees) and a RCA can write a report(more aimed at legal representation of trees). I would add to this "can write a report that would stand up against a opposing lawyer." There are many facets to the world of arborculture, It all depends on which path you want to take. ALL IMO.
I like letters behind a name. When Im sick I look for a MD. Taxes = CPA. AND when Im feeling frisky I like my wife to dress like a RN.
Be safe out there today.

BCMA/RCA - How much do they weigh?

The title, Board Certified Master Arborist, indicates that you are an expert in the field of arboriculture.

The title, Registered Consulting Arborist, indicates that you are an expert in the field AND are able to communicate your expert knowledge.

Communication can be in the form of oral or written. However, most entities seeking an expert's ability to communicate (attorneys, insurance companies, some municipalities) are looking for the expert's ability to write. Hence, the American Society of Arboriculture requires submission of written reports to become a Registered Consulting Arborist.

Which weighs heavier? It depends who you prefer or intend on working for.

As someone said, it all depends on who does the measuring.

The place where credentials will pay off is when you end up in court. Sitting on the witness stand and being asked how you justify your opinion when the profession has methods for establishing credibility will make you squirm.

Take a look at this thread to find out what a hack is:

http://tinyurl.com/qhduz

"I believe a “hack” is someone who knows they are doing wrong and continues."

Hackwork isn't found exclusively in trees. There are hacks that never leave the ground but have an affect on trees. There are hacks with mandated and optional certifications. I sure hope that I don't fly on any planes that are maintained or flown by hacks. When I had a tooth crown glued back on last week I trust that the dentist isn't a hack.

Hi Tom, suprised it took you this long to show up. You have your definition of hack, thats fine. You also speak of ending up in court. Maybe you can come up with a short word to describe the arborists in these examples. An ISA cert. arborist working for the city of Surrey, BC, knows about big fir snags leaning over a playing field and does nothing about it, even though they employ a tree service that is capable of removing them. They instruct climbers to make "wildlife" trees out of healthy conifers that have a lean over a private backyard, these trees, once "wildlifed" are now snags, by definition, one day they, like the big fir snags leaning over the playing field will fail. What is your term for these arborists (I have my own)? And how do you think they will do in court, under cross examination, when one of these snags kills someone? Don't be shy now, answer the questions with out going off topic.

I believe the question was: Which title carries more weight?

I was trying to articulate both the similarities and the differences in the titles.

Neither titles will make us experts in the litigation process. If it so happens that we end up in court as experts, both BCMA and RCA define one as an expert in arboriculture.

Certainly, however, an expert in palms who is not a BCMA or an RCA that can prove that they are an expert in palms will carry more weight than a BCMA or an RCA who has never studied or worked with palms.

treeseer said:
1996 academy was at Arbor Day Lodge in Nebraska, excellent place to visit if you like trees. Hazelnut orchard, deep woods, wood-fired power, Olympic pool, etc. They have a good variety of workshops there too.
www.arborday.org

2006 Academy was in a cramped hotel near Atlanta's airport. :confused:
are you teaching at the asca academy treeseer?

buddy

clearance said:
Hi Tom, suprised it took you this long to show up. You have your definition of hack, thats fine. You also speak of ending up in court. Maybe you can come up with a short word to describe the arborists in these examples. An ISA cert. arborist working for the city of Surrey, BC, knows about big fir snags leaning over a playing field and does nothing about it, even though they employ a tree service that is capable of removing them. They instruct climbers to make "wildlife" trees out of healthy conifers that have a lean over a private backyard, these trees, once "wildlifed" are now snags, by definition, one day they, like the big fir snags leaning over the playing field will fail. What is your term for these arborists (I have my own)? And how do you think they will do in court, under cross examination, when one of these snags kills someone? Don't be shy now, answer the questions with out going off topic.
cleearance my pal , is there a possibilty of a personal problem with you and the above mentioned individual? btw if i ruled the world it would be a lot different... anyway the tree service is responsible for doing what the city wants and making good (hopefully) recommendations about safety, targets etc. if you are the tree company and you think your going to court if this snag fails let them know verbally and with a letter in your opinion these trees should come down date it and keep a copy. and my goodness why so quick with tom your peppering him with questions like he is in court

I'd like to see it to, I cant believe the deadwood from them lays on the ground for 8000 years. Hey is that a BCMA test ? ?

BCMA- Questions

Dear all,

May i know how to register for the BCMA since we need 8 points to register.

The exams fee and admin. fee added up to USD600. Quite a steep amount of payment.

May i know how the questions will be raised, is the question similar to CA or Municipal or Utility ?

There's an application packet on the ISA website (International Society of Arboriculture) you download the app and mail in. You also have to mail in some other docs which are listed in the BCMA handbook.

The test is hard, I failed the first time and have yet to go back and re-take. It covers everything from risk assessment, climbing, appraisals, safety and on and on. Scenario based questions, 150 questions must score overall 75%. Study all the material listed on the recommended list you can get your hands on and bone up on the areas you are weak. Good luck!

jp:D

Bcma

Hi jp
Thanks for sharing.you failed first attempt ? Due to lack of study? How to improve before your next attempt?i believe most questions relate to USA and Canada context which is pretty hard for us in the tropical,currently it is not common to find one in Malaysia.

The truth is "does it really matter?" you can have all the titles you want & go bid a job, while the "hack" bids the same job for less & gets it......! So what did all those letters do for ya?....Nothing!!!!!

I have a bunch of wonderful certifications, lots of letters, licenses, registrations......big deal, it just cost me a bunch of money & I still get to watch the "hacks" out bid me & get the work....!

I like learning & still enjoy the trees but I have moved on from doing it on a full time basis & Im happier too!! dont get caught up in what organizations are selling regarding Certs. thats how they stay in biz, just fulfill your personal goals & be a professional...that will take you farther!!!

LXT...........

Back