Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No doubt it would! You'd need a drive sprocket for lo pro that fit one of these though, and I don't know if that exists..
i got one on a 450 husky.... dont know of a rim drum for the 5020 ....... it would rock and roll if they made such an animal

You need to look at the pictures a little closer, look at the muffler, that pp4818 looks like an overgrown wildthing, I have a 5020 and a wildthing and the wildthing ain't fit to ride in the same truck as a 5020.

John
Ahh - are you looking at the pictures on the Home Despot site? I just went there and it jogged my memory. This came up before and they have the wrong picture. If you look at the IPL you'll see it's the same: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/e7/e7adbf26-24ce-4f9f-93c3-a99d84917260.pdf

Actually though, it is built a lot like an up sized PP4218 (which is just a Wild Thing with A/V and more respectable colors), although they got rid of the inboard clutch and added a metal clutch cover. The engine, porting and strato system, carb design and chassis is all very similar - and that is fine with me.

i got one on a 450 husky.... dont know of a rim drum for the 5020 ....... it would rock and roll if they made such an animal
I read earlier in this thread that they changed the crank diameter on the 5020, so I don't know if it would work.

I never seen a pic of a 4818

Here's the pic I found of several cases of the PP4818A saws (from the Southside Bargain Center site.) The pic on the boxes looks very much like the 5020, to me:
PP4818a-1.jpg

I finally tracked these down and cropped a bit more of the unfocused spark plug flat off most, to help with loading speed.

I shot these with a camera that has no manual foucus, So I had to guesstimate at an external target for distance and while constantly holding that half pressed shutter button,
then reposition the camera for every single shot. fun fun fun guys!!

p1050707 has 3 thin red lines in it to show the size area that a big fat drinking straw
rubbed in the oil. Just to give a little reference for the size of the damaged spots.

p1050703 I just tried to point some of the uglier looking spots and vertical lines.
The horizontal line from the ring skipping over the dingleberries sorta speak for them selves, I figure.

The rest are just shifts in camera position and the lighting angles will slightly vary
how the detail highlights show up.

I may try to reshoot some of these with the other camera that I have now.
It offers higher resolution and many more manual control options.
Copy of P1050707 crop 1 marked.jpg P1050703 crop 1 marked 1.jpg Copy of P1050689 crop 1.jpg Copy of P1050704 crop 1.jpg Copy of P1050708 crop 1.jpg
edit: hmm, looks like I might of got it without triple copies of the mugshots this time.

I still want to know if the bearing cap from oh perhaps say a 350 part # 503885901 Bearing Cup
could be tweaked into the pp5020 base? might take a bit slotting or something.
but what kind of sleeper might you be able to build?
Would be some intake swapping and so on, but what the heck
for getting real sleeper saw.

Yes I was blabbering about it in this thread. post 7
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/decking-a-350-cylinder.260274/
Think that Ive seen some unknown brands going in the teens price wise.
Who knows about quality till you buy...

I recently glanced at one somewhere and the fume rating sticker had the same displacement
as the saw was labeled.
I had been wondering about that very thing also.
Sorta dashed the hopes of watching for a deal on one in the event that I could somehow
manage to scrounge the funds at that moment.

I cant recall if it was late model, plastic homelites or poulans (perhaps both?)
that all were 42(?)cc yet labeled in a range from low 30cc up to 42cc.
Someone around here probably knows or maybe can recall the thread.

You could pull up the IPL and the Only actual difference between them was the bar lengths.
Too bad buying the lower priced "32"cc and grabbing a couple inch longer bar was within
a few pennies of being the same total cost as just grabbing the next size labeled saw
which came equipped with said slightly longer bar.

Was at the local Tractor Supply over the weekend and they had a customer-returned 5020 on clearance for $80. The manager said the customer had problems with it but they looked it over and everything was fine, and they suspected the owner just didn't know what they were doing.

I had to bite at $80. Took it back home and couldn't get it to run, but after reading this thread I knew exactly what to do. Dumped the tank and re-filled with premix 40:1, popped in a new plug, and then fiddled with the carb jets. An hour or so later she's running like a top and I've got a saw that will suit my limited homeowner needs for only $80! Can't wait to test it out.

Was at the local Tractor Supply over the weekend and they had a customer-returned 5020 on clearance for $80. The manager said the customer had problems with it but they looked it over and everything was fine, and they suspected the owner just didn't know what they were doing.

I had to bite at $80. Took it back home and couldn't get it to run, but after reading this thread I knew exactly what to do. Dumped the tank and re-filled with premix 40:1, popped in a new plug, and then fiddled with the carb jets. An hour or so later she's running like a top and I've got a saw that will suit my limited homeowner needs for only $80! Can't wait to test it out.
Win for you. Good to hear.

I bought mine for $80 also. It took quite a bit of fiddling with the carb settings to run right. It was a return to a farm store here and was supposedly unused but had been . Great deal for a saw and a case.

Can someone tell me what 16" bar and chain I am looking for to fit my new PP5020AV? I see alot of talk about a 16" bar and chain but no specifics, please can someone elighten me, this 20" is way too big :)

Back