Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. Maybe I should have started a new thread, but I figure the 5020 experts are here, so...

A friend of mine just bought a Poulan 5020 based on my recommendation. He bought it at the "save big money" store. It has a model number of PR5020 instead of PP5020AV.

I have not been able to find out what if any difference there is between this saw and the PP5020AV. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. Maybe I should have started a new thread, but I figure the 5020 experts are here, so...

A friend of mine just bought a Poulan 5020 based on my recommendation. He bought it at the "save big money" store. It has a model number of PR5020 instead of PP5020AV.

I have not been able to find out what if any difference there is between this saw and the PP5020AV. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks in advance.
I'd bet the 'R' is for reconditioned.

PP5020
s-l1000.jpg

PR5020
super_zoom.jpg

Same engine, carburator, and air filter. I picked through a pr5020 a little at tractor supply.

I have a new one in the shop. Ill post pics of whatever you want, let me know!
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure what pictures would tell me. I'm just wondering if there are significant differences that would make the PR5020 less desireable than the original.
Maybe you could tell me if the clutch cover is still metal?

I just downloaded and printed the IPL's for both saws. I hope to compare them more thoroughly today, but it seems like the new saw has new covers, etc, but the same engine components.

I got through the first page of the two IPL's for the new PR5020 and the original PP5020AV. The engine is mostly unchanged, notably the P&C, carburetor, muffler, and ignition modules are the same.
The most significant (?) difference is the spark plug which was RCJ-7Y, is now a HQT-1. There is a different part number for the piston ring, but the part number for the "kit" that contains the piston, ring, wrist pin and retainers is the same on both. That is a little confusing but not my concern right now.
I'll try to get through the other two pages today, and will post my findings if anyone is interested. (Does anyone else care?)

It is still metal.
Thanks Stckciv, good to know.
Can you tell me what the bar of the PR5020 has stamped on it? How many drive links?
The IPL of the PR5020 says 72DL in the description of the bar, but 70DL in the description of the chain. Both part numbers differ from those in the IPL of the PP5020AV.
I think the PP5020AV chain is 70DL. Not sure why they would change that.

OK, here it is in a nut shell. Besides cosmetic differences between the PP5020AV and the new PR5020, the biggest "real" difference that I was able to find is the location of the chain tension adjuster. It's on the front of the older model and on the side, near the bar nuts, of the newer PR5020 model.

I'm done now.

I think it's Husky's way of selling multiple brands of the same saw - like GM did with cars. Check out the new McCulloch CS50! It's a re-stickered Poulan PR5020. Whatever it's called I still like all 3 of mine.

Back