Brand loyalty vs. logic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be loyal to any manufacturer that takes a stand with the EPA tards and keeps fully adjustable carbs.:msp_scared:

The only brand loyalty I have is with 28oz Estwing hammers and Budwieser beer, every time I try something different I'm dissappointed. I love running 2 cycle power equipmen, all the top brands are in my favor.

I guess I'm a dealer loyalist. Whoever's going to provide the best service and support. I started out with a used Stihl saw, and the local Stihl dealer has been really good to me. Turns out there's an equally-qualified Husky dealer nearby, too. Both Stihl and Husqvarna put out superior products, IMHO. If I were to start over, knowing what I know now, it would be a hard choice between the two. Reasons I'd stay with one or the other is the Stihl switch flips up to shut down and the Husky switch flips down, AFAIK; might be a safety issue in a tight situation if I forgot which saw I was using. Also since the Stihl dealer's treated me right, I want to return the favor as a matter of good business practice.

Ditto. It's Husqvarna for me though.

I hear ya jeep,

we all have our favorites. There are a lot of damned good saws out there.

If I have learned anything about saws over the years, the best thing by far is learning to file a chain.

Any saw is near worthless without a razor sharp chain!

Yeah i agree on the sharp chain. self feeding sharp chain on a good running saw.

That is the secret,

I'd pay $1000 dollars if someone could build me a saw that could run with a blunt chain as good as a stocker with a good chain.

I hate wasting time lovin' me chains.

Well, certainly can't argue with that.

If a brand or dealer does well by you,reward them with your loyalty.I used to run stihls but as i got older they began to put my hands to sleep so i switched to Jred/Husky for the AV.I then found they had a better feel and I enjoyed using them more so I've stuck with them.I've still got the same dealer as he sells both Stihl and Jred so I'm fortunate that way.

Dealer support. Enough said. I have Stihl dealer that is close to me. If he doesn't have a part I need it's there within 2-3 days. It could be as small as a $.05 part or $100 and they order it for me. I also know the mechanic/tech he calls me when he runs into issues while working on saws. We share a ton of information with each other. The Husky dealer well, it would be nice if there was one within 50 miles of me????

My brand loyalty is based on what works for me.

The XP saws opened my eyes 12 years ago.

I have a good dealer that sells both top brands.

"Sawtroll" :msp_biggrin:

Oh well here goes

When it comes to OPE, particularly chainsaws, I've never been brand loyal. I am however ferociously dealer loyal. I do business with the shop(s) that know their products, provide service, and most importantly work to earn and keep my business.

The reciprocal I've found is also true. If you want the dealer to treat you right buy from him and don't whine because he's a few dollars higher on a saw than somebody else without a clue. And as the 2 saw shops I use always say to people that come in and complain about a price because they can buy a sprocket, box of files, chain, etc. from the internet for $1.00 less, "go buy it" They can do that because they've built and expanded their business on servicing loyal regulars, knowing full well that if a potential customer won't spend and extra $.50 for a part, they'll never buy a big piece of equipment if it's $10 more at his shop than at another.

In terms of brand / manufacturer loyalty, nothing wrong with it as long as you understand you're limiting yourself. That is truly a personal decision only you can make. I've always bought the tool / equipment that best suits my needs, not what some one else says I should. In some cases I have to pay more, but I have the satisfaction that comes from knowing I have what I need. In other cases a bargain has appeared and I've been able to take advantage of it because I'm not brand loyal, and trust the dealer(s) knowing they care about keeping me as a customer, and they're not going to screw me and lose my future business for a couple bucks.

Rain has stopped, so will I, I'm going to make chips.

Take Care

I certainly agree with the above comments.:clap:

Around here, about half of the Stihl dealers are John Deere dealerships and saw sales really take a back seat to catering to wood cutters. Of these dealers, the one who is less bad $crewed me on an Stihl 028 I picked up on CL. At the time I was not aware of this site. The saw had a bent handle, it was in excellent condition and an air leak probably from a torn intake boot. The dealer wanted $200 to fix it. I am not sure, but feel this is excessive, I ended up selling it to him for what I had in it, $50. BTW, he fished money out of his pocket to pay me rather than running it through the till too.

I was very interested in an MS260, (261's weren't out at this time.) He told me, "you don't need a saw like that " and tried to steer me into a MS290. Keep in mind I had an 028 Super already for 20 years and wanted a pro saw like I had in the past.

I then met the Husqvarna dealer who deals exclusively on chainsaws and is where the loggers in the area go. Without ever meeting the man he adjusted the tune on the New Makita 6401. When I asked him how much he said nothing. Since then he gave me very good prices on a 346XP and 562 XP and is selling me a Tech lite bar for cost. He also sold me chainsaw boxes for $25 & 30 and a pair of Husqvarna chainsaw pants he got on clearance for $25. He has given me some tips on getting the David Bradley's I picked up last week too.:clap:

So you guys are right, dealer support is a big thing.

So for me it boils down to would you rather deal with a guy who is cool to talk to and helpful, or someone who is condescending and tries to $crew you??:popcorn:

i agree dealer support helps,i went to my dealer,which will not be again in the future!!! stopped by to see if some parts came in,nope-ok no biggie i understand,but while iam here,i have this saw i bought at yardsale,and i like it,thing is it runs little hot to me,so i adjust carb,took off muffler look ok but its cat muffler,plug rite and good,so on so,so what you think,any ideas be helpful i told him........he said well you know they run lean and get hot,and that saw chain brakes broke so i cant work on it...........umm when i first started cutting wood went to him sold me a saw without chainbrake,then bought new zero turn mower, then new weedeater,then new ms361----bars,chains,so on so on!!! way over $6000 dollars spent in last 6 years ,i guess time for a change:(

Brand Loyalty vs. Logic.......

I started this whole CAD thing about a year and a half ago. I have extremely limited time using the saws that I purchase. But I feel in that year and and a half I have a good amount of time fixing them but still ALOT to learn. As far as "LOGIC" goes, I think I have a good eye at looking at anything and coming to the conclusion of whether something is built right or wrong.

The pro saws I find for cheap are STIHL. Not a lot of any other brand where I live. So a few months ago I decided I needed a Husqvarna XP model saw to see what they are all about. I picked up a 357xp which was manufactured in 2005. Again, I don't have a lot of time running this saw but after seeing how it was built I don't need to. I was shocked when I saw how the impulse line gets from the cylinder to the carb. I have an 028 which is how many years older and there is a nipple on the case and one piece of hose. That is it. There are like 4 or 5 parts on that 357 that the impulse line has to go threw before it gets to the carb. Are you serious? STIHL saws get a bad wrap because of there lack of technological advances. Maybe they have done this to focus on building there saws like like a tank. To me I would rather have a machine that does what it does day in and day out to a machine that has the latest bells and whistles. Perfect the basics before moving on.

Again I am no expert by any means. I did not see alot of Husqvarnas around so I bought one to try it out. I am not saying that all Husqvarna saws get there impulse line the same way as this 357 does. All I am saying for this to be my first professional model Husqvarna saw, I was extremely disappointed and will find it hard to out of my way and spend a decent amount on any Husqvarna chainsaw. For me a professional tool not only has to perform great, but also has to be built to last.

Just my two, not going to get in any shouting matches over a piece of metal and plastic. Lets just all have a :beer: and TALK about saws.

:cheers:

i agree dealer support helps,i went to my dealer,which will not be again in the future!!! stopped by to see if some parts came in,nope-ok no biggie i understand,but while iam here,i have this saw i bought at yardsale,and i like it,thing is it runs little hot to me,so i adjust carb,took off muffler look ok but its cat muffler,plug rite and good,so on so,so what you think,any ideas be helpful i told him........he said well you know they run lean and get hot,and that saw chain brakes broke so i cant work on it...........umm when i first started cutting wood went to him sold me a saw without chainbrake,then bought new zero turn mower, then new weedeater,then new ms361----bars,chains,so on so on!!! way over $6000 dollars spent in last 6 years ,i guess time for a change:(

Hmmm.........Wasn't a Stihl dealer was it.:msp_rolleyes:

logic: I want a saw that is dependable- starts when I want it to, cuts what I need cut and will last a long time. Pro, non pro it really doesn't matter, not yet anyway. More time spent on this site may change my opinion.
brand loyalty: lean towards Stihl because of the dealer and I try to stick with American made products when possible.

I like what I like, cuz' I like it...who needs reasons?

one thing I can guarantee...your logic is wrong, and my logic is right :chainsaw:

-----

isn't it just a macho-nacho-man game we all play here on the interwebs anyway?

are some of ya'll serious pugilists regarding your brand fisticuffs? :msp_scared:

I'm an equal opportunity offender.:msp_w00t:

Honestly, I would prefer to work on a Stihl Pro series saw than the other brands. That said, I like my Dolmars and Husqvarnas too. Just today I rediscovered a Stihl dealer that I think I can depend on. I'll continue buying parts and pieces here and there, including our AS sponsors, but have no real allegiance to any brand. There are also Echo, Crapsman, and a McCulloch in my assortment. :chainsaw: Each has its own strength or purpose.

I JUST came back inside. It was a beautiful day, and I was expecting delivery of my looooong bar, but that didn't happen. I decided to get the 'ol 3120 out and dust it off. It took a few pulls, and you have to pull like you mean it, but it soon began making its music. I forgot how LOUD it is:dizzy:. Anyway, with it still idling, I pulled out the 660 and started it, and then the 440. I would never have described a 660 as being petite or svelt until I looked at it beside the 3120.:msp_scared: And the music.....each with its own tone and distinctly different. HELLO NEIGHBORS! :hmm3grin2orange:

If you've never run a 3120, ya just gotta do it!:chainsawguy:

Back