Bought a Husqvarna 257!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernOntario

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Brought it home on Friday; Met the guy, it fired up for him, he told me about some of the work he'd had done to the saw last year... so I bought it.

Got it home... wouldn't start.

One of the things he'd had done last year... new kill switch. Well, looks like someone messed up reassembling it, and pinched the kill switch wiring in the starter casing. It was on it's last legs... and finally shorted out and wouldn't start. (needless to say, I wasn't impressed when I got home to discover my new-to-me saw wouldn't start!).

Temporary patch on the wire, but had a weak spark, and it had been flooded by my attempts to start, so I left it for the night.

Picked up a new plug while in town today, threw that in tonight... stronger spark... started almost instantly. Now it runs great... but the bar isn't getting any oil. Took it all apart, cleaned up the oiling holes, loosened/cleaned the oiler adjustment screw... and tomorrow morning, I'm gonna fire it up and see if I've got the oil adjustment set right.

Stoked to have it running, and to have a new saw. Lost my old one a couple weeks ago... old guy I inherited it from decided he wanted it back.

I bought my 257 new in 97. It has been a good saw in spite of my long-time ignorance on how to take care of it. I have cut a lot of wood with it and it is relegated to camp/backup saw now. I did a muffler mod on it and it is the smoothest idling saw of all of mine now.

I think that it would perform best with an 18-inch or less bar, but mine wears a 20-inch just to match chains with my 359. I have considered selling it, but I just can't part with it. It has not failed me yet.

Hi, last week I bought myself a 257 (not the only one I saw, I have other 6) and are happy with your purchase

I like mine. It was my first saw that I bought... I now have many others:dizzy:

I took the plunge and did a home port job on it, just widened the intake and exh as much as I dared and then made a base gasket to bring the compression up. It really woke the saw up!:) Pulls a 20" full comp 3/8ths no problem. Try it you will be happy you did. Don't forget to open up the muffler too. Or be happy with what you have... Your choice

:cheers:
Bill

Latest posts

Back