Brand Blindness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brand loyalty is a funny thing.
Years ago when I first started using chainsaws I was a Stihl guy. Partly because my dad was and partly because I had never seen Husky saws.
Then in the late 90's, while living in Upper MI I starting really running saws between logging and firewood cutting. What I found was that during that time period Stihl saws were crude turds compared to Husky saws. It's came full circle now and stihl is finally producing competitive saws. Although this was partially due to technology transfers from Husky to Stihl and from out right copy catting.

You guys are lucky, the Stihl dealer near me won't try to sell you anything. matter of fact you have to go find them and ask a question if needed.

My limited experience at the Stihl dealers is that they put the stuff on the shelf and wait for you to carry it to the cash register. Or some other facsimile of telling them "I'll take this one".

Well...didn't intend this to morph into an oil thread. I was just annoyed for having to listen to a brand-blinded infomercial laced with a liberal amount of B.S. It seems that the misinformation and disinformation plague is not just for politics, the media, and kooky culture. I'll get off my soap box now.

We all know at your age and lack of eyesight you need an Sig with a double stack just to hit a trainer at 25 yards, not to mention that fall in the shower basically turned you wrist into balsa wood. on another subject, I’m going to need a word with whoever was in charge of the upkeep of the bleachers outside your house, I sat down the other night and a rotted board let go, landing me In a pile of something that smelled like the exes cooking.

I know we were issued 40's for the state for a few years. I loved them.
But after fed testing and research they went back to 9's with 147gr winchester ranger t was issue. Guess to many folks couldnt control recoil on follow up shots and the 9's showed putting the round in the torso on follow up shots with 147.

To clarify, you never had anything go wrong with a Husky in 50 years ? Do you use them ?
😊 I was joking, but to be honest they have been very reliable and never had a crank go, only the normal hickup but if your on top of regular maintenance your more than half way there. And yes they been very well used but not so much the last few years, they run the same but sadly I dont.

Ballistically, 40S&W is better than 9x19. Don't give me this crap about "new bullets". 40 gets those bullets too. It comes down to weight and capacity. Compare a fully loaded G17 to a G22. The G17 holds two more rounds and weights 4oz less. I own a bunch of 40 cal pistols and I am a big fan of the cartridge. All the same, my carry guns are 9mm or 357.
40S&W has been declared dead more than once but this time it might stick. LE agencies are all dropping it. Many new models don't support it any longer. It's a better cartridge but it isn't better enough.

😊 I was joking, but to be honest they have been very reliable and never had a crank go, only the normal hickup but if your on top of regular maintenance your more than half way there. And yes they been very well used but not so much the last few years, they run the same but sadly I dont.
Well, all the Huskys I had always had solid engines, just all the other stuff would drive me crazy.

My 7900 certainly is a real good saw I would never sell.
Seen a 6401 cooked for 300 last year. Should have took the chance on another one. Last two weren't toasted too bad. Cylinders were good but the ring was pinched with transfer in the cylinder walls. Those saws cleaned up fairy easy. Have those in 47mm and 54mm. New jug and piston was updated for the 7910 52mm OEM. I'd like to find a used 7900 cylinder.

Back