Bore Cut...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bore Cut,

I understand how to do it...

but my question is

When to do it??

I read on another thread where Ekka, (paraphrase) use a bore cut...when the tree has really tuff bark?

Are there other times when you use this method....???

Different trees where you like use this method???

Thanks

Canyon

I did a search on this sight, but didnt find anything...so thought i would start a thread on it.

Scott,

So basically the tree is so close...you can put a normal back cut on it..because there wasn't enough room???

Mike

There have been numerous discussions concerning different cuts, bore cuts included here on AS. I Google search the site with much better results.

As far as bore cuts, I use it exclusively ever since I saw it demonstrated. Just seems to give me better control and more time to beat feet away from the tree.

:cheers:

I accualy bore cut a fair amount of the time. If i have a tree leaning noticably, i'll bore cut it so there isn't as much fiber pull. If i have a tree big enough that i have to cut both sides, i'll bore-cut it and start working my way back (away from the notch) until i can see my bar come through the other side. Them i'll swap sides and cut towards the notch and then finnaly cut the back strap. My reasoning for this is for when i switch to the other side and start cutting, i already have a nice,straight groove to use, and i'm following my orginal cut so it lookis nice when i'm done to. That and people who have no idea what a "bore-cut" is are amazed when they see you do it.

There have been numerous discussions concerning different cuts, bore cuts included here on AS. I Google search the site with much better results.

As far as bore cuts, I use it exclusively ever since I saw it demonstrated. Just seems to give me better control and more time to beat feet away from the tree.

:cheers:

I will do a google search, thanks for the info.

Ya, does seem to give you more control.

Thanks

Canyon

Leaners

I use the bore cut on leaners, or when blocking down wood on a spar...On leaners it lets you jus release instead of getting the tree to fall part way and then your hinge close and the tree get stucka nd you back for more cutting...On spar wood, it allows you to just leave a small strap then put your saw away, get out a handsaw and a few pulls and its off. No trying to hold the spar and the chainsaw at the same time...Also when a tree is possiobly going to get hung up I use a bore cut with another bore cut right through the(perpidicular to inital bore cut) center of the strap. That way if it hits something, one of the sides will break off rather then the tree just hanging.
I do not use it very often, I thinkt he conventional notch and backcut works fine..I never use it when pulling a leaner the opposite way, I like to have a steady strain on the tree and then pull it as you start going thru your back cut.

Last edited:
Ditto

I accualy bore cut a fair amount of the time. If i have a tree leaning noticably, i'll bore cut it so there isn't as much fiber pull. If i have a tree big enough that i have to cut both sides, i'll bore-cut it and start working my way back (away from the notch) until i can see my bar come through the other side. Them i'll swap sides and cut towards the notch and then finnaly cut the back strap. My reasoning for this is for when i switch to the other side and start cutting, i already have a nice,straight groove to use, and i'm following my orginal cut so it lookis nice when i'm done to. That and people who have no idea what a "bore-cut" is are amazed when they see you do it.

Ditto....

Latest posts

Back