372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After missing that 372 I had to settle for a project 268/272xp. I'm all ready in it for almost $300.... It had a 52mm Mahle cylinder and piston on it, but the piston was pitted, the pto bearing was trashed and it was missing the air filter (and it's bracket was broken), recoil, sprocket cover, cylinder cover, throttle linkage, etc... I also wasn't happy with the condition of the PTO case half (useable but beat to heck), so I bought another. It's much easier to buy a whole saw than a list of 20 year old parts.... but my saw will be new and built by me.

BTW I bought a Mako sprocket cover assembly and it is really nice. There's one left on ebay.

You will love the saw, and we will help you take care of it!

Post some pictures of the saw or the for sale ad so we can see it. A lot can be told from the cosmetics alone but I wouldnt base my buying decision on that alone. Fortunately for you, you picked a great saw that will bring you lots of smiles. That saw with a 24" bar feels right at home in ones hands and should be big enough for anything you come across. Dont worry about dealer support, you can always get support from the site sponsers here. From what I have read they are some stand-up guys, no doubt.

You should ask the seller to show you how much compression it has, or bring your own compression checker and verify how healthy it is (you can borrow one from an autozone if you do not own one, they will tell you the proper way to use it if you ask as well). Any 2-stroke I intend to buy gets a compression check before purchase at a minimum. You should expect a healthy 372 to have minimum ~130 psi. Price is subjective based on age/location/condition of the saw. I have firm personal rule when buying used items, never pay asking price no matter what. I will walk away from a sale if they wont negotiate, even $20... unless I already know its a good deal.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and going easy on me. It was very helpful. I took a little ride this afternoon and came home with a very shiny 372xp, a scrench and 3 extra chains. Also gave me the name it's registered under. He said just to let me know it wasn't stolen and to use if I needed dealer help. LOL, I didn't know saws were registered like wedding gifts or my livestock. Told me if I didn't like it to bring it back and he'd give me my money back. Very nice gentleman.

Regarding the wood burning insert........ I'm trying to save everyone from making the same mistake I made. Don't waste your money. They suck. They eat too much wood. And they rely on the blower for heat instead of convection. I got the best cast iron insert on the market and wasted a ton of money on it. Get a real stove and stuff it in the fireplace opening.

I forgot y'all ogle pics of saws like hungry teenagers, lol. I've been lurking for a while so haven't looked at how to post pictures yet, and had to go directly to little league practice so didn't take any. I'm still getting used to this one finger typing tapatalk thing so pics will take a bit more reading. I'll just say price was within range mentioned above, and some will say I paid too much and others not enough, so I figure I did ok.

I just take pictures with my phone and down at the bottom of the posting there's a box that says "upload a file". Hit that button and choose a picture off your saved pics in your phone, wait til it loads, click the button that says "full size image" (I think) and it should pop up in your post. Then click the green "post reply" button and your done.

+1 on what mike said. I made the same mistake too. An insert is better than a fire place, but not like a stove.

Wow, thanks for all the replies and going easy on me. It was very helpful. I took a little ride this afternoon and came home with a very shiny 372xp, a scrench and 3 extra chains. Also gave me the name it's registered under. He said just to let me know it wasn't stolen and to use if I needed dealer help. LOL, I didn't know saws were registered like wedding gifts or my livestock. Told me if I didn't like it to bring it back and he'd give me my money back. Very nice gentleman.
You won't be disappointed with the saw, BUT how much experience do you have with saws? There is something about the weight, speed and power with these saws, they have a pretty good kickback with shorter bars. So just be aware of this and please be careful with it. My 372 is one of the saws I don't let too many other people run unless they are experienced with saws. Enjoy it but be careful. CJ

I couldn't find any help or instructions on pics, so here goes nothing... I don't wish to offend host, so if I should've did something different or not as much or something please let me know.

There was a little dab of bar oil underneath. Don't know if that's as should be with these, certainly is with my 260. Case always has a puddle when I open it.IMG_6627.JPGIMG_6628.JPG IMG_6629.JPG IMG_6630.JPG IMG_6631.JPG IMG_6632.JPG IMG_6633.JPG

Very nice looking saw! Mine seems to drip a little oil also, I don't worry about it too much.

You won't be disappointed with the saw, BUT how much experience do you have with saws? There is something about the weight, speed and power with these saws, they have a pretty good kickback with shorter bars. So just be aware of this and please be careful with it. My 372 is one of the saws I don't let too many other people run unless they are experienced with saws. Enjoy it but be careful. CJ
Diddly pretty much sums it up even though I've cut with mine now for maybe 13 years. I've only run the 260 so I never touched one until mid-thirties. When I was little, dad cut and we loaded the truck. Only thing I really know about saws is that I don' t do anything without ppe and that what I don't know can get me hurt, so I concentrate only on what I'm doing. Never felled a tree and likely won't. I usually cut with my BIL, who used to sell firewood in his younger days. He's one of you guys in that he says he just likes "cuttin'" and it's hard to get him to stop once he starts. I thought he was unique until I stumbled onto this site.

Just be careful with the 372. It's way more saw than a 260, and it will take a little getting used to. That is an awesome saw, your BIL should be jealous!

Back