Bought a Stihl 280 yesterday after work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a camp less than a year ago and have been cutting more wood this year than normal. I have cut 10-12 cord of wood every year with my 38cc Poulan for the past 12 years, but will be cutting much more from now on. The Poulan still starts right away, runs great, is still cutting well, but I felt I needed something bigger.

I have been mulling the 250 or 280 for a month, then last night I said "Heck with it, I'll just go buy the 280." So I now have a Stihl 280 for big cutting and will use the Poulan for limbing.

I have been used to the low kickback bar and chain and am kind of leary of the Stihl because it didn't come with low kickback equipment. i will go back to the dealer today and ask if he could swap bar and chain for me. The bar on the 280 was the one that normally is on a 290 as it says 'Farm Boss' on it. In 12 years of casual cutting I have never come close to an accident, as I am very cautious but would feel better if the saw had low kickback gear on it.

get the safety stuff if you want it

Well if it makes you feel more comfortable...I'm not going to try to talk you out of it...the dealer should stock low kick stuff for that saw and unless you've done a lot of cutting with it, I'd expect he will swap out the bar and chain. However...the bar is almost sure to be a green label reduced kickback bar...but the chain will be a 26RS yellow label chain. You should be able to get green label 26RSC3 or 26RM2 at any Stihl dealer...is this a 20" bar...if so you've got 81 drive links of .325(I'm assuming) or 72 DL of 3/8"...but I'm preety sure you'll have .325 on there. Looks like a nice saw I hope you have a fun safe time with it,
J.D.

Agree w/ Diesel. I beleive ALL FarmBoss bars are green label.

You shouldn't rule out RM till you've run it. I've not noticed any kickback running RS even. But I do consider what/how I'm cutting w/ it.

I think if a competent cutter is running yellow chain and is aware of the greater kickback potential, they might actually pay more attention to what they're doing...'safety chain' can lull one into thinking it won't hurt you.

Safety chain is more forgiving of some forms of bad technique. Not all of 'em.

Proceed at your own pace. Congrats on the 280!

Thanks for the responses guys.

If FarmBoss bars are 'green' label, I will give the pro chain a shot.

I am always very, very careful when I cut. I respect saws very much and know one mistake can cause a lifetime of regret. I saw my father's friend cut off 2 fingers one day and always think of that when I am cutting.

Diesel, I chose the 16" bar after trying the 20 and 18. It felt better balanced to me. I am 5-8 with short arms, but they are pretty powerful little arms.;)

280sthil

i have a ms280 stilh with 325 rs chisel chain run great after muffler mod has good power you will like this sar has 3.75hp

Back