Bone's New Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCatBone

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A pic of my new truck. I've been dying for a truck for some time now, and the old lady finally gave in. Previously my wood collecting efforts were severely handicapped. You like?

F250

My kinda truck ! I have the old body style F350/Powerstroke that replaced my previous wood hauler..... i lil 2wd Nissan. I was just plain making too many trips with my little Nissan !

Nice ride, cept its not a diesel. Gonna hurt come fillup time. 'Course at $4 a gallon my fillups hurt right now too lol.

attachment.php

I like your ride Huskyman. I thought about diesel, and for me it did not make sense. This is a third vehicle for me, and I just use it for shortish trips to the woods and the occasional pulling of a trailer. The V10 will haul anything I need to with ease. I can probably fix about anything that will go wrong with it also. Not true on the diesel side. The $4+ diesel fuel is scary stuff. If this were my primary vehicle or if I were using it to make a living, I would have went with an oiler.

Nice ride, cept its not a diesel. Gonna hurt come fillup time. 'Course at $4 a gallon my fillups hurt right now too lol.

Does it still pay at $4.00+ to have a diesel? I've wanted to get one for several years but am starting to question whether it's economical. My gasser can squeak out 18mpg if I baby it for about 70 cents a gallon less.

I of course understand the diesel will be more capable and durable I'm just starting to question the economical aspect of it.

[
Does it still pay at $4.00+ to have a diesel? I've wanted to get one for several years but am starting to question whether it's economical. My gasser can squeak out 18mpg if I baby it for about 70 cents a gallon less.

I of course understand the diesel will be more capable and durable I'm just starting to question the economical aspect of it.

The way I look at it, is if you pull really heavy loads long distances on a regular basis, there is no way around it. If you can afford the extra up front cost, extra maintenance and/or repair cost, then by all means you should get one.

As far as the fuel economy deal, take two trucks that can basically do the same thing, like a V10 Ford and a PSD Ford (the PSD can do more easier but..), my V10 can get 13mpg on the highway and some diesel guys claim 16-18mpg. If diesel fuel is $4 and gas is 3.20, then things even out. The more you pull a trailer, the more you should look at diesel.

If that's a short box, you are still making too many trips! Build side racks as high as the cab and a rear window protector or you will be sorry.

I am planning to get the back window protector. It is a long bed, and can hold a pretty decent load, but I do want a trailer too. I filled it up pretty dang full with some of the heaviest hickory I've seen and it barely squatted. When driving, could hardld tell it was there. :cheers:

nice truck you got there, almost to pretty to work.. i think you made a wise choice with the diesel for working. i traded my ol chevy 98 1/2 ton 4x4 for an old 93 MODOT 1ton with 7.3, was just afraid of tearing the 1/2 ton up hauling to much wood. the yellow beast came with new tires and brakes and on the highway i get the same milage or a mile or 2 better than the old gas guzzler. it has les milage also at just 150k, the 7.3 is just broke in and i agree, if your going to haul gotta go diesel, brother in law and sister in law both have 1 tons for hauling horses, one has deisel, other is gas, and the deisel averages 16 mpg with a load, gas only 8mpg. now the math is a no brainer even at a dollar higher the deisel is more economical.

The way I look at it, is if you pull really heavy loads long distances on a regular basis, there is no way around it. If you can afford the extra up front cost, extra maintenance and/or repair cost, then by all means you should get one.

As far as the fuel economy deal, take two trucks that can basically do the same thing, like a V10 Ford and a PSD Ford (the PSD can do more easier but..), my V10 can get 13mpg on the highway and some diesel guys claim 16-18mpg. If diesel fuel is $4 and gas is 3.20, then things even out. The more you pull a trailer, the more you should look at diesel.

That's kinda what I'm trying to figure out. I need something to haul a weekend warrior over the coast range but I'll use it around town from time to time as well. The diesel would be optimal but a gasser would do.

Nice truck Bones, the long boxes are the best.
I"ve the short box and a V-8, and I did build racks that are cab high so each trip is worth it. I"ve filled it with oak/cherry/hickory, and also had cab high log loads with the tailgate down, and still pull 12mpg. Empty It'll get 16+ if I'm easy on the gas pedal. On the days when there is a 14K# dump trailer behind me, I wish for the V10, but only on those occasional days.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck. There are some good deals around on the V10s and large trucks in general now due to the gas situation. Since I can leave mine parked, I'm really happy with the V10.

I like your ride Huskyman. I thought about diesel, and for me it did not make sense. This is a third vehicle for me, and I just use it for shortish trips to the woods and the occasional pulling of a trailer. The V10 will haul anything I need to with ease. I can probably fix about anything that will go wrong with it also. Not true on the diesel side. The $4+ diesel fuel is scary stuff. If this were my primary vehicle or if I were using it to make a living, I would have went with an oiler.

You say you can work on it? Well hope you don't get the common problem of coils or injectors going out... since you can't replace just one. Typically when you replace 1 you end up with a chain reaction. Coil packs are 800+ at my cost for many V10 models. The injectors aren't cheap and haven't been known to last long either. I gotta say though I like your truck lol

That's no firewood truck. First, there are no dents in the bed from where you tried to fling a small round in from 20 yards and slightly mis-calculated the trajectory.

Next, I don't see any wire needed to keep the bent tailgate from falling open when you've got a full load and are pulling out from an intersection.

There's no rust in the fender wells, and the exhaust system appears to be in-tact.

I'm not crazy about the fact that all four tires match.

That wind ram is toast.

and finally, those running boards haven't been ripped off the body from driving over stumps.

Check back in about 6 months...then we'll see if its a firewood truck.

You say you can work on it? Well hope you don't get the common problem of coils or injectors going out... since you can't replace just one. Typically when you replace 1 you end up with a chain reaction. Coil packs are 800+ at my cost for many V10 models. The injectors aren't cheap and haven't been known to last long either. I gotta say though I like your truck lol

Yes they are expensive, but so are the 7.3, don't get me wrong I love the 7.3 first generation PSD. The older 7.3 had injector O-ring problems, and the injectors seem to start going out at around 150,000 they are or were 300-350 a piece. The cam position sensors were trouble also, 180.00 from ford, 80 from International. In fact I just got a recall from ford the other day on that after 10 years of owning it. Torque converter problems wouldn't handle the power, dual mass flywheels coming apart. Fuel filters from Ford are 30.00, that need replaced at 15,000. about 55.00 in oil changes now, thats doing it myself. Than the turbo's, though mine is still going strong at 225,000. Exhaust back pressure sensor manifold tubes plugging up. Wow, now that I really thought about all I've been through makes me wonder why I love her like I do, Oh yeah it's paid for and still looks and pulls great.:cheers:

I was mainly speaking about the V10 problems. Diesel's run for such a long period of time that 150k problems are minor lol

I was mainly speaking about the V10 problems. Diesel's run for such a long period of time that 150k problems are minor lol

Oh I know, I was just giving the expensive side to the diesels. Yeah at 150,000 I guess isn't that bad, but when I replaced 5 @ $300 at one time wow the pocket book screamed rape!

Latest posts

Back