brand new chainsaw wont fire a shot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitter but optimistic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys,hope someone can help.
Bought a new (chinese) on line and it was delivered a couple of days later.
Only need to use it occasionally so thought it would do the job.Assembled it,only had to put the bar and chain on,added fresh fuel,and it wouldn't even give a splutter.There is no primer on this model.Thought check plug- Pulled boot off plug and the inner springy that attaches to the tip of the plug came off the lead.It attaches to the lead by 2 prongs that pierce the lead and hopefully make contact with the inner wire. So I fixed all that up and made it more secure, and modified it so I know it has permanent contact.Did the old lay the plug on the body and pull the cord trick only to find a tiny spark.Put it back together and tried again,still no kick at all.At this stage thought right,its going back.Emailed seller and they requested a video of it and gave instructions on how to take and upload a video.Did that and got the reply that the video didn't work their end and to do it again.Said they need it before can refer it to their mechanical area.Well at this stage Iv'e had enough and am not going to worry about all this crap over a $150 chain saw, so I take to it.Try the plug in my pole saw,big spark.Go looking for faults in the ignition system.Found the earth wire from switch a bit crimped,cut that and joined it again,pulled switch out,all connected.Tried it again, no go.Squirt of ether in plug hole,not a kick,down carbie throat,not a kick.Right, coil air gap-.012 seems fine.Go and buy new plug.Spark seems a little bigger but still no go,hasn't fired a shot.So have spark, fuel,but it wont fire,not even on ether. WTF. must not be sparking when in the hole.

Sounds like your problem is a poor connection from plug wire to plug spring. Try one like this and hit dead center on plug wire:

spark plug spring.jpg

And can't rule out bad coil.

Anything made in China should have the words “looks like”in its description. As in looks like a Stihl piston and cylinder. Looks like a husqvarna 365 chainsaw . I could see buying a fake hammer or screw driver but that’s about it

Thanks for that,that was first thought,have similar type plug spring except for 2 barbs.Have peeled back a little of outer casing and opened spring up and
sandwiched bare plug wire between spring coils as well so contact is there for sure.

Back to the basics. If you know you’ve got spark and fuel, all you need is compression to atleast pop. Is it super easy to pull the cord?

It has compression,can tell by putting thumb over hole and pulling cord.Its brand new.
I am stumped.You would think it would at least give one bang with a shot of what they call here
in Australia 'start ya bastard' ( ether) Definitely has spark out of the hole and a reasonable one too bluey white colour.

Do you have a compression tester? Sometimes it’s less than what you think with the thumb over the carb. Ain’t saying I’m right.

No I don't have a compression tester,Thumb was over the plug hole.Its brand new,they didn't forget to put the rings in,you can tell its got compression.

Check the gap between the flywheel fan and coil. Should be a couple of fasteners the ignition coil that can be undone so you can set the gap. A standard business card will get you where you need to be. Put business card between flywheel and ignition and do back up. To big of a gap will weaken spark.

Bought a new Baumr (chinese) on line and it was delivered a couple of days later.

.So have spark, fuel,but it wont fire,not even on ether. WTF. must not be sparking when in the hole.

??? weird you should get something a pop bang or splutter,,, can you take a picture of saw post it for us showing carby and the need to go bang bits,,,, oh um to be truly sure is there a piston fitted in the jug??,,, well you know just asking

It has compression,can tell by putting thumb over hole and pulling cord.Its brand new.
I am stumped.You would think it would at least give one bang with a shot of what they call here
in Australia 'start ya bastard' ( ether) Definitely has spark out of the hole and a reasonable one too bluey white colour.
I had a poulan 3400 that would spark with the plug out but not with it installed. Under compression it probly needs more juice to spark I'd check the coil. My problem was someone was a slob when putting bar oil in and the coil had years of crub on it and between the coil and flywheel. Being a new saw with what sounds like the same problem I'd be looking at the ignition.

If you bought the saw on eBay, resend the video and tell them if they don't give you a straight answer (will replace/will not replace) you'll open a claim with eBay. It's usually enough to get shady sellers off their ***.
Don't waste your time tinkering on it: if I buy something defective from the local Chinese-owned emporium, they'll just check I haven't damaged it and replace it on a no-questions asked basis. I don't see why it should be any different.

thanks James,spark under compresssion must be the issue.,can't see how it can be anything else.unless the seating washer on the spark plug is made of rubber.Can get a new coil off ebay (from China) for $15,might try that.This thing will not get the better of me. At the moment, its sitting on my bench looking at me.Wife thinks I am becoming obsessed.

thanks James,spark under compresssion must be the issue.,can't see how it can be anything else.unless the seating washer on the spark plug is made of rubber.Can get a new coil off ebay (from China) for $15,might try that.This thing will not get the better of me. At the moment, its sitting on my bench looking at me.Wife thinks I am becoming obsessed.
tell her not to get worried till you have 5 or 10 saws in the garage.:surprised3: good luck gettin you saw running.

Bought a new Baumr (chinese) on line and it was delivered a couple of days later.
Only need to use it occasionally so thought it would do the job.Assembled it,only had to put the bar and chain on,added fresh fuel,and it wouldn't even give a splutter.There is no primer on this model.Thought check plug- Pulled boot off plug and the inner springy that attaches to the tip of the plug came off the lead.It attaches to the lead by 2 prongs that pierce the lead and hopefully make contact with the inner wire. So I fixed all that up and made it more secure, and modified it so I know it has permanent contact.Did the old lay the plug on the body and pull the cord trick only to find a tiny spark.Put it back together and tried again,still no kick at all.At this stage thought right,its going back.Emailed seller and they requested a video of it and gave instructions on how to take and upload a video.Did that and got the reply that the video didn't work their end and to do it again.Said they need it before can refer it to their mechanical area.Well at this stage Iv'e had enough and am not going to worry about all this crap over a $150 chain saw, so I take to it.Try the plug in my pole saw,big spark.Go looking for faults in the ignition system.Found the earth wire from switch a bit crimped,cut that and joined it again,pulled switch out,all connected.Tried it again, no go.Squirt of ether in plug hole,not a kick,down carbie throat,not a kick.Right, coil air gap-.012 seems fine.Go and buy new plug.Spark seems a little bigger but still no go,hasn't fired a shot.So have spark, fuel,but it wont fire,not even on ether. WTF. must not be sparking when in the hole.
Could you post a picture
My china saws have been great runners
Not oem quality
But they are fun to mess with

Back