Boots for the beginner & homeowner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmoriss

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm purchasing my first chainsaw next week. At first it'll ride in the Jeep to clear trails on occasion, and later will see use on some 100+ acre land we plan to buy. I'm the kind of person who likes to buy good equipment and keep it a long time, so with that in mind, I'll be buying a Stihl 260 with a 16" bar.

I like to be knowledgeable and proficient in every activity I take on, so I've also considered all the safety gear necessary to keep my bits safe. :) The boots seem to be the priciest item, and I'm torn between the Royer 8614 and 7767. The 8614 is a professional boot with excellent protection, and the 7767 is "chainsaw resistant" according to the manufacturer. The 8614 is quite a bit more, so I'm hesitant. On the one hand, I'm a beginner and thus probably more susceptible to accidents, and on the other, I hate to spend so much on boots I may not wear that much (the 7767 are lighter and less bulky, so would see more use as regular steel toed boots around the property, etc.).

What do you guys think? Bite the bullet and get the pro model boots, or do you think the 7767 are plenty for an occasional user like myself?

Thanks,
js.

At $400 the more expensive one is prolly overkill for the amount you will use it, not to mention the colour!

I would go with the less expensive model, which as you point out could be used around the house and yard as well. My deux cents.

And made in Quebec to boot (pun intended).

I don't like steel toes for everyday work wear around the house - so I bought a pair of cheap walmart steel toe brand called Brahma for $25 today for chainsaw work and splitting (marked down from $37) - a pair of insoles and they are both roomy in the toe and not too bad to wear. Leather, goodyear welt, oil resistant soles and steel toes. If I was going to be using them a lot - then I would have purchased a better pair.

Timberland 8" steel toe boots on sale at Sears for $80 a couple of years ago. My chaps drop over the top of the tongue so I figure they are good enough for my needs.

I have a pair of Redwing Lineman boots that I bought in the winter of 1986. They have a steel shank, 2 inch heels and double leather on the parts that the trees may rub. I put them on at the base of the tree, and after the hooks come off, the boots come off, usually before I'm more that a couple feet from the tree. They probably have not walked more than a hundred yards on the ground. As soon as I hit the ground I put my New Balance walking shoes on. My point is, shoe's can be a very specialized tool. If you have safety concerns for your feet while you are cutting, get the best safety shoe you can buy, and only use it for cutting. Get the Brahma's or other boot or shoe for other stuff. After having severe foot pain for ten years my podiatrist taught me to never go cheap on shoes. The faster I get off those steel shanks the better. I'll take 2 minutes to switch from climbing boots to walking shoes while I rake up and load wood. If I were concerned about cutting on the ground I'd get steel toes without steel shanks for ground work. It took about a year to get my feet fixed, orthodics, and doctor visits. Now I have no problem jumping from one pair to another for specialized use, Joe.

These aren't chainsaw boots but they're steel toed, water proof, insulated & easy on & off. Herman survivors from Walmart. Think I paid $50. They run a bit small so get the next larger size.

HermanSurvivorBoots_1212219922.jpg

I use them anytime I'm outdoors, cutting wood, cutting grass of blowing snow. I don't wear sock with them and my toes never froze in the winter.

I just received the two Royer boots and could compare them side-by-side. I usually wear a size 11, and Royer suggested I buy an 11.5 for their chainsaw boot (model 8614 -- the red ones). I ordered a size 11 for their standard leather boot (model 7767). So, here are some observations:

- The regular leather boots (model 7767) look much thinner when compared side-by-side with the red chainsaw boots. Kind of a work-boot vs shoe look. :) The leather boots felt too long, but I was wearing some fairly thin socks. They could also use a better / thicker insole. The 10.5 might have fit me better, or the 11 might have been ok with a better insole. The boot was well constructed, but felt like a standard steel toed boot -- I couldn't detect much extra thickness from the kevlar, etc.

- The red chainsaw boot (model 8614) was quite an experience! Putting them on feels like you're putting on industrial-strength 'slippers' or something. They are _very_ comfortable and plush. Maybe that's not a surprise considering how much material is used. The inside has a nice quilted feeling. I have to say, they are the most comfortable work-type boots I've ever tried on. All this plushness could make the boot a little warm in summer though. :) I'd definitely consider wearing some thin high-tech perspiration-wicking socks in these boots. :) They are a bit bigger than regular steel-toed boots, but that's mostly because they're a 1/2 size longer, and most of the padding is in the tongue / shin area. The tongue will probably take a little time to take a crease and fit easier within the boot when lacing up. :)

So, as you can probably tell, I chose the red chainsaw boots. I look at it this way -- I'm buying boots in case the chainsaw hits my foot. The only boot that has a chance of fully protecting my foot is the red chainsaw boot. Period. It probably helps that it's such a comfortable boot too! :)

js.

Latest posts

Back