Brand New 338XPT Low on Power?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to hear your saw is fixed, makes of wonder if i should play around 9th my carby a little. How does it compare to an 020 or 200t ?

I would really love to do the muffler mod but i am a little hesitant since i dont want to void the warranty.

Have got a similar problem with a 200t, it won't come even close to idling, the closest it'll get is about 2 seconds at a stretch, whereupon it gets lean and dies instantly, no matter what position the jets and butterfly, so obviously lean, was hoping just tatty crankseals or split manifold causing it, and not the carb, but these 200t's be troublesome bastads of saws sometimes, sigh, gonna have to strip this cow again, they're a bit too faulty and short-lived for my liking, gimme the long life husky motor anyday, now turns out it's the scungy zama carb alright, having just slammed in two new crankseals, and a new set of rings for kicks anyway, so tearing into the carb, out with the throttle shaft and out pops the dodgy accelerator pump, looks worn out and the o-ring is thinner than the piston, no doubt heaps of air hissing into the carb thru it, someone said one fix is just throw away the pump, plug the hole, tweak the jets richer and away ya go, and you may as well ditch the white elephant intelli- carb B.S. with it as well. A new 200T carb is 275 dollars down here, and only zamas available (as if you'd buy one at that shocker of a price), a 200T new is $1700, same as a new 361, a 660 around two and a half grand for krissakes. We look at the prices in the States with gritted teeth, but the zama carb can go into the rubbish bin, a free walbro off an old spare 335XPT should fit with a bit of hassle, will report back on how it goes

eyt.jpg

Have got a similar problem with a 200t, it won't come even close to idling, the closest it'll get is about 2 seconds at a stretch, whereupon it gets lean and dies instantly, no matter what position the jets and butterfly, so obviously lean, was hoping just tatty crankseals or split manifold causing it, and not the carb, but these 200t's be troublesome bastads of saws sometimes, sigh, gonna have to strip this cow again, they're a bit too faulty and short-lived for my liking, gimme the long life husky motor anyday, now turns out it's the scungy zama carb alright, having just slammed in two new crankseals, and a new set of rings for kicks anyway, so tearing into the carb, out with the throttle shaft and out pops the dodgy accelerator pump, looks worn out and the o-ring is thinner than the piston, no doubt heaps of air hissing into the carb thru it, someone said one fix is just throw away the pump, plug the hole, tweak the jets richer and away ya go, and you may as well ditch the white elephant intelli- carb B.S. with it as well. A new 200T carb is 275 dollars down here, and only zamas available (as if you'd buy one at that shocker of a price), a 200T new is $1700, same as a new 361, a 660 around two and a half grand for krissakes. We look at the prices in the States with gritted teeth, but the zama carb can go into the rubbish bin, a free walbro off an old spare 335XPT should fit with a bit of hassle, will report back on how it goes

eyt.jpg

Did you look at the spark screen?

dismantled the muffler and scratched out all the soot too

I would really love to do the muffler mod but i am a little hesitant since i dont want to void the warranty.

The only way I would do a muffler mod YOUR UNIT would be to buy a new or used spare muffler, mod it, and keep your factory one for warranty work.

Otherwise if it is running good, might want to leave it as is until warranty is out, ESPECIALLY since you have already had problems with this unit and others have reported similar problems.

Waylan

Yea i am def. going to wait. The saw is cutting pretty good now but still isn't broken in yet. So i will just have to wait and see. Thanks again guys!

hey guys little update on the saw...took it in and he replaced the carb for me. Its like a whole different saw. Thing really rips now. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Well, there ya go! I have two 335 Californaia, don't like them that much....the old one is very hard to crank over...has no auto decomp release. The newer one is not even broken in. I did just get a 2139 Jonsered, same saw, but I paid $350! Great little saw, but I'm getting rid of that worthless stock muffler (the gases blow right on your right hand--idiotic. How Iputup with that for years (I've run these saws since they first hit the market in 1997.) before I knew about modding sas and mufflers, I don't know.

Today, I'm going to take timed cut videos of the saw stock, then put on a ported muffler from my old saw which had bad bearings--it's the one that was always way faster than a 200T. I'll post the results. It'll be a big speed increase!

Stock, the saw is slower than 200T's with their screen removed.

. A new 200T carb is 275 dollars down here, and only zamas available (as if you'd buy one at that shocker of a price), a 200T new is $1700,

New LIST PRICE Zama carbs are less than $80 here... Maybe "someone" could post you one ;)

The 2 screw walbro from the 20T fits just fine, and has no accel pump to wear out. $20 or so used, if you can find them. Good luck on gettting another carb to match linkages..

Here's the husky's muffler 'mod' on a work saw, not pretty, but tear off the deflecter that 'deflects' hot gas onto your trigger hand(who's the nutter that designed these things?) and bung in a couple extra holes to free up the motor big-time. The plastic guard gets hot and eventually looks a bit grungy, but this scruffy looking guard has been subjected to about 5 or 6 years of 'heat treatment' and it's still solid as.
wrte.jpg

we3.jpg

New LIST PRICE Zama carbs are less than $80 here... Maybe "someone" could post you one ;)

The 2 screw walbro from the 20T fits just fine, and has no accel pump to wear out. $20 or so used, if you can find them. Good luck on gettting another carb to match linkages..

Lake, yeah the 335 carb on a 200t, the choke linkage is already compatible, the throttle linkage compatible with a simple re-shaped wire, the impulse hose connection compatible by removing the brass connector nipple, plugging it's hole with araldite, drilling a new 4mm hole on top and pressing/cementing a new right-angle nipple in place, the fuel hose connection nipple compatible by sliding it off then re-positioning it to the desired angle. Not quite plug and play but beggars can't be choosers...:( :givebeer:

ept.jpg

we2.jpg

well im ready to just throw this saw in the trash. This has been the worst chainsaw my father or I have ever bought. Its been back to the dealer three times now and will be going back for the forth time tomorrow. I used it up in the tree was cutting fine then started to bog down again and wouldnt stay running. So i sent it down and used the echo cs-341 (pretty good saw for the money) to finish up. I am going to ask for a refund tomorrow (doesnt even have an hour on the saw since it never runs right) and buying a ms200t.

A top handle husky that runs fine is a different story but that husky dealer is out of their depth if they can't sort a good one, serves husqvarna right, buy the 200t and tell em' to stick their 338..

Latest posts

Back