372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustTom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here. Not really a saw guy so guess I'll get some lumps in here. Been burning at most 3-4 cords a year in a massive open fireplace for years and am considering an insert for next year and possibly an owb down the road once I see how increasing my firewood production goes. Only saw I've ever used is an ms-260 with 18" bar that I bought new maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Always done the job but with so little wood needed, I can just casually pick and choose right size and leave what I thought was too big. But I'm thinking that maybe I need a bit beefier bucking saw for larger stuff and becaused I'll be running it much more. I have about 32 acres of appalachian hardwood to pick from. Nothing too massive and plenty of deadfall oaks, hickory, etc..

Thought about an 046hat maybe an 046 but missed opportunity to look at a couple. Now, I've found an older 372xp with a 20" bar that I've found locally.

As I said, I've never ran anything other than my own 260 so nothing to compare to. Understanding that I'm not suffering from cad, or even brand bias, would it make sense to consider adding a larger saw, or should I just stick with what I have?

Would a 372xp be a reasonable bucking saw or too much for my purpose?
Anything in particular I should look for that would be common problems for them?
What would I expect to pay for an older one (9-10 yrs) in really good shape?

Should say that I have stihl now because I have local dealer. Don't really have local husky. I'm not particularly mechanical. The expertise in here dwarfs anything I could ever hope to learn.

Be gentle, I'm new ; )

Don't let anybody know where you live or that 372 won't be there. I believe the 372 is considered one of the best, if not the best, saws Husqy has ever made. It would work well for your 2 saw plan ( a 50cc and a 70cc) is a very good combination.

As far as what to look for and what to pay,,,I will leave that to others with more expertise than I. Good luck and welcome to the circus.

I'll agree with Hinerman...Great saw, lots of power, versatility of having two saws...def helpful if you pinch one up. You should be able to keep warm for years to come with those plans.

Unless that 372 was pristine, I wouldn't pay more than 350 for it. More if it's like new or an XPW. That saw may run for years with no repairs, or it may be about to lose a line, boot, seal etc. buying a 10 y/o saw is inherently a bit risky. If you can get a good price, then put a 24" on it and enjoy the 70cc experience

Look for missing screws along the outside as more than likely the hole's threads are gone is the reason the screws aren't there?
Some are easy to fix and some not.
The screw for the brake handle on the starter side.
The screws for the inner dog or spike are often stripped out

Get it. Great saw. Same as my Jonsered. Tons of power. Way more than my 361 Stihl. I think in good condition you'll pay between $4-500.

The 372xp is one of the best saws ever made. Just check the screws from time to time for tightness. Only downside is not having a Husky dealer locally. Would work nicely with your 260 as a 50-70cc 2-saw plan. $400 would be a good price if it runs perfectly. Repair parts will be available for a long time.

New guy here. Not really a saw guy so guess I'll get some lumps in here. Been burning at most 3-4 cords a year in a massive open fireplace for years and am considering an insert for next year and possibly an owb down the road once I see how increasing my firewood production goes. Only saw I've ever used is an ms-260 with 18" bar that I bought new maybe 12 or 13 years ago. Always done the job but with so little wood needed, I can just casually pick and choose right size and leave what I thought was too big. But I'm thinking that maybe I need a bit beefier bucking saw for larger stuff and becaused I'll be running it much more. I have about 32 acres of appalachian hardwood to pick from. Nothing too massive and plenty of deadfall oaks, hickory, etc..

Thought about an 046hat maybe an 046 but missed opportunity to look at a couple. Now, I've found an older 372xp with a 20" bar that I've found locally.

As I said, I've never ran anything other than my own 260 so nothing to compare to. Understanding that I'm not suffering from cad, or even brand bias, would it make sense to consider adding a larger saw, or should I just stick with what I have?

Would a 372xp be a reasonable bucking saw or too much for my purpose?
Anything in particular I should look for that would be common problems for them?
What would I expect to pay for an older one (9-10 yrs) in really good shape?

Should say that I have stihl now because I have local dealer. Don't really have local husky. I'm not particularly mechanical. The expertise in here dwarfs anything I could ever hope to learn.

Be gentle, I'm new ; )

One, don't be intimidated by the mechanics of a saw, these are simple engines and are designed to be worked on. And with the internet, there's your dealer, especially for such a popular saw.

Two, buy it, you need and will use a 70 in eastern hardwoods.

I have a masterminded 372 and it will never be sold,, I have 16-32" bars for it,, when I bought it from evil bay a couple of years ago I gave 250 shipped and it was in new condition

I have had more 272/372's in my hands than any other saw. IMHO they are one of the best most durable saws out there. I know of 3 of them that I sold to friends that are still running great. 2 of the 3 had 2 seasons of run time on them with a average of 4-5 tanks of fuel a day in mostly hardwoods, when they were used to cut pine it was large timber. They are just a great handling and reliable saw. CJ

I cut 15-20 cords of hardwood a year, log and thin, but have No 70cc saw! :)

That said, the 372xp is one of, if not the best 70cc saws ever made!

Not to worry too much about not having a dealer handy, alot of the guys here would have no problem giving 90% of the dealers out there a real spanking. And they are usually more than willing to help a guy figure it out. Husky parts are way easier to find on the net, than stihl parts. FWIW.372/2171 are fine saws.

I have a masterminded 372 and it will never be sold,, I have 16-32" bars for it,, when I bought it from evil bay a couple of years ago I gave 250 shipped and it was in new condition

can i purchase this saw from you ?

Go buy it if it runs, and show us some pictures. I dinked around and missed one last month that sold for $300. Actually he didn't respond to my emails and when he added his number I missed it until it was too late.

IMHO there's a time for buying and a time for talking, this is buying time....

Go get it before someone on here finds it and buys it. Good saws when ported.

Don't be afraid to buy used, but make sure of what you're buying. And if you are into stickers and porting, that's fun too. Great saw.
DSC08043_zps72beb37d.jpg

Back