Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's an observation, I finished the 3rd tank through this thing and it's been cutting real well. I figured I'd take a look at the plug to make sure it's not too lean. A few posts ago I mentioned that the bar nuts were way over torqued,I just figured some guy building poulans was either been working out, an idiot or mad at his boss. No big deal and I figure I'll get a new chain, no visual damage... Whatever. So I go to pull the plug and it's in there too tight to pull with the skrench by hand.
I grab a 7/8 end wrench as a breaker and can flex the handle of the skrench but no luck. No joke flex quite a bit. Now I know that I can get the plug out, but should I take it back now before I remove the plug and a large Chunk of the jug or what. I. Like this saw and have it tubed nice, if the plug bust loose without messing up the threads great but what if it does? I bought it at home despots, if I raise a stink would they honor the warranty? Or should I make them honor it now and start over with tuning and breaking in another one?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Grab your 3/8" drive ratchet and a 13/16" spark plug socket now give it a good firm smack with the palm of your hand. It will come loose.

It often helps when the saw is warm. So run a few noodling cuts to get it nicely warmed up and then give it a try like mentioned above. With all my brand new saws it is always the same. The companies drive in the spark plug quite enthusiastic.
When putting in again, I like to put a very thin coating with a copper stick only on the outer 3/4 and not on the inner 1/4 thread. This is what I use
http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-466863-Anti-Seize-Lubricant-Temperature/dp/B002A64RLA/ref=pd_sim_328_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=411FKPahSpL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0XJMVHB4WXH7R0EBG8YZ

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The saw was warm when I tried and I tapped a bit with a hammer on the skrench. I have been around quite a lot of 2 stroke engines and have never seen one this tight. I will go get it out, if it messes something up I'll just take it back.

I've never needed to antiseize a plug it it sticks after proper install I'll use some (I've got the aluminum and copper) those antiseize sticks and locktite sticks are the sh*t!

use an impact and socket it should come right out. but if not, hold them to the warrantee definately

Noodle,
Two years and it was dead? How many hours/tanks do you think it ran? How many acres you clear? What did it in finally? What did the piston and cylinder look like?

Some guys will get 20 years and 10 hours out of a saw. Other will get 2 years and 1000 hours out of the same one.

I used the sh!t out of it for 2 years. they were hard years for it. the piston rings are what gave out, but the cylinder was still in good shape, the piston was pretty rough, but probably could have been re used, but for 7 bucks I could buy a new piston and ring kit from e-replacement parts so that was a no brainer. why put an old piston back into it. but now I know I can work it hard and it will put up a fight til the end, then if it does shoot craps, I can rebuild it for under 50 and put her back to work. I love that saw.

Well I got the plug out! I swore I was going to see threads! All is well. The plug was a bueatiful cardboard brown. Two more tanks and she really is starting to open up, haha I may have added a few holes to the muffler. Checked again at the end of the day because she was running real good, the plug still was the right color! I bet with a real bar and chain this would really be a great cutter. Not bad for under 200.

Dang, 4 years later and this thread is still alive and well! :rock:

Getting some real world feedback and it seems there holding up really well. I guess these really are the best buy for a $200 saw for a whole lot of folks.

i have worked my way thru 'war and peace', and it was worth the effort. you actually have me thinking about buying one. thanks.

Newbie here, would changing the bar to 16" net me any gains? What about a chain upgrade off the bat?

What gains do you speak of? You looking for a race saw? :ices_rofl:

Just like any 50cc saw, it will pull a 16" bar better then a 20" bar if that's what your asking. There is nothing wrong with the 20" bar and chain that comes on it for a homeowner saw, no need to really change it out right off the bat unless you want to. If your only needing a 16" bar, you could change it right off the bat I guess, then you would still have the 20" if you get into bigger stuff later where you could use it.

LeBowski,
I have a thread on here you might find useful. It has some part numbers for a different bar and several chains. The 20" bar buried didn't have a problem on what I think was the dead alder I removed.

What gains do you speak of? You looking for a race saw? :ices_rofl:

Just like any 50cc saw, it will pull a 16" bar better then a 20" bar if that's what your asking. There is nothing wrong with the 20" bar and chain that comes on it for a homeowner saw, no need to really change it out right off the bat unless you want to. If your only needing a 16" bar, you could change it right off the bat I guess, then you would still have the 20" if you get into bigger stuff later where you could use it.

Nope, just want it to run well for a long time. Not afraid of tinkering but if it ain't broke....

Nope, just want it to run well for a long time. Not afraid of tinkering but if it ain't broke....

If you do get a pp5020av, spend a little extra and get it from a servicing dealer, and make sure it is started and run and tuned correctly before you leave the shop. Make sure it is rich enough it doesn't run lean, that would be my only concern with new saws in general.

I finally got one myself last month, but haven't done much with it yet, got a few saws to work on ahead of it. Told myself I would get the first decent looking used one I saw once they hit $100 even, and finally found one. Only started it and ran it ten seconds so far though, but it looks like it was used one time. I don't trust used saws though until I at least partially tear them down and inspect stuff, just waiting for another pack of round tuits...

Story, several years back, when my 20 buck used saw split the oil tank and it leaked into the fuel tank, I said enough already, had gotten my income tax check back, needed a good saw right then, so went to the local servicing dealer and got the cheapest new little husky they had at the time, a 137. Being a servicing dealer, they started it and retuned it and dang if that little saw still doesn't run perfect. And that was my budget then 200 clams.

I had gone from 1970 to, forget now, 2007? Something like that, with only running 10-20 bucks saws. Treated myself finally. And I know it made a big difference on the saws reliability just from the fact they have a wrench there with a clue who tuned the saw for me correctly. We have since become good friends.

Then a tornado hit, needed a much larger saw, and I found this site doing some research and got CAD and..oh man....HAHAHAHAHA!

Saws trucks trailers specialty tools and am half way to finishing my little shop now....gets addictive for sure.

Oh..years and years ahead on my firewood stash as well..that's the easy part..hehehehe

A better 3/8 chain makes a difference hell I'd keep a 20 on it. It's less you have to bend over to cut brush up

A better chain, and what would that be? The 72V chain that comes on it will cut right with the rest of them if you know how to set the rakers when needed.

Its a ton better chain then some of the other safety chains out there, like some of that Stihl chain....

A better chain, and what would that be? The 72V chain that comes on it will cut right with the rest of them if you know how to set the rakers when needed.

Its a ton better chain then some of the other safety chains out there, like some of that Stihl chain....
True. But the rolled over rakes and a flat file takes weeks to file down I had a few that I cut the rolled rakers off with a dremel and seem to cut better. The cutter itself is nice and hold a edge for a while

I hate vanguard chain and openly admit I can't set the wide rakers correctly .... It came on my 455 years ago just a question I want a 5020 when I find a used one right How is the antivibe I'd like to hear several opinions if this isn't thread hijacking

I hate vanguard chain and openly admit I can't set the wide rakers correctly .... It came on my 455 years ago just a question I want a 5020 when I find a used one right How is the antivibe I'd like to hear several opinions if this isn't thread hijacking
I think they feel better that the 4620avx less play in them. Only vibe I've really notice is piss revin no load. In a cut feels fine

Back