Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shave a small sliver off the inside of it and hit it with a butane torch. The magnesium would burn through your workbench and into the floor. Aluminum will just melt.

Nick

Damn that sucker is a runner for the money. I almost went and picked one up yesterday, but I ordered ak parts instead.

Good review Mark, btw I still think you should design a cool muffler mod for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post Mark. When I worked for the saw mill I asked the owner why he had poulan, and not more Stihl, and husky which we had those too. He said you could not beat em especially for the price, and to many guys backed over saws with a forklift, or left em on a customer truck or whatever. I was impressed good runners. Had a buddy that's all he bought cut tons of firewood with em loved em. I picked up a 330 pro a few years ago for my father in law used, and like new for 100 bucks. He loves it, and it always starts and runs good for him. Been real dependable.

Thanks Mark. I sure have enjoyed this thread. I better stay away from Lowes as it sure has made me want to go & buy one of these.

Well if you do stroll into a Lowes, see if they price match, then tell em Menards has em on sale for $179 and save yourself $40.

Great post Mark. When I worked for the saw mill I asked the owner why he had poulan, and not more Stihl, and husky which we had those too. He said you could not beat em especially for the price, and to many guys backed over saws with a forklift, or left em on a customer truck or whatever. I was impressed good runners. Had a buddy that's all he bought cut tons of firewood with em loved em. I picked up a 330 pro a few years ago for my father in law used, and like new for 100 bucks. He loves it, and it always starts and runs good for him. Been real dependable.

Norm, your boss wasnt a AS member was he? :hmm3grin2orange: He probably wouldnt have been making any money with those things other wise.

Really though I'm not getting into all that, and its not the reason for this thread.

I was curious, thats all, but even now I'm still curious some as to the why part of it, but I think I'm getting the why part down now.

On sale for $179 and most the time found for $200-$220. Turns out its a pretty decent little saw and a great deal for the money and in fact might be the best deal going right now for a Consumer/Homeowner chainsaw.

What has surprised me the most is this thing was ready to go right out of the box. Yeah I experimented with the carb tuning but really I ended up with it basically right where it started. To be quite honest, I bought 3 PP4218 refurbs a couple weeks ago and they were pretty much right out of the box also.

The 5020 though is only runnnig a few bucks more then the 4218's and there is no comparison between them, the 5020 is better all around.

While I have not had the chance to really cut much with this yet, from the testing I have done, I would have to say if some homeowner needed a one saw plan and didnt want to or couldnt spend alot, or like was mentioned someone needed a a cheap tractor/truck saw this one would have to be considered.

Mark, thanks for the thread & review.

I have my Husky 51 & Poulan Pro 4620), but I'd give the 5020 a serious look if I was looking for an inexpensive yet worthy 50cc saw. Hopefully one the fellas who posted having a 5020 will use it frequently and post a long-term review.

Maybe those new Pull-Ons aren't so bad after all ;) :D :laugh:.

Can you even still get an MS170 for $179.00???
I thought they went up along with everything else.

Mike

Mike the list on a 170 is $179 stamped rod and all lol. The 5020 really seems to be a good bang for the buck, and an above average box store saw. hopefully the manufactures will see there is a market for a middle of the road homeowner saw, a new mag case Poulan would be sweet.:cheers:

Ok, I couldn't stand it, one is on the way to Louisiana right now off evil bay.

Mark, be sure and make timed cuts in a block of wood to compare mine to or better yet, just hang on to yours for about a month and mine will be along shortly for comparison.

Maybe we can meet up at one of the GTG's to run them side x side and see what the difference can be. This ought to be fun.......

Ok, I couldn't stand it, one is on the way to Louisiana right now off evil bay.

Mark, be sure and make timed cuts in a block of wood to compare mine to or better yet, just hang on to yours for about a month and mine will be along shortly for comparison.

Maybe we can meet up at one of the GTG's to run them side x side and see what the difference can be. This ought to be fun.......

Dang Randy!!!

Patience isn't your strong suit is it!!!LOL:laugh:
Can't wait to see what you can make of it!
Heck in a couple of years this may make a whale of a build off saw.

Mike

Dang Randy, what he said. :hmm3grin2orange:

After seeing what you did with that 330 theres no doubt that 2050 will be killing 50cc saws left and right.

I'm not much into timing cuts but I might just for you. I think I'll time some in a oak log then send the log to you so they will be timed in the same piece of wood. My UPS man ought to love me. :laugh:

You all could save yourself a few bucks and get the clearance 50cc Craftsmans on Ebay. They look like the same saw. Probably returned on the Sears loaner program. Most of them don't look like they've may be cut a fallen branch and returned after the chain got loose.

You all could save yourself a few bucks and get the clearance 50cc Craftsmans on Ebay. They look like the same saw. Probably returned on the Sears loaner program. Most of them don't look like they've may be cut a fallen branch and returned after the chain got loose.

I've got a Sears Clearance store very near me, haven't checked out their stock in many years. Maybe it's time to stop in (just to window shop, of course).

Lowe's doesn't stock em here. Just a couple of green Poulans around $89-119, and one yellow model with a black top around $150. Little chance of getting a lightly used unit brought back by someone who just "borrowed" it after a windstorm took out a couple trees in his back yard, and returned it under Lowe's "no questions asked" return policy......Cliff

Hi Guys, I'm new around here, not new to saws tho, after reading this thread maybe I can add something. A couple of years ago I picked up a Poulan Farmhand 2900 46cc 20" bar with .325 chain so maybe a sprocket from one of these might fit the 5020. I gotta tell Ya how I got this saw, at a garage sale it was marked $7.00, not seventy, seven dollars, it looked nearly new and had 3 extra new chains still in plastic a scrench and a small bottle of oil.

I asked the Ladies what was wrong with it and they said it wouldn't start, I pulled it over and it had comp. so I gave em $7.00 took it home and pulled the top off and cleaned a 1/2" of crud off the air cleaner and it fired on the 3rd pull

John

Hi Guys, I'm new around here, not new to saws tho, after reading this thread maybe I can add something. A couple of years ago I picked up a Poulan Farmhand 2900 46cc 20" bar with .325 chain so maybe a sprocket from one of these might fit the 5020. I gotta tell Ya how I got this saw, at a garage sale it was marked $7.00, not seventy, seven dollars, it looked nearly new and had 3 extra new chains still in plastic a scrench and a small bottle of oil.

I asked the Ladies what was wrong with it and they said it wouldn't start, I pulled it over and it had comp. so I gave em $7.00 took it home and pulled the top off and cleaned a 1/2" of crud off the air cleaner and it fired on the 3rd pull

John

that's the way to score good saws!

Lowe's doesn't stock em here. Just a couple of green Poulans around $89-119, and one yellow model with a black top around $150. Little chance of getting a lightly used unit brought back by someone who just "borrowed" it after a windstorm took out a couple trees in his back yard, and returned it under Lowe's "no questions asked" return policy......Cliff

searsoutlet online has several (craftsman version, 50 cc), I just checked. No idea what stores are near you though.

Back