Brain freeze on an 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Okay, I'm apparently having a mental block. Last year I managed to run my beloved 028 over with a large Ash tree. Cracked the case bad, pretty much killed it. Got another 028 parts saw and from all I could see it has a fine P+C and has good compression, just needed a carb, covers, tank, etc. Transferred things around and here's where I'm stumped. The carb was perfect on the other 028 but I don't seem to be getting enough fuel on this one. Filter appears good, line appears good, no rips and tears I can see in the boot. It'll run for a few seconds on starting fluid and then seem to pick up a bit of gas, runs for maybe 15-20 seconds and appears to die out. No weird noises, no indications timing is off. All the good parts off the dead 028 went on this one- plugs, filters, carb, boot, etc.

I'm a Husky guy, not a Stihl guy. Am I missing something entirely obvious?

A carb sitting around for even a few months can have the soft internal parts go stiff or even swell with the new fuels being pumped out there, check your carb, it may need a kit.
Also check to see if the impulse line is tightly connected at the cylinder base.
Pioneerguy600

On a saw of that age you might as well replace the fuel line, impulse line, carb kit, and fuel filter. Regardless if they are good now it may not be long before they go bad on the job. That saw is about 25 years old.

028 tune up

I have to agree. Granddad told me years ago that "new saws run like new, because all the parts are new".
4000fixed

Took it all apart today, check all the lines, verified no cracks or holes anywhere, same for the boot. Did a general cleanup and reassembled. Same 'ol. same 'ol. Checked the carb out real well and nothing looked amiss, blew it out real well. still wouldn't start for more than a second, but had excess fuel coming out the carb on pulling over. Happened to find a carb kit and decided "why not". Started on the first pull. Got me. All I know is the thing has great pickup, idles fine and seems to top out right.

Hey, it runs and now I've got another saw in the herd.

Took it all apart today, check all the lines, verified no cracks or holes anywhere, same for the boot. Did a general cleanup and reassembled. Same 'ol. same 'ol. Checked the carb out real well and nothing looked amiss, blew it out real well. still wouldn't start for more than a second, but had excess fuel coming out the carb on pulling over. Happened to find a carb kit and decided "why not". Started on the first pull. Got me. All I know is the thing has great pickup, idles fine and seems to top out right.

Hey, it runs and now I've got another saw in the herd.

Kep using starting fluid and you will have more parts saws also..

Latest posts

Back