bought my dad a stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBolds442

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hay guys I bought my dad a stihl 250 for Christmas it has the 18 bar on it I was just wondering if that was a good saw. He don't cut too much wood maybe a cord or two a year for me. He has been using an old craftsman or homelite and I just am tired of hearing how the saws won't start or they are running bad. It seemed like a nice saw for the money power and weight.
thanks and you all have a Merry Christmas!!!

My cutting buddies run them and they are good saws for the money. He will like it.

I have a 250 and am very pleased with it. Your Dad will be pleased as well.

Rob

My Mom gave my Dad a Stihl 031 for Christmas in 1975. They are both gone now and I would never part with the saw, it was his favorite and has cut alot of wood. Great gift. Doug

Hay guys I bought my dad a stihl 250 for Christmas it has the 18 bar on it I was just wondering if that was a good saw. He don't cut too much wood maybe a cord or two a year for me. He has been using an old craftsman or homelite and I just am tired of hearing how the saws won't start or they are running bad. It seemed like a nice saw for the money power and weight.
thanks and you all have a Merry Christmas!!!

Thats a great firewood saw.

My only concern would be..........If on X-Mas he gets you a 460??

Any dad would love any saw his son got him for Christmas so don't worry about that. He will love the saw, the 250 is a great firewood saw, they run very well.

Steve

I don't mean to be a downer, but I've had one (025) that was fine, but I've seen 3 others (ms250) that were a royal pain in the rear. Didn't want to start, in and out of the shop all the time, didn't want to run good. Mine was an older saw that I picked up used, but the other three were nearly new. In fact, my BIL bought one of them brand new, and another was the warrentee replacement for it. Neither he nor the local Stihl shop could get the first saw to run right. That shop is now gone, and in the mean time he was able to get a replacement. The replacment will run okay once you get it started, but it's a real pain to start. He PAID another shop to rebuild the carb (should have demanded warentee work), and still no better. Dad and I have been telling him since the begining that he needs Stihl to send him a free carb, but he won't push the issue. It's now sitting in the corner of his shed and he uses a new 455 instead. What ever that problem was, I hope Stihl got it fixed.

I don't mean to be a downer, but I've had one (025) that was fine, but I've seen 3 others (ms250) that were a royal pain in the rear. Didn't want to start, in and out of the shop all the time, didn't want to run good. Mine was an older saw that I picked up used, but the other three were nearly new. In fact, my BIL bought one of them brand new, and another was the warrentee replacement for it. Neither he nor the local Stihl shop could get the first saw to run right. That shop is now gone, and in the mean time he was able to get a replacement. The replacment will run okay once you get it started, but it's a real pain to start. He PAID another shop to rebuild the carb (should have demanded warentee work), and still no better. Dad and I have been telling him since the begining that he needs Stihl to send him a free carb, but he won't push the issue. It's now sitting in the corner of his shed and he uses a new 455 instead. What ever that problem was, I hope Stihl got it fixed.

i , and lots of others could go on about what a plastic piece of junk the 455 is and all the things that weve seen go wrong with them, but thats another thread :D

sounds like your BIL just needed to find a stihl shop that knew how to tune the 250, if the only problem was starting it

He don't cut too much wood maybe a cord or two a year for me. He has been using an old craftsman or homelite and I just am tired of hearing how the saws won't start or they are running bad.

If he's cutting for your benefit and has been having trouble with his saws, this is the best thing you could have done.

For the quantity he's cutting, that's probably ideal.

I permaloaned my 260 to my wife's dad. He does little felling, but uses that for dropping and cutting what he considers bigger wood. 90% of his cutting is done with an 017 and occasionally my 210. He burns about 4 cords a year.

18" bar's a bit large for a 25 would run a 15 on it myself still a nice saw

Thanks for all the input and I was going to get him something a little larger but I have a husky 455 and I know he don't like to lug it around the 250 seemed lighter so that was a big selling point for me knowing he will use it, and not leave it sit. I know my dad it is hard to get him to change up and use something new so it has to be close to what he is use to.

Fantastic gift for your Dad. I'm sure he will love it, it's a great saw for a person with his amount of use. He'll be very proud that you are his son.

Can't go wrong with a Stihl. I gotta get my new 660 out this weekend for a date with some big rounds. 36" bar should do the trick.

Latest posts

Back